West Midlands Safari Park

Engage with like-minded members and discuss the world of theme parks and attractions here.
Bote

It's been years since I last went to WMSP. Oddly enough I was thinking of going some time this year. I used to visit every year and camp not far from it :D

The safari park aspect was wonderful as a child. I absolutly adored the place. Again, the themepark may seem rather meh to us, but as an average guest it made for a nice day out. Do the drive through safari, then have lunch, then do the fair afterwards.

With a few new solid rides the fair could become so much more. With the right investment I think it could become a mini Chessington over a few years.

The concept looks quite nice. It's good to see them sticking with the idea that they are a safari park, so their hotel  should follow suit. I should imagine that the hotel will be as much for the local attractions as it is for WMSP. As Cheese said there is quite a bit to do without going too far from it. It could be a nice place for a weekend break. One day at WMSP, stop over there, then explorer the next day.

I look forward to seeing how this develops though. It can't be a cheap project for them, so might that be why there's been little investment in the fair lately? Hopefully this will give them a  bit of a kick to add more stuff :)
seanyboyuk

Why did the park get rid of the boomerang coaster? Was a bad choice i think.
Satch

Sazzle wrote:
The hotel industry is incredibly lucrative, perhaps they see it as the easiest way to make money after the initial investment?
Not really, very very few hotel chains are currently making profits.
Don't_Look_Down

seanyboyuk wrote: Why did the park get rid of the boomerang coaster? Was a bad choice i think.
Apparently it suffered from "operational problems".
Oblivion beckons in T-minus five minutes, be prepared for embarkation!

Eat, sleep, Apocalypse!
thefatone

Satch wrote:
Sazzle wrote:
The hotel industry is incredibly lucrative, perhaps they see it as the easiest way to make money after the initial investment?
Not really, very very few hotel chains are currently making profits.
Mainly due to the way majority are funded from the haydays. Most are on leased sites with absolutely ridiculous rents, and majority of the holding companies are just overleveraged with debt.

If funded properly, this could be a winner for WMSP!
ThrillJunkie

Hi,

Does anyone know what's going on with the WMSP Hotel and Water Park? The park got planning permission approved back in September 2015 and publicly announced that the Water Park would open in 2017 and the hotel in 2020 yet I've not seen or heard anything regarding this project for a few years?

Is this still going ahead?
Thanks
ThrillJunkieUK