Chessington World of Adventures Resort

Engage with like-minded members and discuss the world of theme parks and attractions here.
Max

There's a Premier Inn literally right outside.
Formerly known as NemesisNosh
2016 Ride Count: 888
Justin

theparklifekid wrote:Its a "Bid to win" plan Justin, so whoever bids the highest for an item gets it.
Yes it is. I've got the bidding pack, but as some people bid, approx bids will be revealed as they will be either accepted or rejected.
alicheesy wrote:I know that some of the bids have got into the hundreds. Even one of the smaller items is currently at £250 so I'm not very hopeful for getting anything :lol
Thanks for the info, alicheesy :) . That is me priced out on what I'm willing to pay for anything.
Owen

I had my last ever ride on Bubbleworks today, and although it's sad I am looking forward to what is done with it. I feel it's certainly time for a refresh, looking at how the original theme lasted 16 years and the new (similar) theme lasted a further 10 certainly puts into perspective how in need of a decent refresh the attraction is!

One thing I do have to say as a very open minded individual is don't judge whatever the new theme is before you've ridden it, go in with an open mind and who knows, you might be surprised!
Justin

The trouble is Owen, the ride has created many family memories, therefore visitors will have some kind of attachment to the ride and will technically greive for the rides removal. Many of the children who rode the earlier Bubbleworks will have their own children too, therefore creating more attachment to this magical ride.

I do agree though, all good things have to come to an end. Although a classic, it is time to create new memories with a new theme. Bubbleworks does need work, so now is an ideal time to do it.
RoyalFool

Owen wrote:looking at how the original theme lasted 16 years and the new (similar) theme lasted a further 10 certainly puts into perspective how in need of a decent refresh the attraction is!
I'd have to disagree with this, the original concept was great (a wonka-esque pop factory hidden within brewery befitting of the Transylvania setting). It could easily have been a timeless ride if they had bothered maintaining it.

Instead, they let it fall into disrepair then sacrificed the original theme for a new sponsor in order to keep it shuffling along for another 10 years. Personally, I would much rather have a new and improved Bubbleworks (with prof.burp) than another IP driven Merlin attraction.

I suppose it can't get much worse than Charlie at Alton Towers? right? :nervious:

Tussauds group made the same mistake with the Haunted House, they had plans to spruce it up once a year with a new element but instead just let it coast for a decade until nothing worked and the UV lights faded then turned it into a shooter.
Owen

Exactly my point, it's about time for a refresh due to how negated it is. In terms of it being timeless - I don't feel that's the right word, nostalgic yes. The issue with Chessington is they constantly need to keep up with fellow parks, however their restrictions mean that it takes much more time and money to develop new attractions. I don't agree with this lack lustre attitude, something that's very apparent in Chessington however I can see why they can't install brand new attractions all the time. This then boils down to them needing a 'new' attraction, which in this case meant the removal of the Bubbleworks theme, going back to the original wouldn't seem new or fresh and so they will be redoing the attraction in order to keep the gate numbers rising.

I used to love the attraction, however I am still personally quite excited to see what is set to replace it!
archie.mm

Whats the rumour about a Gruffalo IP? I've been hearing it around and I'm not quite sure whether I could come to terms with Bubbleworks becoming a Gruffalo ride.
Justin

Just found this on Chessington's website...
Chessington World of Adventures wrote:THE BUBBLE WON'T BURST FOR ONE BUBBLEWORKS FAN

One enthusiastic fan of Chessington World of Adventures Resort's iconic Bubbleworks ride has bid an extortionate £1,310 on, quite literally, a bottle of bubbles from Professor Burp's famous factory.

A total of 43 different people have been bidding on the bubbles on eBay following the shock announcement that the brilliant Bubbleworks ride will be closing this September. Die-hard fans are trying everything to hold on to a piece of the ride, with some going to extreme lengths to stop the closure. To date there are three online petitions, with over 3,000 signatures, campaigning to change the ride's fate and one superfan even applied to change his name by deed poll to 'Professor Burp' in memory of the ride.

