The Smiler - Train Discussion

Smile always. New for 2013.

Do you like The Smiler Trains?

Yes
58%
No
15%
I'll wait until I see them in person before making a decision.
27%

Total votes: 434
clayj

I still think/hope its only on the back of the backrow of seats so will only really be viewed by people in the station rather then on the ride.
[align=center]Image

ɹǝןıɯs ǝɥʇ[/align]
altontowersfreakhead

The Color scheme for the cars are amazing!!!xxx
RollerCoasterTycoon2013

I think I've just thought of something likely to be shown on the Marmaliser: the rider's faces! I think that there is a camera on the backs of the seats and it films/takes a picture of the riders and shows each one on the screen!
Owen

RollerCoasterTycoon2013 wrote: I think I've just thought of something likely to be shown on the Marmaliser: the rider's faces! I think that there is a camera on the backs of the seats and it films/takes a picture of the riders and shows each one on the screen!
Not being rude but this has been discussed earlier
RollerCoasterTycoon2013

Sorry I forgot
danwhit709

I'm going pretty far out with this speculation but i was reading through the official update with the pictures of the cars on the Alton Towers website and it says "the first installment" and "gives you a taster"
Probably way off but could this mean there is more to arrive?..
Phild94

danwhit709 wrote: I'm going pretty far out with this speculation but i was reading through the official update with the pictures of the cars on the Alton Towers website and it says "the first installment" and "gives you a taster"
Probably way off but could this mean there is more to arrive?..
More cars are still to arrive yes, they will have a minimum of 4 cars probably 6 for this track, but I believe there is more to the trains than is shown on these pictures :)

Credit to Lewis97 for the fantastic signature :D
Jon

I'm wondering what the through-put is going to be like on The Smiler. Has this been discussed before?

If we have two lift-hills, am I right in thinking this allows the ride to send out cars more quickly than it would otherwise? As I understood it, cars have to reach a 'contact point' to send out a new car? For Nemesis and Air this is the break-run at the end of the ride, but for Spinball there are various breaks throughout the course which allows shuttles to be sent out rapidly as is required.

The main reason I ask is that, even for a new ride, The Smiler is going to be extremely popular. It will completely change the way guests flow around the park. Th13teen surprised even the developers with how fast it sent out its passengers and I wondered how The Smiler will compare.
Formerly "Dagoo"
Owen

RollerCoasterTycoon2013 wrote: Sorry I forgot
No worries mate people make mistakes!
SMiLE
arsenalfan-1

NINJAwarrior360 wrote:
Jon wrote: I'm wondering what the through-put is going to be like on The Smiler. Has this been discussed before?

If we have two lift-hills, am I right in thinking this allows the ride to send out cars more quickly than it would otherwise? As I understood it, cars have to reach a 'contact point' to send out a new car? For Nemesis and Air this is the break-run at the end of the ride, but for Spinball there are various breaks throughout the course which allows shuttles to be sent out rapidly as is required.

The main reason I ask is that, even for a new ride, The Smiler is going to be extremely popular. It will completely change the way guests flow around the park. Th13teen surprised even the developers with how fast it sent out its passengers and I wondered how The Smiler will compare.
it has been discussed before, but people believe there will not be a pull through, because, well how the hell do you get cranes ext. into that tangled mess!
They're talking about through-put - as in how many people ride over a certain amount of time - not pull-through which is completely different. :moj
Thanks Lewis97
Phild94

Jon wrote: I'm wondering what the through-put is going to be like on The Smiler. Has this been discussed before?

I think when calculated the throughput was out at approximately 1500pph :)

Credit to Lewis97 for the fantastic signature :D
youarecorrectsir

Phild94 wrote:

I think when calculated the throughput was out at approximately 1500pph :)
Say there are 4 trains on the circuit at any one time: (16 riders per train)* (4 trains) / (2.75 minutes per circuit) = roughly 1400 riders per hour...

Compare that with,
Oblivion: 1920 riders per hour
Nemesis: 1400 riders per hour
Th13teen: 1400 riders per hour

4 trains are likely to cope with high rider throughput demands. However considering the popularity and scale this roller coaster will have, I wouldn't be surprised to see 5+. I don't think there will be, but I wouldn't be surprised :)
[align=center]"Everybody dies, but not everybody lives"[/align]
mattallennet

Saw - The Ride was dispatching 16 people every 55 seconds today. That makes 1000 per hour. That's with a disembark behind the loading bay. I'm struggling to see how they'll get a high throughput with The Smiler. I hope I'm wrong.
Mattfat1

The most time spent in dispatching trains is getting the old passengers off and new ones on. The time taken though will depend on seats per row rather than seats per train because each row is loaded independently from the others by pre stacking in air gates..
So theoretically you could unload/load the 16 seater train in the same time as the 8 but obviously that's double capacity so quicker and then its just the extra few seconds for the ops to check the extra other rows..

I would think even if you had 20 rows of 4 seats it would load/unload the same as 2rows would.

I wouldn't think the disembarking behind on saw would add time saving just more of a logistical thing for entry and exit as you get on and off the train on the same side. Probably actually makes it slower as the train has to move in between load/unload.

The smiler looks to be getting on one side and off the other because they have the space to do so, so this will be much quicker than saw

My explanation makes sense to me anyway! I think  :?
JW599

mattallennet wrote: Saw - The Ride was dispatching 16 people every 55 seconds today. That makes 1000 per hour. That's with a disembark behind the loading bay. I'm struggling to see how they'll get a high throughput with The Smiler. I hope I'm wrong.
The very long brake run before the second lift hill could speed this up and possibly allow more than one train into this block of track.

As the first train approaches the second lift hill, the following train will be catching up very quickly, and could possibly enter the brake run while train 1 is approaching the top of the lift hill.
mattallennet

Generally speaking Eurofighters do seem to load and dispatch quickly probably because if the simplicity and reliability of the restraints so checking is very quick. Rage and Saw are a 'sit down and go' affair compared to Colossus TP, Rita (and Air but that's completely different). Nemesis only has minor issues because of a poor station / storage design. But I'm still scratching my head to work out where a 1600+ throughput would come from with 1 station. I am well aware that a well designed station / air gate queues really makes a difference. High throughput would still take some very well organised staff, and riders with plenty of common sense to jump straight in to the seats. Fingers crossed.
Last edited by mattallennet on Thu Apr 11, 2013 2:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ryan.

I think there will probably be a disembark area behind the loading bay as seen in this screenshot of the game (taken from an earlier post I made about the station layout). This allows for a conveyor belt systems of unloading, moving the train on, and loading to make throughput quicker, this way you can be unloading and loading passengers simultaneously, provided there are 2 trains in the station at all times.
Ryan. wrote: Image
Last edited by Ryan. on Thu Apr 11, 2013 2:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
simononestop

yeah I agree kind of like saw
george2v

Ryan. wrote: I think there will probably be a disembark area behind the loading bay as seen in this screenshot of the game (taken from an earlier post I made about the station layout). This allows for a conveyor belt systems of unloading, moving the train on, and loading to make throughput quicker, this way you can be unloading and loading passengers simultaneously, provided there are 2 trains in the station at all times.
I also agree.
Oh, how I do hope the stairs really do look like that. Very pretty.
Ar128

Ryan. wrote: I think there will probably be a disembark area behind the loading bay as seen in this screenshot of the game (taken from an earlier post I made about the station layout). This allows for a conveyor belt systems of unloading, moving the train on, and loading to make throughput quicker, this way you can be unloading and loading passengers simultaneously, provided there are 2 trains in the station at all times.
That's the same design oblivion sort of has, it's rarely used though.
Smile!!