Chessington World of Adventures Resort

Engage with like-minded members and discuss the world of theme parks and attractions here.
Justin

MrsT2015 wrote:Did it twice last Saturday WOW I loved bubbleworks but this is so darn beautiful and magical. My mum came with us for her birthday and she loved it to. My one gripe is some of the smell pods do smell rather vile but I'm sure the will tone down in time
There have been a few reports from some guests that the smell pots are over powering, although I really liked them as it added to the ride :)

Dare I say it, I think I prefer it to Bubbleworks!
Owen

There are now "do not stand up" signs around Dragons Falls following the incident at Drayton Manor.
Robert.W

Owen wrote:There are now "do not stand up" signs around Dragons Falls following the incident at Drayton Manor.
I couldn't imagine anyone standing up on a log flume anyway... still, the signs are probably only their so that if an incident were to happen, Chessington could just say "we told you so!" I don't think signs actually make a real difference in people's safety, they just safeguard the park from any liabilities in the event of an accident.

Owen

Scruffy Dog have shared this image of a new project, and for some reason it screams Dragons Falls to me. They also noted the name is recognisable which both Chessingtion and Dragons Falls are. It could be entirely unrelated but I wouldn't be surprised seeing as Dragons Falls is expected to have a refurb similar to Scorpion Express at some point...

lewis97
Admin
Admin

Scruffy Dog have confirmed that the image is not related to Dragon Falls, nor any Merlin project for that matter.
Robert.W

What a shame! I was beginning to look forward to some sort of re-vamp of Dargon Falls! I guess it may still get one though a some point hopefully.

jdoughtyqpr

Vamp is the best ride on park in my opinion.

Riding very well today, even the organist was back working again!

25 minute queue, most I saw it all day was 45
Chris
Admin
Admin

It's a great ride - just wish they would give it some major TLC!
jdoughtyqpr

The section with the fox smelled rancid but it was supposed too.
Incredibly impressed with this ride - they've done a very good job. Chessington has some really well themed attractions.
Ladyofthelake

As reported on SouthParks News, Chessington have submitted plans for a refresh of the Mystic East area, including a re-theme of Dragon Falls.

If the plans get the go ahead, we'll be seeing 3 new interconnected tiger enclosures, as well as new landscaping and theming in the form of a tiger's head on the final drop of Dragon Falls which guests will pass through on the ride. The tiger tunnels which connect the enclosures will also potentially see the tigers walk over guests heads as they walk from one enclosure to the other.

This is very exciting news, and personally I'm so pleased that the tigers will be getting a much larger enclosure as their current home, in my opinion, is far too small. I also love the idea that one of the tiger tunnels passes over the drop for the flume meaning potentially a tiger could sit and watch you as the ride drops!
Dom

I must admit i'm rather excited by this and now that Lakey has put the image of a tiger watching the flume ride drop I want that to happen so much :lol

What will be interesting to see is how the rock work will actually look. The plans only give so much away and we won't have an idea of how it will actually look in the area until it is done. Hopefully they won't mess it up as if they get it right it could look magnificent.
lewis97
Admin
Admin

Even though this isn't a new major attraction it still looks like a really positive development for Chessington which will refresh one of the tiredest areas of the theme park.

Although not all of Mystic East is part of the planning application, hopefully the parts which lie outside of the planning boundary will also receive some general works to have them looking nice alongside the main development.
Luce

I love the idea of Mystic East receiving some TLC as it's overdue and will be nice to have some tigers to look at as well. Chessington has always been a pretty scenic park and this will be a nice addition.
Justin

The Vampire is a brilliant ride, but I must agree with Chris. I believe the station needs work to bring it back up to the standards it once held. It would be good to see the organ scene fixed, chandeliers reinstalled and some additional theming added to the brake-run tunnel.
Burniel

It looks like eight of Chessington's 28 humboldt penguins were killed by an urban fox around a month ago, with the news only just leaking. It appears that the fox broke into the enclosure one night in late June, killing eight penguins and seriously injuring a ninth (who will make a full recovery). This is in spite of the fact that the enclosure was built in 2015 with specific features to deter foxes.

Media outlets have been slamming the park over the past 24 hours for allowing this to happen and subsequently misleading visitors by putting a sign up at Penguin Bay saying that the penguins were in their "behind the scenes" enclosures as the park made rennovations to their public enclousre as an explanation for why the bay was empty. While this is technically true, the Resort did not acknowledge the incident as the reason for this publicly until this morning.

The park posted one of their "you may have read in the press ..." Twitter videos about the incident earlier. Disturbing news all round, and kind of shocking that it's only just come to light. RIP penguins.
Burniel | Great at theme park knowledge, not so great at designing signatures.
ROYJESS

I've just saw this in the media, very sad news.  You can't stop a fox that is determined to enter an enclosure, but I'm sure the zoo had done all they can to what they thought to be adequate precision to not only keep the animals in the enclosure, but other wild animals out. 

Personally I feel that the zoo was right not to inform the general public of the attack
Burniel

While I wouldn't have wanted them to announce what had happened on the sign or something like that, I think the fact that they didn't even acknowledge what had happened until the media picked up on it has left them far more exposed. Were they going to go on as if nothing ever happened and just pretend they still had 28 penguins? Though their reasons for shielding the public from the news are probably wise and well-meaning, it's made them look like they have something to hide when, as you've pointed out, there's not much that can stop an urban fox.

The video probably should have gone up earlier.
Burniel | Great at theme park knowledge, not so great at designing signatures.
Ladyofthelake

As reported by SouthParks News, Chessington have submitted plans for a 'Forest Segways Tours' attraction to be located next to the Go Ape High Ropes course in the Sixty Acre Woods. This will comprise of a 1600m long circuit which will take guests through the natural woodland in the area. Groups can be up to 14 guests with five, 90 minute sessions a day.

Liam.W

I'm so excited by this! I've done the forest segways at the GoApe located in Sherwood Forest, and it is fantastic! Really glad it's coming to chessie!
Ride count since the beginning of 2015: 2632!
Ride count 2021: 416!
Cred count: 167!

Justin

They also offer it at Go Ape Thetford, although I've never been on them there. It has been a while since I've been on a Segway, but when I go biking nearby, they always seem to be in use!

Just found a little video too!
[youtube]mMVq08a0sKg[/youtube]