The Smiler - Train Discussion

Smile always. New for 2013.

Do you like The Smiler Trains?

Yes
58%
No
15%
I'll wait until I see them in person before making a decision.
27%

Total votes: 434
118hazaman

Saw the 'I like Trains' picture on the construction forum, so I spent 10 minutes to make this masterpiece!

Can you guess how I feel about the ride trains?
AltonTowerfanatic

118hazaman wrote: Saw the 'I like Trains' picture on the construction forum, so I spent 10 minutes to make this masterpiece!

Just tweeted it to alton haha :D it's brill!
I'm ready to Smile!
Danny

AltonTowerfanatic wrote: The OTSRs were not on there when delivered. You may say it would just be done in the factory but why, the bits could of been made in England so no point sending them to Germany just for it to come back again, or they are too delicate or expensive for delivery or maybe just because they did!

They were defiantly made in Germany along with the trains, and most likely shipped whilst attatched to the trains. The only reason you couldn't clearly seem them in the wrapper is because the wrapping covers were stretched so that they didn't fit tightly over every fine detail.
AltonTowerfanatic wrote: And it's still in a factory soooooooooooo  ;)
They'll be in Merlin Studios North, kept in storage until the track is completed. Had the track been completed, they'd have been put onto it already which is why I doubt they will add anything else to them. This is likely the final product, the ride train that will appear in the advert and the ride train you will be riding from May onwards. No more. No less.
AltonTowerfanatic

Danny wrote:
AltonTowerfanatic wrote: The OTSRs were not on there when delivered. You may say it would just be done in the factory but why, the bits could of been made in England so no point sending them to Germany just for it to come back again, or they are too delicate or expensive for delivery or maybe just because they did!

They were defiantly made in Germany along with the trains, and most likely shipped whilst attatched to the trains. The only reason you couldn't clearly seem them in the wrapper is because the wrapping covers were stretched so that they didn't fit tightly over every fine detail.
AltonTowerfanatic wrote: And it's still in a factory soooooooooooo  ;)
They'll be in Merlin Studios North, kept in storage until the track is completed. Had the track been completed, they'd have been put onto it already which is why I doubt they will add anything else to them. This is likely the final product, the ride train that will appear in the advert and the ride train you will be riding from May onwards. No more. No less.
Shame :( really feel like crying haha :D well im just too upsesed haha
I'm ready to Smile!
nick67862

Just a quick point. has anybody thought that they look a bit like hospital beds...... :)
Joshysqaushy

Know i know im not the best with photoshop but i made this......  :D

I have tried to show what the train will look like on the track :)
DONCASTER ADVENTURE PARKS NEW COASTER
TRAILER:
UPDATES: http://forum.towerstimes.co.uk/viewtopi ... 8&start=40
AltonTowerfanatic

Joshysqaushy wrote: Know i know im not the best with photoshop but i made this......  :D

That's great, well done :D for some reason it doesn't fit I don't like it... And again I've tweeted it to alton haha :D
I'm ready to Smile!
MatthewR1990

Joshysqaushy wrote: Know i know im not the best with photoshop but i made this......  :D

Hmm... That doesn't look to bad there to be honest....
West Bromwich Albion until I die! I bleed blue and white.
D-Man

118hazaman wrote: Saw the 'I like Trains' picture on the construction forum, so I spent 10 minutes to make this masterpiece!

Should have turned the guys smile into a sad face too  :D

One thing I would have liked to have seen is the OSRs to have been themed to look like straight jackets! Would have added to the theme a little  :)

Got to say, I haven't ever liked Gerstlauer cars/trains (the saw ones are hideous!) but these ones kind of look okay  :) I have never liked the straight front of the trains but these have something different about them. The big Smiler logo and the yellow circular mesh sort of work well and the black bars do kind of resemble a hospital bed as someone has already pointed out  :)
Last edited by D-Man on Thu Mar 28, 2013 11:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Alba gu brath! Scotland Forever!
118hazaman

D-Man wrote:

Should have turned the guys smile into a sad face too  :D

One thing I would have liked to have seen is the OSRs to have been themed to look like straight jackets! Would have added to the theme a little  :)

Got to say, I haven't ever liked Gerstlauer cars/trains (the saw ones are hideous!) but these ones kind of look okay  :) I have never liked the straight front of the trains but these have something different about them. The big Smiler logo and the yellow circular mesh sort of work well and the black bars do kind of resemble a hospital bed as someone has already pointed out  :)
Just for you!
Benjsh

Really don't like the look of the trains. The carriages almost look like something you'd use to wheel Big heavy furniture out of Ikea or somewhere like that. And I still don't like the name either.

Thank god the actual ride itself looks to be the saving grace. But my word they are trying their best to mess it up.

So so dissapointed. Whomever designed those trains needs sacking. They look like something a 5yr old could draw up in about 2 mins.
coliver

Complete speculation coming up....  :?

After studying the trains briefly you can seen screw holes underneath the seat (mysteriously where leg ticklers would go) along the corrugated metal panel, two holes per each seat. But from a closer you see that the holes are not regularly spaced along the metal panel. People have been saying how are these trains incorporating the marmaliser elements. I believe that these holes are not screws but, holes where leg tickler tubes (similar to ice age 4d cinema ticklers & N:ST) will fit into place.

What do you think...? :)
SMILE = 53173 = 5/31/13
IT'S OPEN :)
Benjsh

Leg ticklers on dark rides and 4d cinemas make sense. On rollercoasters they don't. Unless they were used at a part of the ride where it was stationary or moving very slowly otherwise I doubt you'd notice with the speed etc.

I don't think that's what it is anyway. Probably something of nothing.
coliver

Benjsh wrote: Leg ticklers on dark rides and 4d cinemas make sense. On rollercoasters they don't. Unless they were used at a part of the ride where it was stationary or moving very slowly otherwise I doubt you'd notice with the speed etc.

I don't think that's what it is anyway. Probably something of nothing.
Just another coaster enthusiasts counting the days and wasting time on nothing ..lol
SMILE = 53173 = 5/31/13
IT'S OPEN :)
Boz

Poll merged with existing topic, please ask a mod to add a poll in future, if you believe one is necessary for discussion on an existing topic.  8)
MatthewR1990

I will say the seats look comfortable though. That is all.
West Bromwich Albion until I die! I bleed blue and white.
sku11dude123

The trains look a bit awful, But it's not much of a deal when it comes to the ride itself. I'm just worried about the Game and the actual design of the ride. Because the inside theming look's awful with the smiley face on every floor, Ceiling and wall. Maybe if the inside is filled with Optical illusions it will look fantastic, Worst case scenario there are too many and it's hello to Mr. No Epileptic People rule. 
Creative05

Frankly I care too much about the trains, because when I'm on the front row, all I'll be seeing is the track! And here's hoping that as the trains are twice as big and twice as heavy has saw trains, it'll be far less bumpy...here's hoping...
charlie0simister

I really think that these trains had so much more potential! They look very cheep and poorly made, 'not to mention the design on the backs of the seats! What were AT thinking! It reminds me of something that you would find interesting as a child. I also think that the trains should have had big smiler logos on the backs of seats.

But this is just my view on them :(
altontowerskid

I will reserve full judgement until I see them in person, but I do feel they have a clinical design to them, which suits The Smiler rather well. I understand why people are disappointed, lap bars would have been fantastic, but I would worry about the amount of hang-time and discomfort while riding.

Overall, I'm liking the design, I think they'll look fantastic going round the track BUT they could have been better :)