After listening to fans, Chessington World of Adventures Resort is offering Bubbleworks enthusiasts the chance to get their hands on various parts and props from the ride in a separate silent charity auction. Larger pieces include a number of factory workers, signage from the ride and other recognizable props including ducks and bathtubs. The current bid for a non-smoking sign is £600 with a 'men in a boat' prop going at £500. The auction is live until 3pm on Friday 2nd September with requests and starting bids emailed to bubbles@chessington.co.uk. The auction booklet and full details can be found here: https://www.chessington.com/press/press-pack/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

All proceeds from the auction will go to Chessington's Merlin's Magic Wand charity. The charity helps make magical days out for children who are ill, disabled or seriously disadvantaged. Bubbleworks is known for creating magical memories and proceeds from the auction will continue its legacy by sharing these magical moments with the next generation.

Emilia Montali, Head of Operations at Chessington World of Adventures Resort has said, 'We knew that the Bubbleworks ride closure came as a big surprise to park fans but we can't believe how high people are bidding to own a bottle of suds. With a total of 43 bids, it just shows how many people love Bubbleworks at Chessington and how many fans want to keep a part of the ride in their own homes."

The highest bidder, lucmcgettiga-0, was over the moon when she found out that she had won: "Having regularly visited Bubbleworks throughout my childhood, the ride has provided me with so many special memories and I'm speechless that I've won this unique bottle of bubbles from the factory. It is worth every penny and I'm proud to own this precious piece of memorabilia so that the ride's memory can live on in my home!"
Ryan.B

As is pretty much certain now, one of the UK based water rides is going to be turned into a Gruffalo I.P, with Bubbleworks being the ride that it is expected to be. It will be a Merlin ride most likely, but there are currently 3 Merlin water rides, with one closing permanently for a retheme (Bubbleworks) One getting a bit of TLC - *Retheme? (CatCF) and one undergoing 'redevelopment' , (Loggers)

I don't know why, but I can't see the ride system on Bubbleworks fitting into a Gruffalo theme, and the poster outside saying 'Factory under new management for 2017'. May be me overthinking things, but surely a few of the GP would be confused by the factory being bought by a gruffalo or mouse. Even though the majority see this as the most likely for redevelopment from what I've seen, it's the least likely in my opinion.

Onto Loggers Leap, this has been closed for a year pretty much, and appears to be in a very poor state. it does need a refurbishment, and I can't see Merlin closing this without announcing it would be closed forever, or spending an excessive amount of money on it without being able to sell it. It has slow parts, which could have theming and tell the story, is in a forest, like the Gruffalo, and the drops could be the 'adventure' it also fits in with family target Thorpe are generally heading for. I see this as being the in between choice.

The third, and final option is Charlie And The Chocolate Factory. This ride could be the perfect fit. It moves slowly, is designed to tell a story in a slow boat ride, and currently has an I.P which is running out which tells a story (although very poorly) and is currently closed for TLC. There is also a area with access to the ride, for all we know, work may have been going on indoors. This is in an area which most likely won't get planning permission for big major rides either. The ride system on here would be perfect for telling the story of The Gruffalo, and in my opinion is the most likely for it. Although I'm probably completely off, it does give a bit of food for thought!
Liam.W

Oh yeah, I didn't think of that before. 'SOLD! Factory under new management' makes it sound like it is just getting a new factory theme, not a Gruffalo theme.

Here would be my ideal situation with Bubbleworks: It reopens next year as Professor Burp's Bubbleworks, featuring all the original sets, characters and animations (With a bit of TLC of course)! :lol
Ride count since the beginning of 2015: 2632!
Ride count 2021: 416!
Cred count: 167!

Owen

See although that'd be good i'd personally be extremely disappointed if it were the old theme purely for "been there done that" reasons :lol! I am looking forward to see what the development holds, keeping an open mind as I go. If it's Gruffalo great, if it's something else great! I'm just glad it's getting some TLC after so long looking less than good! :D
Dom

So its Bubbleworks last day of operation today :(

It is sad that the time has come for the factory to close its doors, but at the same time i'm excited to see what the furutre holds. Out of all of Merlin's dark rides, its stood the test of time better than the rest of them and I do feel that now is probably the right time for it to close.

I'm not sure what to make of the rumours regarding the Gruffalo. On the one hand, I do think it is an ideal IP that could work really well, but then, as mentioned above, the factory is under new management, so there could always be a chance that a new factory for something will open.

