The Smiler - Train Discussion

Smile always. New for 2013.

Do you like The Smiler Trains?

Yes
58%
No
15%
I'll wait until I see them in person before making a decision.
27%

Total votes: 434
NickiFan

:( no seatbelts? ohhh one of my fears:'( just noticed..
Rollercoasters4Life

Ar128 wrote:
Ryan. wrote: I think there will probably be a disembark area behind the loading bay as seen in this screenshot of the game (taken from an earlier post I made about the station layout). This allows for a conveyor belt systems of unloading, moving the train on, and loading to make throughput quicker, this way you can be unloading and loading passengers simultaneously, provided there are 2 trains in the station at all times.
Ryan. wrote: Image
That's the same design oblivion sort of has, it's rarely used though.
Oblivion uses on-load and off-load within two bays allowing them to allow riders to disembark from two trains then the two trains to be filled and both cars are sent out together - one goes up the lift hill, the other waits at the bottom then once the first car has cleared the side chain (at the top where it allows it to go around the corner) then the train at the bottom then proceeds up the lift hill.

EDIT:
infusionfan2 wrote: :( no seatbelts? ohhh one of my fears:'( just noticed..
Don't worry mate, restraints have two locking mechanisms - one for redundancy just in case one fails there is another in place that will keep the restraint locked. The chances of one failing is next to nothing, so chances of two failing is next to impossible. The seatbelt is usually for two things - one, an extra measure that is used to tell if someone is to big (so if they can't shut the belt then you are to big) and the second for guest psychology. The ride doesn't need to have a seat belt its just guest have become accustomed to them (like yourself) and see it as another level of protection.

Some research for you based on just getting hurt in a theme park (whether it be on a ride or walking around the park - taken from here):

Chances of serious injury - 1 in 25 million
Chances of fatal injury - 1 in 1.5 Billion

in retrospect:

Chances of having a fatal car crash - 15 in 10,000

It really is fine and you have nothing to worry about, don't forget...

Smile. Always. :moj
Last edited by Rollercoasters4Life on Thu Apr 11, 2013 4:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ilyAlton

Rollercoasters4Life wrote:
Ar128 wrote:
Ryan. wrote: I think there will probably be a disembark area behind the loading bay as seen in this screenshot of the game (taken from an earlier post I made about the station layout). This allows for a conveyor belt systems of unloading, moving the train on, and loading to make throughput quicker, this way you can be unloading and loading passengers simultaneously, provided there are 2 trains in the station at all times.
That's the same design oblivion sort of has, it's rarely used though.
Oblivion uses on-load and off-load within two bays allowing them to allow riders to disembark from two trains then the two trains to be filled and both cars are sent out together - one goes up the lift hill, the other waits at the bottom then once the first car has cleared the side chain (at the top where it allows it to go around the corner) then the train at the bottom then proceeds up the lift hill.

EDIT:
Don't worry mate, restraints have two locking mechanisms - one for redundancy just in case one fails there is another in place that will keep the restraint locked. The chances of one failing is next to nothing, so chances of two failing is next to impossible. The seatbelt is usually for two things - one, an extra measure that is used to tell if someone is to big (so if they can't shut the belt then you are to big) and the second for guest psychology. The ride doesn't need to have a seat belt its just guest have become accustomed to them (like yourself) and see it as another level of protection. It really is fine and you have nothing to worry about, don't forget...

Smile. Always. :moj
Here is a video of oblivion's restraint failing:

Not sure if its real but that is damn scary.
Rollercoasters4Life

ilyAlton wrote: Here is a video of oblivion's restraint failing:

Not sure if its real but that is damn scary.
The restraint isn't failing, it just the seatbelt coming out of the catch as it wasn't properly inserted or wasn't pushed in far enough. Hypothetically speaking, you can go round Oblivon without the seatbelt inserted although it is required for the rides running purposes. The actual restraint is what is keeping you in which as I say, has a double lock that is next to impossible for both to fail. Chances of one lock failing is next to none.

