The Smiler - Marketing

Smile always. New for 2013.
Joshysqaushy

Th13TEENGUY wrote: If these are fake then shaun sandbrooke will have to hand over the biggest enthusiast award  :D
Glad im not the only one who thought it sounded like him  :lol:
DONCASTER ADVENTURE PARKS NEW COASTER
TRAILER:
UPDATES: http://forum.towerstimes.co.uk/viewtopi ... 8&start=40
Aidan Lowe

george2v wrote:one of the tweets on there is..."Severe headache, feel like ****!! Need some para but not got any in."
Maybe I'm over-thinking but I just don't think that Alton Towers would swear under any circumstances?
But not every tweet has to be in reference to AT, Smiler, Miles, this gives the "characters" some realism. Rather than it just looking like user created account, AT pays actor to post this relevant tweet at this time.

I'm guessing for the foreseeable future they will be encouraged to use these accounts to tweet / post about subjects with no relevance to the ride but to the actual person's daily happening outside of their media project. These people who aren't following construction or don't know viral marketing, it leaves that tiny bit of mystery and magic for them.

Danny posted 2 tweets about the music he's now playing one after another, love these little things:
Danny wrote:Smile like you mean it - The Killers #NowPlaying
Danny wrote:Always - Bon Jovi #nowplaying #classic #tune
Last edited by Aidan Lowe on Wed May 01, 2013 9:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Formerly known under username Andy Mc
N3m3s1s

After reading the comments, somebody pointed out that the guy is most probably a guy called "Adam Buxton". A British comedian. Surely enthusiasts couldn't get him to help (or afford him!)?
Bubbaride

I have to agree this is very clever marketing, but I don't see why they put so much effort into it when its only going to be enthusiasts watching/ following it.
Surely there time would be better spent targeting the general public?

Still great marketing though!
Aidan Lowe

Bubbaride wrote:I don't see why they put so much effort into it when its only going to be enthusiasts watching/ following it.
There is probably a good 17 (if you expect it to open 18th) or 24 (25th) days for social media sites to share, post and tweet the heck out of this. Sometime's it pays off sometimes it doesn't. The video has already passed 1200 views I think in its first day.

This only adds to the hype /  build up of this ride, I'd prefer a thought out marketing campaign than just a newspaper clipping and short tv ad alone. Even if it does mean only a small % see it, its us coaster enthusiasts that appreciate this more than the "general public".

Let's hope we see more in the coming days.

[Edit 23:41] Now this is fan-made: Subject 185 -  Ministry of Joy
Last edited by Aidan Lowe on Wed May 01, 2013 11:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Andzdrew

Come on, we're all hooked now... It's about time another vid was uploaded before people get annoyed with waiting.. I'm getting bored waiting, tenterhooks I don't do... Give me another vid or at lease explain the bloody barcode!
Last edited by Andzdrew on Thu May 02, 2013 8:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
The Psychoaster

N3m3s1s wrote: After reading the comments, somebody pointed out that the guy is most probably a guy called "Adam Buxton". A British comedian. Surely enthusiasts couldn't get him to help (or afford him!)?
Pretty sure it's not him. Although he does look like him, his accent is nothing like Adam Buxton's and it doesn't sound to me like the actor in the video is putting on an accent.
Rollercoasters4Life

andzdrew wrote: Come on, we're all hooked now... It's about time another vid was uploaded before people get annoyed with waiting.. I'm getting bored waiting, tenterhooks I don't do... Give me another vid or at lease explain the bloody barcode!
I am sure there will be another video in the next few days if this is legit. Can you lay off it a bit with the barcode meaning? Like others have said it could be the code to the book or it could be completely nothing and random. We will find out if it has a meaning in due course. Meanwhile just chill and don't forget...

Smile. Always. :D
Last edited by Rollercoasters4Life on Thu May 02, 2013 8:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
Andzdrew

It's not random for sure, it's huge you can't miss it in the bedroom, all over the walls and ceiling, and out of this entire theme there's been no barcodes...  I've tried in the mirror, upside down etc... Nothing so far
Brazilian13Guy

Just checked another users that interacts with the Danny's account on Twitter, the result is:

- A retweet from @malbuff93 (Mallory Jane), with a photo of her smile and in the legend: "Smile. Always."
I'm confused because her account isn't too recent, she has 1,437 tweets!

However, look at another tweet, posted April, 25: "@malbuff93: Momma's almost here and then off to the hypnotist show (:"

I can't understand what is the relation of that girl with Danny or any story about The Smiler, MOJ. I'm just thinking this is a curious information! Trisha has retweeted the Mallory's tweet too!

- Both accounts retweeted this: "@lifebook: There's always that one person that can make you smile, even when you're at your lowest."

- Trisha's tweets:
"Reckon I can claim expenses from uni for a new outfit for Sunday? Gonna be a TV star :) Haha!"
"Past midnight... Why can't I sleep? I'm not smiling now.. I wish today hadn't happened!!"
/\ Last tweet scared me, looks like "can't I sleep if i'm smiling?"

And some retweets:
"@Women_Fit 26 Apr
Never make excuses. Always wake up with a smile knowing that today you are going to have fun accomplishing what others are too afraid to do."
"@_hailsz 26 Apr
"dont cry because its over, smile because it happened""

Finally, retweet by Danny:
"‏@jnglwzrd 25 Apr
i hope you all smile a lot today (and if you could just email this tweet to everyone you know who isnt on twitter)"

It's very intriguing!!!
Aidan Lowe

In regards to the above [<- now on previous page], I did briefly flick through the user accounts who originally followed these accounts of theirs and come across a good 8 or so accounts who also starting posting on April 25th.

