Chessington World of Adventures Resort

Engage with like-minded members and discuss the world of theme parks and attractions here.
owenjcornelius

The car ride thing needs to be removed and needs to be replaced by a themed attraction. I love chessington would be nice for them to get a new coaster. An upgrade to bubbleworks back to the original professor burp theme would be good. It would be nice to see some major investment as it is one of the best parks in the uk.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Georgie

OK, time to don the Sherlock Holmes cap and analystigate this thing! I've just come back from seeing the proposals in person and would like to report back!

First, let's focus on the animals. On the master plan, area 10 is listed as area for animal enclosures or an overflow car park. In fact, the staff member I was talking to even mentioned the possibility of moving the entire zoo into that one area of the park, leaving room in the current zoo area for new rides and staff facilities and connecting Zufari and Wanyama with the rest of the park. When I asked him about what effect that would have on newer attractions in the area such as Trail of the Kings, Amazu and the penguins, he responded by saying that it would depend on how far down the line the redevelopment were to happen and how big of an investment the replacement was to be. It's also possible for animal enclosures to be moved to other areas such as the picnic field where the new coaster is due to go, with the new ride going elsewhere.

On the subject of rides, the reason why the new for 2016 ride was cancelled was, as expected, due to the budget being moved to general park improvements such as what has been seen over last closed season. The plan does seem to be to add smaller new rides such as these over the next few years although he didn't know if those exact plans would be brought back from the dead.

In the pdf file, you can see 3 concept images for rollercoasters; 2 for what appears to be a jungle/temple-themed launched motorbike ride with the trains restyled to resemble a quad bike and one for a pirate-themed water coaster. I mentioned to the staff member that I had issue with another jungle theme being included and seemed to share that sentiment. He seemed to be a big fan of the water coaster idea, although I mentioned, as others on here, that the park does already have a few quite good water rides. I pointed out a part of one of the concept images resembled 13's drop track section and although he wasn't part of the marketing department so couldn't know for sure, thought that I was most likely right.

One other interesting tidbit I heard at the event was that since the "relocation of thrill rides to Thorpe Park", the visitor levels per day have been rather stable although noticeably lower, and that the park hasn't been over capacity at all, whereas previously the park has had to turn guests away frequently on busy days, causing problems with traffic. If the new additions were to increase guest numbers, I'd imagine that it would be small enough that the extra capacity gained from the additions would offset it enough to not cause any issues.

I think that's it. All the other bits I remembered were local residents complaining about traffic and green belt land, but if someone mentions something on here I'll probably remember something else to mention.
1. Helix | 2. Taron | 3. Nemesis | 4. Expedition GeForce | 5. Wodan
archie.mm

https://youtu.be/bYweckCkZ5g
Could we see something like this?
lewis97
Admin
Admin

Well the concept art featured in the consultation boards is just a visual for Juvelen with a cheetah from a Cheetah Hunt visual as well as some other cheetah related stuff :P
Georgie

Ooh, I haven't seen that ride before! I just assumed the ride was based on a Vekoma motorbike but this concept art seems to be entirely lifted from Juvelen. If it is an Intamin ride, with the elements of Juvelen and Cheetah Hunt then that would explain the drop in one of the concept images! Of course, like Lewis said, this is most likely just to allow people to get a feel for the ride so they can gauge interest in that kind of ride, like what we saw for Thirteen.
1. Helix | 2. Taron | 3. Nemesis | 4. Expedition GeForce | 5. Wodan
Owen

It's an oddly specific detail to include though, I really hope they will in use something like TH13TEEN's drop element as this would be perfect to add a bit more thrill to the ride - I'm happy to hear the lions and tigers should get much larger enclosures as well, as many people are unhappy with their current size. :)
lewis97
Admin
Admin

Chessington have submitted details of the lighting they intend to use around the site as well as more information about the play equipment that will be installed.

owenjcornelius

I really like that idea about moving the zoo or integrating the zoo more into the theme park to persuade people like me to visit the zoo section. Mystic east and wild Asia need to be combined to allow a more immersive theme at some times of the year they are practically in the same area. The Africa area is a bit rubbish and the zoo area could be used for a new Africa area which could be really well integrated into all of the African animals in the zoo. The car ride needs to be ripped out in favour of that land being integrated into one of the surrounding themed areas as it is very randomly placed. Something needs to be done about ticket prices on off peak days until all of this work is complete.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
JonDoesTT

The water coaster and family coaster look great. Hopefully they theme them very heavily, and make them different in some way, which I'm sure they'll be able to do.

Credit to NemesisRider
NemesisRider

I designed a concept that would be possible for Chessington if they had the space. I know the LTDP doesn't outline a woodie but I think one would fit well. :) I'm just going to link to my thread for this as it has pictures and a video link. This is my Chessington Ride Concept, The Voyager.
lewis97
Admin
Admin

Go Ape have updated their website to say that Chessington's Tree Top Junior course will open Saturday 28th May and the main Tree Top Adventure course will open some time in July.
Morgan

After being down for the best part of a month, Black Buccaneer has finally reopened.
118hazaman

I didn't take a picture but they replaced the fencing around the tree with fencing that fits the area, ie a themed wooden fence. It looks a lot better now.
Justin

Dan wrote:It appears that Merlins obsession with unnecessary fencing has reached Chessington with the following image that has been posted on TPR today:

Not only is this fence completely unnecessary, they haven't even bothered to try and theme it to Wild Asia. It just sticks out like a sore thumb.

From what I've read about Chessington over the past few weeks I'm definitely not in a hurry to rush back any time soon.
Good news!

Chessington Buzz have posted this photo showing that the fence has been replaced!
Definitely an improvement!

ThemeCrafter264

Now that is a nice fence, especially with the seats. Seriously
Burniel

It's a good fence, but still far worse than no fence at all ...
Burniel | Great at theme park knowledge, not so great at designing signatures.
Morgan

Just behind Vampire is a little walkway. Towards the end of it lies a large gate for behind the scenes areas, and when looking through it yesterday, I discovered a very unusual item:
A giant Gorilla head. I have a feeling it's going in Trail of the Kings?
Morgan

Scratch that, it's actually from an old photo shoot apparently :P
Owen

More disappointment at Chessington as Peeking Heights has had its theming removed. This is believed to be due to age and damage to the theming.

Photo credit to UK Theme Parks.
Burniel

Oh dear! This must be recent, as I don't remember it like that last Friday (although maybe I wasn't observant).

Just because theming's in a bad state, that doesn't mean you should just tear it down as if it were never there! I hope we see scenery added to the ride soon, but maybe that "soon" will be the same "soon" as when Dragon Falls lost its theming ...
Burniel | Great at theme park knowledge, not so great at designing signatures.