Don't forget most ride incidents are due to operation errors, rider errors and riders medical history such as underlying medical conditions. Rides are completely safe and you are more likely to have an accident on the way to the park than in the park.
TheSmiler1998

If you read the comments on the video one states that b and m said if the restraint had of failed the seatbelt would hae been ripped in half so she was in no danger at all
@LukeSavidge1998 I follow back so hit follow button! #getcorrect #excited
We know what we are, we know what we are! Erm.... Europa League winners we know what we are! Doesn't have the same ring to it does it?
ilyAlton

TheSmiler1998 wrote: If you read the comments on the video one states that b and m said if the restraint had of failed the seatbelt would hae been ripped in half so she was in no danger at all
I realise she's in no danger, that's obvious. But the fact it jolts so harshly and her seat-belt flies off, personally I would be terrified if that happened to me.
Last edited by ilyAlton on Thu Apr 11, 2013 5:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TheSmiler1998

It would certainly mAke the ride more interesting  :D
If she had of got hurt remember where's blame there's a claim! Lol
We know what we are, we know what we are! Erm.... Europa League winners we know what we are! Doesn't have the same ring to it does it?
Rollercoasters4Life

ilyAlton wrote:
TheSmiler1998 wrote: If you read the comments on the video one states that b and m said if the restraint had of failed the seatbelt would hae been ripped in half so she was in no danger at all
I realise she's in no danger, that's obvious. But the fact it jolts so harshly and her seat-belt flies off, personally I would be terrified if that happened to me.
Oblivions restraints are ratchet based which means they click down as far as they can go on each individual. If an individual is in between ratchets clicks (meaning there is a gap between their legs and the restraint) then they will have some give in the restraints - they can pull it down but it won't stay down as there is still some way of the next ratchet click meaning the restraint moves up and down.

In the video the seatbelt is probably keeping some of the ratchet click down but once it opens it jolts to the max of that ratchet that its on. Next time you sit down on Oblivion, just push your restraint up and sometimes it will move up and down as there is space between your legs and the max of that ratchet click.

Hope it makes sense.
mattallennet

Don't worry, Saw feels very safe without them. No upward movement whatsoever. And it makes checking and dispatching very quick.
bbooth2

I have been on nemesis before when going up the lift hill the acctual otsr came loose and I could freely move it up and down, I just pulled it down tight and it locked in again, hasn't stopped me going on it every visit though!
Rollercoasters4Life

bbooth2 wrote: I have been on nemesis before when going up the lift hill the acctual otsr came loose and I could freely move it up and down, I just pulled it down tight and it locked in again, hasn't stopped me going on it every visit though!
Like I explained above, the same is said for Nemesis.
Jammydodger

Just out of curiosity how does Saw's OSTR work?
Is it still ratchet based, but just silent? Or does it work differently?
SonicChips

Here we go again with one of my potentially thought provoking posts...... Like a lamp-post reciting poetry!

Anyway, some peeps seem to be concerned about the lack of a little seat belt (which when compared to Oblivion, the belts aren't tight, so don't serve to hold one in). "Does the harness - let's get technical "OTSR" - work and will it hold me in and....." Whatever!

Think of this way, you ARE looking forward to riding this ride, otherwise you wouldn't be posting on Smiler related forums. So, let's look at the worst case scenario: your OTSR unlocks, swings open and you're left sat there feeling exposed. You're flung off the ride and go hurtling through the air (maybe even towards Air). In your last moment on earth (technically not actually ON it though), you will have enjoyed the ride!

Now let's look at the "not" worst case scenario: your OTSR works. You buy a mug or cuddly toy, giggle then join the 15 hour long queue again.

Problem...? Nah!

On a little side note, aimed at those speculating on the exit route from the ride; what for disabled folk? They can't use stairs. Would it not make more sense (this is a genuine question) to have everybody use a slope instead? Of course, this means that I put into question the entire purpose of the rainbow stairs - I am NOT doubting the common popular proposed purpose though - I think it's very reasonable to believe they lead to the exit. (Awaiting numerous condescendence from y'all here on this one.)
ilyAlton

SonicChips wrote: Here we go again with one of my potentially thought provoking posts...... Like a lamp-post reciting poetry!

Anyway, some peeps seem to be concerned about the lack of a little seat belt (which when compared to Oblivion, the belts aren't tight, so don't serve to hold one in). "Does the harness - let's get technical "OTSR" - work and will it hold me in and....." Whatever!

Think of this way, you ARE looking forward to riding this ride, otherwise you wouldn't be posting on Smiler related forums. So, let's look at the worst case scenario: your OTSR unlocks, swings open and you're left sat there feeling exposed. You're flung off the ride and go hurtling through the air (maybe even towards Air). In your last moment on earth (technically not actually ON it though), you will have enjoyed the ride!

Now let's look at the "not" worst case scenario: your OTSR works. You buy a mug or cuddly toy, giggle then join the 15 hour long queue again.

Problem...? Nah!

On a little side note, aimed at those speculating on the exit route from the ride; what for disabled folk? They can't use stairs. Would it not make more sense (this is a genuine question) to have everybody use a slope instead? Of course, this means that I put into question the entire purpose of the rainbow stairs - I am NOT doubting the common popular proposed purpose though - I think it's very reasonable to believe they lead to the exit. (Awaiting numerous condescendence from y'all here on this one.)
Is it strange that I actually get excited when I see a new post by you? Seriously, you have me curled up in laughter every time!