The ones with more tweets back-tracking past April 25th could be associates, friends @ manchester uni in which they interact with, alternatively its also easy enough to do a search for keywords from other Twitter users.

Does seem we should get some more updates soon as Danny posted this tweet shortly after their morning in Buxton with "Miles".
Danny wrote:We've watched a very weird tape, I want to see more but Trish may need some convincing!
Don't forget these "tapes" are VHS, has anyone tried to get VHS tape footage onto a PC recently, it's bloody annoying, so the delay by AT is about right. Although I reckon we should see some more tweeting today or tomorrow (I hope), they shouldn't have become stagnant like they have though.

Our next video should be something to do with those tapes and then a re-visit to Miles.
Danny wrote:Let me know when your ready for another tape I'm intrigued to discover more about Miles! Only when your ready though :-) x
[Edit 06:25] The video is sitting at a nice 2800 views now, word of mouth is doing it's thing.
Last edited by Aidan Lowe on Thu May 02, 2013 6:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
george2v

I've just picked up on something!
One of Trisha's tweets ...
"Early alarm for tomorrow, long day planned!"
Accompanying this was an image of the alarm clock saying 5:14.
Anybody else thinking this could refer to the date of the opening of The Smiler? They wouldn't make it 5:14 for no reason, it's too random. Could The Smiler be opening on 14th May?
lewis97
Admin
Admin

It's something which has come up before, as it was also in the image of the half completed Staff. Knot that AT sent out. However, most people seem to believe it represents the 5 marmalising elements, and 14 inversions, which are what make this ride both a world first and world beating!

I think the 14th of May, is a little optimistic...
bbooth2

Cant believe people think this is authentic, come on guys Alton towers would pull out much better than that, "oooh look at these videos" "stick um in your bag!?" :/ deffinatly not official, it screams fan made.

EDIT: it seems like someone has done this as part of a college piece or something similar, I was thinking about making a video for it myself and to be honest it wouldn't of been much different to that
Last edited by bbooth2 on Thu May 02, 2013 8:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
Morgano

bbooth2 wrote: Cant believe people think this is authentic, come on guys Alton towers would pull out much better than that, "oooh look at these videos" "stick um in your bag!?" :/ deffinatly not official, it screams fan made.

EDIT: it seems like someone has done this as part of a college piece or something similar, I was thinking about making a video for it myself and to be honest it wouldn't of been much different to that
The original video of the girl sitting and smiling in a chamber was made by a marketing company, they admitted it was a bit of fun inspired by the sanctuary. The girl in the new video is the same girl, therefore IT IS the same marketing company.

It's obvious they goofed by making the original girl video on Youtube public where it was probably supposed to be for internal viewing.

Lets put the facts together, they released a video with the "fake smile" girl long before Alton Towers released there JLS marketing promo with the fake smile. They claimed it was a joke inspired by the Halloween Sanctuary (at a time when very little was known about the theme).

They have used props that are specific to the new theme (the image on the back of each cars is hanging in the corridor) clearly provided by Alton Towers.

ITS THE SAME GIRL!!!
THEY ARE A MARKETING COMPANY!!!

Come on...
MatthewR1990

bbooth2 wrote: Cant believe people think this is authentic, come on guys Alton towers would pull out much better than that, "oooh look at these videos" "stick um in your bag!?" :/ deffinatly not official, it screams fan made.

This screams official to be honest. There's a lot of effort gone into this. Lots of little details that a normal fan video wouldn't of noticed. It's a team that has created this. The twitter accounts, the video. Even the photo manipulation of the fake amazon picture.

I'd wager with you right now that this is official.
West Bromwich Albion until I die! I bleed blue and white.
bbooth2

if it is official, im not a fan :/ didn't think it was very effective, would of thought a hospital or a ward would of been used instead of someone's house.

EDIT: sorry im sounding realy negative, for an amateur video its very good, but for a professional, official video it doesn't seem to cut it for me :/

I think the other video of the girl sat on the chair is much better, acctualy has the alton towers spark, which is why I don't think this new video is official
Last edited by bbooth2 on Thu May 02, 2013 10:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
Kirsty25

It's that unfinished look that makes me think it's official, and a few too many coincidences already mentioned... Hmm.m
MatthewR1990

HERE WE GO, PROOF THEY ARE REAL
Alton towers official twitter account has linked the video...
@altontowers: We have been made aware of this video - watch it and let us know if you have any ideas or information to share  http://t.co/dnFCH8p0wt

11:17 2/5/13
Should of made that bet earlier...

EDIT: it turns out they've actually uploaded it to their official Youtube page!
Last edited by MatthewR1990 on Thu May 02, 2013 11:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
West Bromwich Albion until I die! I bleed blue and white.
Matt 125

Yeah I definitely think it's official. There's too much thought into it for it to be a project for an assignment. I mean, why would they create the Twitter accounts for a piece of work?!

Also, Alton Towers facebook just posted this:
We have been made aware of this video and have noticed quite a few people have asked about it – watch it and let us know if you have any thoughts or information to share…
Interesting!