West Midlands Safari Park

Engage with like-minded members and discuss the world of theme parks and attractions here.
Williscroft

Well ive just got back from a great day at the safari and was expecting to ride the new drop tower ride but when i got to the park I could see nothing new from last year. Then as i got closer i could see, the ride is now on park and resting on the grass waiting for the base to be finished off before it can be lifted into place.

It looks like one of the travelling fun fair drop towers and is colour red and green with black seats.

It is built by the same manufacture as Pandemonium at Drayton Manor (Fabbri)

Ive checked their site and this is the one it most looks like.

http://www.fabbrigroup.com/products/pro ... &gstart=33

I asked one of the ride operators when it was due to open and he just laughed at me and said “July 2nd” so basically they are very far behind as the rides queue line and platform aren’t even finished yet. Seems like its going to be a great addition though when it opens later this year.

:D
Adz
Admin
Admin

Same ride type as Detonator!

Fantastic rides may i add.
iriderides101

ooh intense drop tower i love detonator!
HAJiME

It won't be the same as Det, surly? It make look the same but doesn't et have extra push?
Adz
Admin
Admin

All fabbri drop towers have that extra push.
Thomas

I was at WMSP about 3months ago and the area around it had been cleared and some work had already started were it was going, something like decking for the base around it.

Thomas
Williscroft

Yer well they haven’t really got far pas what you have seen already then other than the ride resting on the floor waiting for its base to be finished. The builders seemed in no rush what so ever even though the ride it well over a month late opening, they were just talking and laughing and not doing what they were meant to.
AstroDan

Surely it won't be as impressive as Detonator? I mean, this is WMSP where most of the rides have seen better days! :?

Surely it'll be more like:

http://www.fabbrigroup.com/products/tem ... =&client=1
Thomas

Even if it does look like that, i think it looks pretty good, i think the small selection of rides they have are pretty good, i especially like the twister, i would even go as far as saying(if you get the weight right in the car)it is better then spinball and the log flume u actually get wet on it with out some shower having too.

Thomas
altontowerskid

Do they still have that creepy horror ride. Dr Something's something lol. I rode that when i was about 5 and a cra**ed myself. It was so scary.

I remember the Twister ride, and the Roller Skater that i belive is now the Rhino Coaster. I went ages ago.
Thomas

Yer they do, i went on with my cousin age 9 and these two other kids aged about 9/10 and it was so boring so i shouted bang dead load and they nearly craped there selves was so funny :lol: and the rhino coaster is pretty good ride for kids

Thomas
AstroDan

Dr Umboto's Catacombs is truly awful. The scene of someone being sick with water is dire, and the rest of the ride is, quite frankly, appalling.

The Tea Cup style ride is poor, the Octopus slow, and the Swings are very archaic.

However there are up sides. Black Fly is well themed indeed, the Rapids are, bizarre, and the Rhino has its moments. The Twister isn't exactly Spinball but it isn't the worst rollercoaster in the world.

:D
Thomas

Twister and spinball both spinning coasters and twister definitely spins more, so it does what its meant to do better, but i still love spinball, i would say both of them are on par as each other

Thomas
Williscroft

And finally the ride has opened a few months later than planned and it’s the first of its kind in the UK. It’s a 32 meter high tower and drops from o to 60kph in less than a second. Seems like a great instalment for the park again.

http://www.wmsp.co.uk/cgi-bin/WebObject ... 5.11.0.7.0

:)
AstroDan

I am curious as to whether anyone has been on this? It's pretty new and has a similar height to Detonator at Thorpe Park, yet with it being new it may actually work properly all of the time.

I am just interested to know if it's any good, really?

Wouldn't mind a trip down there sometime perhaps.
HighExtreme

Venom still has that sudden breath-taking sensation as you plunge from the top, like you get with the normal sized mega drops like Detonator

but is a perfect solution for parks like West Midlands Safari Park who don't need the capacity or perhaps have the budget for a full size model

The Amusement Park at WMSP isn't anything extraordinary but has a nice collection of rides which make a great alternative to DMP
Anonymous

Hurakan Condor in Portaventura is class!
El_Barto

Not been on it, love those rides though. Big Shot on top of stratosphere tower... now THAT is scary :)
BlackHole2006

I've been on it and it is faster and more forcefull then detonator. The seatbelts left a little gap between your chest so the airtime is awesome. I rode it 7 times that day, also you must go on the end because it feels like the tower feel's like it is rocking. Great theming too!
This is my dignature. For now.........
Coke

New for 2009! A new water adventure! Splash out on our new Shark Island interactive water ride for children under 1.5m!* Parents can join in by soaking their children with water guns, but kids can fight back with their own guns and water fountains! Plus for our older guests, a new water battle arena!** Plus a new cheetah reserve and conference facilities! Also a new family fun village with rides and attractions!***
*Opens April. **Additional £2.99 charge applies for 160 water bombs. ***Opens Late 2009

To me this sounds great for families and kids, but the water battle arena sounds just like those water bomb things at Alton Towers & THORPE PARK. I wonder what the family fun village includes?
Last edited by Coke on Tue Sep 22, 2009 8:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Are you thirsty?