Chessington World of Adventures Resort

Engage with like-minded members and discuss the world of theme parks and attractions here.
bensaund

Both Sky and BBC are reporting the ride will re-open tomorrow, now unless HUSS have just dropped off a new set of restraints and they have fixed whatever caused the ride to malfunction and they manage to do a full test, I doubt we will see this ride back in operation any time in the next month.

-Merlin will want a full investigation
-I'm sure Huss will also want to know why guests had to be cut out of one of their rides and the fact that other Top Spin owners around the world will be wondering if it could happen to their ride.
-Their public liability insurers will want an input as this could result in insurance claims and possible other claims
-The HSE will want a full investigation
-LFB will also want to investigate as to why the park had to call them in and I am sure Chessington will get the bill for their time and services too.
If you go down to the woods today
DeanGaryCox

abigsmurf wrote: This ride seems to break down all the time, often with riders stuck (usually not for long though).

It doesn't take up a massive amount of space but surely they must be considering a replacement given its age, reliability and being a bit out of place at a family park.

Big question is what you'd put in place.
But the ride is actually surprisingly popular, chessington need at least one ride to keep young thrill seekers, or older people like teenagers and adults that go there, as i'm 19 and still enjoy going there, it's the only ride that goes upside down there... I would struggle to think what else would fit or be appropriate there.
Wedjie wrote: Just send them ripsaw...

and give AT Talocan ;)
I'm not sure whether you're being serious or not, as good as that sounds, but ripsaw isn't exactly in good condition  either, that won't be around for much longer so pointless moving it...

I would personally like to see rameses revenge be replaced by one of these... and if alton can't think of anything else to replace ripsaw, then add another one as well (bulk discount) ;)
Image 2014
altontowerskid

There's very little chance Rammy will be back open soon - could possibly be a long-term closure for investigations and maybe ride refurbishment.

OR alternatively Merlin, close the ride and bring in a short-term plan to replace the ride! :) Opening 2014?
DeanGaryCox

altontowerskid wrote: There's very little chance Rammy will be back open soon - could possibly be a long-term closure for investigations and maybe ride refurbishment.

OR alternatively Merlin, close the ride and bring in a short-term plan to replace the ride! :) Opening 2014?
With the amount of money chessington get to spend, say goodbye to Runaway Train refurb, and Dragon Falls retheme for next year...
Image 2014
Rob
Admin
Admin

DeanGaryCox wrote:
altontowerskid wrote: There's very little chance Rammy will be back open soon - could possibly be a long-term closure for investigations and maybe ride refurbishment.

With the amount of money chessington get to spend, say goodbye to Runaway Train refurb, and Dragon Falls retheme for next year...
What are you talking about? Chessington are currently undergoing a £5 million pound ride referbishment  plan. Runaway mine train is likely to be closed all season & Dragon falls will have it's theming replaced during the winter shut down.
Aidan Lowe

This just makes me laugh:

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/40-people-stuc ... =1#DCo5zqx

When they interview some of the girls that were on the ride, it just makes me want to bang my head. I hate the youth of today, "I was like Oh My God!"
Formerly known under username Andy Mc
altontowerskid

Mabalzich wrote: When they interview some of the girls that were on the ride, it just makes me want to bang my head. I hate the youth of today, "I was like Oh My God!"
Let them have their 5mins of fame! :)

IMO it is clear that ride maintenance, although in line with all laws and regulations by ride manufactures, is clearly below par. At the end of the day, I know Merlin must make growing profits year on year, but ride maintenance is essential for continued success - something that if they neglect, serious problems could occur.
mattallennet

Wedjie wrote: It is a bit worrying, normally there is a manual release to get the ride down and release the guests - obviously a more serious problem if they had to be cut out.
The info is very sketchy - and some of it is plain wrong/ Merlin are not being upfront as usual.

According to some sources the ride came to a controlled stop and was expected to re-open today. Well that's not true.

It seems like failsafes DID bring the ride to a safe stop - but the electrics failed preventing a release. Don't these have a completely manual emergency release mechanism though? Or was this not an option either because nobody could get to them?