As for the disabled comment, I do believe there is a lift on the left hand side - next to the queue line, now I'm not sure if this is for exit as well as entry, but to me that seems the likely disabled exit. Air for example has stairs on the right of the train, and the disabled route is on the left, heading up and around the air shop.
SonicChips

ilyAlton wrote:
SonicChips wrote: Here we go again with one of my potentially thought provoking posts...... Like a lamp-post reciting poetry!

Problem...? Nah!

Is it strange that I actually get excited when I see a new post by you? Seriously, you have me curled up in laughter every time!

As for the disabled comment, I do believe there is a lift on the left hand side - next to the queue line, now I'm not sure if this is for exit as well as entry, but to me that seems the likely disabled exit. Air for example has stairs on the right of the train, and the disabled route is on the left, heading up and around the air shop.
Oh yeah, forgot about Air (the ride, not the gas - that's be dangerous).
tyrex

Jammydodger wrote: Just out of curiosity how does Saw's OSTR work?
No, they're locked by hydraulic cylinders (that look just like car shock absorbers without the springs). One either side of the seat, both independently secured to the OTSR, so if one fails the other still keeps it locked. When unlocked the cylinder's fluid can flow through a valve in and out of a reservoir and so the piston attached to the OTSR is free to move up and down. When locked, the valve is closed and the piston can't move, so preventing the OTSR from moving also (or closed in one direction meaning the OTSR can only close, not open).

See third paragraph below:
http://www.gerstlauer-rides.de/products ... ter-en-US/

The system has the advantage of being infinitely adjustable to the occupant size, compared to a ratchet system which only has set positions (which means the OTSR can be either a little too loose or too tight), with the disadvantage of being technically more complex.

B&M use these now on their wing coasters (like Swarm) and their workings are a bit more visible - you can see the tops of the cylinders and the connections to the OTSR at the top of the headrest, plus you can see the small hydraulic fluid reservoirs behind the seats (see pic below, black reservoir at very bottom, attached to red seat base support)

EDIT: A better image here showing the internal workings - note the gold cylinders in the middle-left of the photo, with the black reservoir (looks a bit like a black apple with screw cap on top) at their base.

http://rcdb.com/897.htm?p=13383
Last edited by tyrex on Fri Apr 12, 2013 10:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
TheSmiler1998

tyrex wrote:
Jammydodger wrote: Just out of curiosity how does Saw's OSTR work?
No, they're locked by hydraulic cylinders (that look just like car shock absorbers without the springs). One either side of the seat, both independently secured to the OTSR, so if one fails the other still keeps it locked. When unlocked the cylinder's fluid can flow through a valve in and out of a reservoir and so the piston attached to the OTSR is free to move up and down. When locked, the valve is closed and the piston can't move, so preventing the OTSR from moving also (or closed in one direction meaning the OTSR can only close, not open).

See third paragraph below:
http://www.gerstlauer-rides.de/products ... ter-en-US/

The system has the advantage of being infinitely adjustable to the occupant size, compared to a ratchet system which only has set positions (which means the OTSR can be either a little too loose or too tight), with the disadvantage of being technically more complex.

B&M use these now on their wing coasters (like Swarm) and their workings are a bit more visible - you can see the tops of the cylinders and the connections to the OTSR at the top of the headrest, plus you can see the small hydraulic fluid reservoirs behind the seats (see pic below, black reservoir at very bottom, attached to red seat base support)

At first I thought you were just immensely clever before you posted the link!  :D
I wouldn't have put it and claimed the knowledge as my own.  :D
tyrex

TheSmiler1998 wrote: At first I thought you were just immensely clever before you posted the link!  :D
I wouldn't have put it and claimed the knowledge as my own.  :D
Eh? I wasn't claiming the knowledge as my own.

But my post is a lot more detailed than the link explains, so perhaps I've gone to a bit more effort in trying to help than you suggest?  :roll:
mattallennet

@Tyrex: TheSmiler1998 probably means he would have claimed it was his own knowledge, and wouldn't have put the link. He wasn't knocking you as far as I could tell. He was saying that you sounded really clever and the link provided shattered some of the illusion you created for him! (Edited for clarity)
Last edited by mattallennet on Fri Apr 12, 2013 10:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
tyrex

mattallennet wrote: TheSmiler1998 probably means he would have claimed it was his own knowledge, and wouldn't have put the link. He wasn't knocking you as far as I could tell.
Ah ok, fair enough - sorry TheSmiler1998 - these things don't always read the same to everybody - so thanks for clarifying.