The problem with indoor attractions is that we won't actually get any information until the ride is ready to be revealed, so I hate to say it, but we are just going to have to play the waiting game on this one, as painful as it is.
Stan.H

So so sad I haven't made my annual trip to CWoA yet, and therefore won't be able to have one last ride on Bubbleworks. This was the first ever dark/water ride I ever went on, and I have loads of special memories on this ride that are very close to my heart. I also guess I still the awfully catchy theme song to listen to :lol And last year, I was in desperate need of love! But I guess change isn't always bad... So I anticipate what the re-theme will be! Also, what happened to the Hotel Transylvania rumour?

Anyway,

#byebyebubbleworks
Liam.W

It's 5pm, which can only mean one thing. Bubbleworks has closed it's queue line for the very last time.

It's incredibly sad to see such an iconic piece of the British theme park and dark ride industry go, but after 26 years of taking passengers young and old through the factory, it's time that it moved on. I'll never forget the first time I rode Bubbleworks, from hearing the music in the station, to finally seeing the fountains in real life, I was in complete awe. My mouth was open from start to finish, not particularly for the reason that it is amazing, but more about how iconic it is and how many times I had seen it in pictures and videos, and to finally be riding it.

So I guess it's finally time to officially say,
Bye bye Bubbleworks.

Owen

After asking some people I found there was demand for a topic like this.

Seeing as Bubbleworks is such a nostalgic ride spanning over two decades, it's only necessary that people get the chance to share their memories and farewells to this attraction in its own topic (and so the refurbishment topic isn't flooded with this sort of thing!).

So, what are your favourite memories from this attraction, mine would have to be using my hand to angle the fountains to spray others!

Bye Bye Bubbleworks, you had a nice run but now it's time for something new! :)
Burniel

Owen wrote: So, what are your favourite memories from this attraction, mine would have to be using my hand to angle the fountains to spray others!
But that's not allowed! :O

Mine would have to be my first ever visit to Chessington. Back in 2006, I was young and remember very little about the whole trip except Bubbleworks. At this time, the Imperial Leather sponsorship had just kicked in, so whilst I'm sure it was still inferior to its Professor Burp predecessor, it was certainly fresher than the more tired state it ended its life in. At the time, it was my favourite ride ever and I distinctly remember queuing for it again at the end of the day as a "treat". The ride just made me so happy.

I've been lucky enough to live just a 10 minute drive away from this glorious slice of UK theme park history all my life, but it's time for something new. Bye bye Bubbleworks, 1990-2016, I look forward to the future.
Burniel | Great at theme park knowledge, not so great at designing signatures.
JonDoesTT

I only ever got to ride Bubbleworks twice, but I remember it being fun and wanting to go back specifically just to ride it again. I'm sure when it was a newer attraction it was even better, as I know a lot of the effects weren't working when I went. It's a shame to see it go, but hopefully whatever replaces it is just as good (and not gruffalo themed).

Credit to NemesisRider
Liam.W

Sorry for the double post but...

Professor Gruffalo's Bubbleworks!

I'm proud of that don't judge :lol

Theme Park Callum

Liam.W wrote:Sorry for the double post but...

Professor Gruffalo's Bubbleworks!

I'm proud of that don't judge :lol
I love that, great editing!

Personally, I would have to agree with Ryan.B, I think if a Gruffalo themed ride was to come to a UK Theme Park next year, I do think the transit system on Charlie and the Chocolate factory would be a better fit. It would also fit more in Cloud Cuckoo Land (make believe style theme) more than Transylvania at Chessington. With the IP on Charlie rumoured to have ended, it would be a great replacement. What I would like to see for the Bubbleworks replacement is an original concept from Merlin Studios, incorporating the Vampire/Transylvania theme into a new style ride with many effects. It's unlikely, but that's what I would like to see happen.
Nickolai

I believe TPC that Merlin renewed Charlie's Licence for this season just in case it was needed if there was high demand of families on park (eg. If CBeebies Land queues got crazily busy) But obviously that has not been needed yet and I don't think it will come back as I have seen from recent images they have put some foliage of some sort to try and hide the fact that a ride was there, and also the logo has gone. :)
Formally Smiler313