The Fire and Rescue service do an amazing job - but they really love using their toys!
DeanGaryCox

Rob-TT wrote:
DeanGaryCox wrote:

What are you talking about? Chessington are currently undergoing a £5 million pound ride referbishment  plan. Runaway mine train is likely to be closed all season & Dragon falls will have it's theming replaced during the winter shut down.
In the sense they may have to replace Rameses Revenge... where is that money going to come from, considering the £5million refurbishment is already planned out; and surprised to see they're actually getting some well needed investment.
Image 2014
TheOutpatient

Oh my goodness, they actually used the jaws of life on it and cut through it!! - painful to watch :cry:

I hope it doesn't go, that whole area is very well themed but I think rides are like cars - if it gets too expensive to fix they just ditch it and get something newer.
Please visit my blog of original dark ride ideas: http://mattsdesignsblog.wordpress.com/
weeksy

Ouch! Is there footage of it now? Such a shame if this is it for Rameses Revenge.
TheOutpatient

weeksy wrote: Ouch! Is there footage of it now? Such a shame if this is it for Rameses Revenge.
Mabalzich wrote: This just makes me laugh:

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/40-people-stuc ... =1#DCo5zqx

When they interview some of the girls that were on the ride, it just makes me want to bang my head. I hate the youth of today, "I was like Oh My God!"
That one  8)
Please visit my blog of original dark ride ideas: http://mattsdesignsblog.wordpress.com/
wrightiee

How much more bad luck and bad press is chessington due, such a shame. Currently the best ride there for older adventurers.

Pray for rammy
Chris
Admin
Admin

It is a shame this has happened but Rameses has looked and feels in a state of disrepair for a few years now.

Here's their opportunity to replace it with a floorless Topspin..

#yeahright!
Last edited by Chris on Sat Jun 22, 2013 7:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TheOutpatient

when I last went the duration did seem to vary
I wondered if maybe it was 1 short program/cycle that was used twice or once at the ride ops disposal.

(sidenote)1 thing I do know for sure is that depending on the weight, the way it spins is different every time - I asked a ride op about that.
bensaund

DeanGaryCox wrote:
In the sense they may have to replace Rameses Revenge... where is that money going to come from, considering the £5million refurbishment is already planned out; and surprised to see they're actually getting some well needed investment.
Where is the money coming from... remind me how many billions Merlin made last year.... a Top Spin is small cash to them, it's like you splashing out a fiver on Fish n Chips
If you go down to the woods today
altontowerskid

bensaund wrote: Where is the money coming from... remind me how many billions Merlin made last year.... a Top Spin is small cash to them, it's like you splashing out a fiver on Fish n Chips
Merlin made an operating profit of £258m, not billions. Although that is a large sum of money, without well thought-out spending, that could easily become a loss figure within a company as large as Merlin.

I do agree that a replacement is needed, but people need to look at it sensibly; from the looks of gate figures and budgets, Chessington isn't doing great, they don't have money to "splash out" like I would on Fish & Chips :lol:
DeanGaryCox

The thing is 'a Top Spin is small cash to them' Chessington rarely get's any investment as it is besides the new ride and the £5million upgrade which came out of nowhere, so personally i can't see them replacing it any time soon, or at least not this year, and next year... but unexpected things like this do ruin & force plans to change.
Image 2014
Pennywise

As you may or not already know, Chessington is having a £5 million upgrade over the next two years (seemingly in place of any new rides or attractions). So far, the Runaway Train has been closed all season, stripped bare of all of it's theming (the rockwork was reportedly condemned with regards to health and safety standards) and is now seemingly in the process of being re-painted... in a really rather garish orange.

Source of image: Chessington Buzz

With this new colour scheme, you can't help but feel that the theming will be less significant compared with the previous version, and not whatsoever represent an upgrade. Dragon Falls has also been stripped of most of its theming, with the park promising to replace it over the close season.

Opinions on this upgrade plan from Chessington? Personally I find it all very underwhelming and disappointing.
Last edited by Pennywise on Sat Jun 22, 2013 2:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Alex.D

Knowing merlin. The theming probably won't return unless they are actually going to try like they did with the swarm. As RT won't be fun unless the rock work ect is there. Just another flying fish if they don't replace it. :(
THE SWARM, oblivion,air,colossus.all epic.:D
^Made by Lewis97