Chessington World of Adventures Resort

Engage with like-minded members and discuss the world of theme parks and attractions here.
Swarm Chris

As posted on SouthParks social media, today is the 1st birthday of Tiger Rock and the new Land of the Tiger.

I found the redevelopment of the area a nice addition to the park. It certainly made better use of the area where Samurai once resided.
Swarm Chris

As posted by SouthParks, Black Buccaneer has been removed from the Chessington website, with the only reference to it remaining as a map marker and info page on the Resort's app.

Whilst the attraction had previously been listed both online and on park information boards as still undergoing winter maintenance, could this mean that Black Buccaneer will not return this season, or perhaps ever again?
GregH94

I thought Rameses would have been the next removal, not this - Buccaneer's younger than Blade and there were no problems refurbing the latter to basically new condition 
dominoes

Damn that's upsetting, Black Bucaneer was the only swinging ship I enjoyed, I hope it's only temporary...
Robert.W

From what I gather, ride staff there have been told that Black Buccaneer is now gone for good :/

Swarm Chris

And it is now confirmed Black Buccaneer will not be operating throughout the 2019 season.

I'm nervous of the language the Resort has used, saying to keep watch to see if it returns.
Dom

If it doesn't return, I wonder if they will sell it or move it to another Merlin park. If it is going to end up being moved, I wonder  if it will make an appearance at Thorpe Park. My Monkeys is getting rather old now and it is the sort of flat ride that could be a good addition for the park.

If it isn't being moved or sold, I wonder if they will use it for spare parts for Blade :lol

If it does return, will it be rethemed? so many question!
dickie001x

I’m sure it would be easier and cheaper to fix it rather than remove/move it elsewhere for some other park to then fix. It’s such a shame. I’ve not been on a better swinging ship.
Justin

No doubt it will be used for spares and repairs. After the trouble it had last year, I can't see it returning. I do hope that they get a replacement though as I really enjoyed that ride!
GregH94

Justin wrote:No doubt it will be used for spares and repairs. After the trouble it had last year, I can't see it returning.  I do hope that they get a replacement though as I really enjoyed that ride!
Was it down quite a lot last year? I only visited Chessington once in 2018
dickie001x

Yes, it didn't open until mid-May.
ProfBurp

Swarm Chris wrote:And it is now confirmed Black Buccaneer will not be operating throughout the 2019 season.

I'm nervous of the language the Resort has used, saying to keep watch to see if it returns.
I’m equally nervous of the language..could this be a repeat of Loggers Leap (Dare I say it) another make it sound like it’ll return....ahem ‘Splash back soon!’ to never actually returning at all. I’m not a fan of pirate ships personally but I know it’s extremely popular and highly rated by many people. It was certainly challenging to work on at times years ago.
Coaster Chall

I think that with Merlin Entertainments, they like to spread a major investment across their parks. The latest rumours suggests that Gardaland will get it in 2020 with their waterpark and also, rumours suggests that Chessington World Of Adventures will get a new coaster in 2021. We're not sure at the moment whether its the Juvelen type launch coaster or a pirate themed water coaster or anything else that wasn't in the long term development plan, but it is highly speculated that 2021 is the year.
lewis97
Admin
Admin

As posted on SouthParks social media, Chessington have begun advertising audition dates for Howl’o’Ween 2019.

The role description seemingly reveals that a new scare attraction, Spyders, will join this year’s line-up. It also suggests that Creepy Caves: Unearthed will be back for a third year, while the fate of Curse of the Lost Tomb and Trick or Treat Wood remains to be seen.

Morgan

A new video has emerged showcasing the park from 1991, and features some very rare footage of Circus World and Black Forest Chateau.
Swarm Chris

Morgan wrote:A new video has emerged showcasing the park from 1991, and features some very rare footage of Circus World and Black Forest Chateau.
This video made me happy!

The Chessington I remember growing up with. :love
Podulator365098

I think a family woodie would work quite well considering the success of Wicker Man. I think something like switchback at ZDTs could fit quite nicely if you whack a nice theme on it
Swarm Chris

As reported by SouthParks News, Creepy Caves Unearthed is set to have an extreme makeover this year, after Chessington World of Adventures Resort updated their website to offer a new VIP version of the popular maze.

Operating after the Resort closes, Creepy Caves After Dark will lead only the bravest adventurers on a 12 minute hands-on terrifying experience. Promising the most intense Creepy Caves yet, the offering gives warnings similar to those found at Thorpe Park Resort, including allowing actors to touch adventurers and that groups may be split up to have people face sections of the attraction alone. Prices for the attraction begin at £10 per person, and guests recommended to be 13 years or older.

Will you brave Creepy Caves After Dark at this year's Howl'o'ween?
Dom

It’s a very interesting thing! Out of all the places to bring back something like this, I am hugely surprised it’s Chessington. I suspect it will be a bit like going through Thorpe Park’s mazes in normal mode, but it’s still great to see a more adult version of Creepy Caves happening. I may have to squeeze in a visit to a Chessington
Chris
Admin
Admin

Chessington World of Adventures Resort have submitted a planning application for the “removal of 'Rameses Revenge' attraction and relocation of the existing Flying Jumbos ride, and development of a new drop tower attraction including new queuing walkways, new entrance portal, theming, associated hard and soft landscaping and incidental works”.

Overall the height of the proposed drop tower is 25.5 m from base of hollow (22 m above ground level). The proposed drop tower will be constructed in the same existing hollow in the ground. This will reduce the overall height of the tower above ground by around 3.4 metres.

The plans indicate that the new drop tower will be positioned within a giant open-mouthed crocodile head, that will incorporate various sound, lighting, water and smoke effects.

SouthParks News has the full details.