SEA LIFE Birmingham

Engage with like-minded members and discuss the world of theme parks and attractions here.
FallenAbyss

NEW for Easter 2009: Sensorama 4-D Cinema!
New for Easter 2009 is our amazing Sensorama 4-D Cinema launching with Planet Earth: Shallow Seas 4-D Experience.  You will be plunged into the thick of the action as sea lions, dolphins and other sea creatures leap from the screen; as you feel the wind and salt spray on your face and even smell the seaweed. It's a sensoramic sensation!  
On Sunday we popped down to have a nose, Its actually pretty impressive the cinema seats quite a few and the film is quite long which really surprised me ... I figured it would be really short for maximum throughput.

Theres a few nice surprises during the show and a few effects i'd not seen used before in a 4D cinema (including bubble machines) and speaking to a member of management afterwards he mentioned they'll be showing a Spongebob Squarepants film later in the year along with Polar Express (which they're installing a snow machine for) ... a nice touch I thought ...

Anyway I grabbed a few pictures of the inside ... (sorry for the quality as it was an unplanned trip so only had my mobile with me :) )

Projector type thing :D

3D Glasses ... what another excuse to look sill I hear you cry ?

Oh go on then ...

zs chris

Going to Warwick Castle next month and wondered if the Birmingham Sea Life Centre is worth a visit at the same time?

We have one in Great Yarmouth but its only small so I was wondering how much better it is as the website doesnt really give much help considering its supposed to be the 'National' one...
Joel

It's good as yeah its supposedly the "National" one, however expect it to be busy at weekends which makes it difficult to really enjoy and appreciate all of the exhibits.

I visited last weekend with Craig and we pretty much walked through it in about 20-30 mins because it was a bit too busy and warm in there.

There is plenty to see though, and Spongebob in 4D cinema (which is an extra £1.50!) too.
Pennywise

You could easily spend an hour to 2 hours to there. Depending on how interested you are. :D
haydn!

It's a great little experience, I went in April. We didn't pay extra for the 4D cinema though!?!? Even still, I think it's really expensive for what it is. £18.00 for an adult pass.

My top tip would be to park at the Bullring! The walk isn't that far, and they have 2 for 1 vouchers on the back of their parking tickets :P
Craig

Personally I'd say the London one is now more deserved of the National tag after the revamp its had recently. As Joel said, it was way too crowded in there, although its something I've seen in most Sealife Centres I've visited. For their flagship attraction, it could have been designed with larger walkways etc though. It only took a family taking pictures or a pushchair to block the flow of people around the attraction.
Leigh

Today I had been to the Blackpool one, and must say it has been great! :D We were there for 2-3 hours and played indoor crazy golf at the end (£15 on top of admission, not free with Merlin AP I'm afraid). I can't comment on the Birmingham one as I haven't been, but if you do plan on going I hope you have as great day as I had!
FallenAbyss

Sorry if there's another topic for this, but couldn't find it this morning ...

I've been a number of times this year to Birmingham's Sealife centre and experienced their 4D Cinema on a number of occasions the first time we experienced it we had a really long showing of the film and experienced all of the features, the second visit was a somewhat watered down version of the original film although still fairly enjoyable. We quizzed one of the staff who said at busy times they were operating a shorter version of the film which is fair enough.

On visiting yesterday we noticed that people were now being charged to go in (I think it's £1.50 although Merlin Pass holders get in free) and think this was introduced when they started showing spongebob through the holidays. I don't think I have a problem with them charging to get in as it stops people running back round and going in again numerous times and making the queue longer. However the version of the film we watched yesterday was very very quick not even half as long as either of the ones we had watched previously. Some of the effects were out of places and inexplaned which had we payed for we'd have felt quite disapointed having seen the much longer and superior versions and even if we hadn't seen them I think we'd have thought it was quite poor value for money !

So has anyone else experienced this, it doesn't bother me that much as we don't have to pay having the MAP but I think it's a shame to show such a heavily watered down version of the attraction.
zs chris

I went a couple of weeks ago, it was a very short exert of the whales episode of blue planet, couldnt of lasted more than 5 minutes..

We didnt pay extra for it but we were given a ticket so you could only go once.

The effects did seem 'tacked on' and didnt really match with the film and I didnt notice any smells like it stated on the website

I imagine the spongebob film would have been better, considering the place attracts a lot of children I thought it was a bad choice. I wouldnt pay for the blue planet film again, not very impressive

Have to say I was more impressed with that area of Birmingham rather than the Sea Life Centre, hadn't been before and the whole fountain area and all the restaurants are really nice.. was quite shocked :D
FallenAbyss

I could be wrong about the charging to get in ... just got asked for a ticket and saw signs saying to "upgrade" your ticket which normally means merlin want money ! lol

The full length version of the film probably lasts something like 10 minutes, the effects are well suited and although I've not smelt anything it works really well which is why I was so disapointed in it yesterday.

I Know what you mean about Grindley Place though, it's gorgeous, we sat on a balcony outside of a pub facing the sealife and people watched for a bit ... that was pretty cool but the whole area is a real hidden gem considering it's only just behind Broad Street ...
Pennywise

Sealife Birmnigham are now advertising their new addition for 2013.

Though to be honest it's taking up an absolutely tiny area and it seems quite pathetic advertising this as a 'new' addition, considering that there are already jellyfish at the aquarium. Hopefully it'll be good though! Meanwhile the 4D cinema will be showing the same film (Turtlevision) for yet another year.  :roll:
Boz

Needed a new topic TBH ;)
And I agree, jellyfish does seem like a bit of fuss over nothing.
Kenzie2012

*Cough* Spider Crabs *Cough*
"Life is a waste of time, and time is a waste of life. Get wasted all the time, and you'll have the time of your life!”
Adz
Admin
Admin

It's part of the SEALIFE Black Box concept.

Every SEALIFE in the country has a room of the exact same size with the exact same plumbing and electrical fixtures. Every year the centres will rotate different themed tanks and associated animals around in order to keep things 'fresh'.

The ones I know of off the top of my head are; Jellyfish Discovery, Claws and Octopus Garden.

http://aquariumtechnology.com/project/merlin-entertainments-black-box-displays/

This concept is also rolling out across the Madame Tussauds attractions and most likely The Dungeons at some point.
DavidRock

It's worth a visit to sealife centre in Birmingham......1) I work just up broad street so pass it every day and always passes an hour if I'm walking back into city centre....

Went just before the jelly fish thing opened....it was practically complete and was opening a few days later....they used to have a jellyfish area before the refurb