Chessington World of Adventures Resort

Engage with like-minded members and discuss the world of theme parks and attractions here.
Marcus

Here some Chessington 2013 updates: http://forum.towerstimes.co.uk/merlin-a ... n-updates/
Marcus

Marcus

CoasterCrazyChris wrote: What I don't get is why that hotel is still being branded as a Holiday Inn even though Chessington have taken over the management of it?
Many other companies own Holiday Inn's around the world. Well I say own I mean they manage/run certain hotels.
rollerghoster

so did anyone get any more pictures during half term? very curious as to how the renovations/building of zufari are going....seeing as the park opens soon, i'd hope they're pretty close to finishing up on the work.
AdamP

Zufari is testing (if that's what you can call it!) and really starting to come together. With the big focus on The Smiler Chessington really need to start promoting this better, especially as it opens in two weeks. Update http://themeuk.net/blog/?p=3442
ShoesU

Has any ever had 65% off their stay at Holiday Inn using the MAP Discount Code because after emailing them asking for some prices for 1 and 2 nights they got back to me with more expensive prices than you get when you book normally using their website.  I know to get these rates it usually means you have to pay full room rate and then get the discount off that but i was quoted £127 for one night so after rough maths would say a standard rate before (at least) 65% (max discount) is about £350 for 1 night b&b?

Another date i requested that was £69 as the "best flexible rate" on their website would cost £100 using a discount code... seems to me like the annual pass code is rubbish as it claims you can get up to 65% off - there must be very few dates where this is true.
Wildboy

Does anyone remember when you could go on Ramesis revenge and the ride op would manually control the ride? You could actually ask the ride op to make you wet with the fountains and they would do their best to soak you. Or ask for some other thing like to be held upside down at the top etc. I wonder if they still do this or if its set on a standard program nowadays?
Last edited by Wildboy on Sun Jun 16, 2013 11:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Enjoying Rollercoasters as part of a healthy balanced diet since 1983
Boz

I don't know what used to happen in the past, but these days it is a fixed program, and has been for a number of years.
It is a fixed alternating program, riders board and are put through a very tame cycle. After which everyone is asked if they would like to stay on for a more intense cycle, or leave, those that do want to leave are let off, then hose that remain are put through the second cycle.

I don't know any definites, but I think this is done for two reasons:
[1] - Because the ride was never designed to be used with water, and as such, it now has a drastically reduced lifespan. I believe standardizing the program has been done to make the most of it's remaining life span.
[2] - An added bonus to point 1, is that the first program will appeal to Chessies target audience of young adventurers, who have only just reached 1.4m, and might think they can cope with the first cycle, but maybe not the second. Plus with a lack of extreme thrills in the park, it's a bonus double ride for older adventurers without queuing.
Wildboy

Oh well that makes sense. Im talking around 17 years ago that they used to do this. Ramesis used to be almost a show in itself that people would cram around to watch at the top of the pit. I remember coughing up water on one ride.
Enjoying Rollercoasters as part of a healthy balanced diet since 1983
Boz

lol, I remember my first ride on it was in 97, but I remember very little about the program back then. I didn't visit chessie after that until 2005/6ish
TomL

The last time I rode this it was on of the hottest days in summer and it was a programmed cycle with the operator asking i we wanted more etc and then the whole park had a powers cut (does anyone remeber, august 2009 and people were trapped on the monorail above the lions...) we remained at about 40 degrees for about 5-10 mins and then they managed to release it and get us off! so I never actually experienced the full ride cycle. I did get complientary towers tickets and fastracks though!
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1207180/Chessington-power-cut-leaves-children-hanging-lion-enclosure-hours-theme-park.html
Last edited by TomL on Thu Mar 07, 2013 12:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
Pennywise

Chessington have launched a (rather half-arsed) app to advertise Zufari. Basically it's a memory test featuring animals, but there's also quite in-depth facts about the species featured during the ride. It's definitely out now on Android, under the name 'Zufari'. No idea whether it's available yet elsewhere.

:)
Tom G

It's OK at best. The final level is pretty testing because of the differences between the three horned things being so slight.
bensaund

When it had "Win" I was expecting a wheel of win, but its basically a photo competition, but you got to get to level 3 and read up several animals to unlock the link, this a poor IMO, they should have had something like the wheel of win and given away fast tracks, hotel stays even drinks quenchers
If you go down to the woods today
markfranklin

I was at Chessington last Saturday and the new paintwork around Vampire looks very good.

The new "Vampire Bites" was open.  I didn't eat in there but did notice that a lot of the "ghoulish" details had been removed and the nice vampire bat style chairs have gone and been replaced with standard ones.
jmgpannal

Just a note to say that I've just had an email stating the Passholder weekend has been cancelled. Due to delays in infrastructure projects caused by bad weather which mean that they won't be in a position to open.

They also state that Zufari won't be opening until the 27th although the park is still scheduled to open 20th.

Compensation is a free fasttrack ticket valid for one ride.

That's knackered my weekend.
jamie.rivettcarnac

jmgpannal wrote: Just a note to say that I've just had an email stating the Passholder weekend has been cancelled. Due to delays in infrastructure projects caused by bad weather which mean that they won't be in a position to open.

They also state that Zufari won't be opening until the 27th although the park is still scheduled to open 20th.

go to thorpe park insted its not far from chesington :-)
jmgpannal

jamie.rivettcarnac wrote:
jmgpannal wrote: Just a note to say that I've just had an email stating the Passholder weekend has been cancelled. Due to delays in infrastructure projects caused by bad weather which mean that they won't be in a position to open.

go to thorpe park insted its not far from chesington :-)
Not with a 5 year old!
Pennywise

Spoiler alert!

Source - Chessington Buzz - www.chessingtonbuzz.co.uk

Some aspects of the new ride look very nice (the entrance, some of the landscaping), although that cattle-pen is horrific... I'm going to reserve judgement until I experience it in person, but it looks promising! :)
Last edited by Pennywise on Fri Mar 15, 2013 8:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rocket

Zufari POV, please not the ride does not open for 2 weeks so this was from a "preview event" and is not the finished product!