The Smiler - Mobile Game Application

Smile always. New for 2013.
Phild94

Rollercoasters4Life wrote: Just to confirm that the app is free, someone on twitter asked Alton Towers and this is their reply:
Alton Towers Twitter wrote: it's completely free! #TheSmilerGame
Obviously not surprising as it is free advertising for the new ride and the resort itself. Although, when pressed for a date this is how they responded:
Alton Towers Twitter wrote: the game is ready for release, but we're just finalising timings, will definitely be in February , can tell you that much!
So no concrete date set yet, unfortunately.
However it does tell us it will be before 20th or so because they are saying no matter what comes up they will be ready before March... Implies a little give to a date like I said 8 days early goves enough time tobprobably entirely redevelop the game if needed for whatever reason :D

Credit to Lewis97 for the fantastic signature :D
Vanessa Feltz

I found a high res screen lurking on the mobile site, Sneaky Towers ;)

Phild94 wrote: 8 days early goves enough time tobprobably entirely redevelop the game if needed for whatever reason :D
You have no idea on how Games Design is done do you? :P

To redevelop a game would take a months, I would assume all they're waiting for right now is the App Store testing to finish and they'll be ready for launch.
Last edited by Vanessa Feltz on Tue Feb 05, 2013 1:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
Previously Site Team!
"Thinks he knows it all"
Rollercoasters4Life

Phild94 wrote: However it does tell us it will be before 20th or so because they are saying no matter what comes up they will be ready before March... Implies a little give to a date like I said 8 days early goves enough time tobprobably entirely redevelop the game if needed for whatever reason :D
How do you get that? I'm not saying it won't be before the 20th but how can you surmise from what they said to 'before 20th'? Could be any date in February, before or after the 20th...

Would be silly to not release it during or before the Feb Half Term event though.
MatthewR1990

Vanessa Feltz wrote: I found a high res screen lurking on the mobile site, Sneaky Towers ;)

iPhone 5 size. That's a bonus for me ^_
West Bromwich Albion until I die! I bleed blue and white.
Phild94

Rollercoasters4Life wrote:
Phild94 wrote: However it does tell us it will be before 20th or so because they are saying no matter what comes up they will be ready before March... Implies a little give to a date like I said 8 days early goves enough time tobprobably entirely redevelop the game if needed for whatever reason :D
How do you get that? I'm not saying it won't be before the 20th but how can you surmise from what they said to 'before 20th'? Could be any date in February, before or after the 20th...

Would be silly to not release it during or before the Feb Half Term event though.
I didnt mean entirely redevelop i was typing and walking hence the spelling mistakes too... all i meant was that they have clearly given themselves some extra time to get this fully completed by the end of Feb so i thought that around the 20th would be more than enough for this...... i shall revise what i was trying to say

"8 days gives them plenty of time to iron out any mis-coding/glitches/errors or whatever there may be in the app (presuming that they aren't errors on the main script)"

The fact that they say it will definitely be done before March says that it's not going to be a Feb 28th kind of job.... hence why i got the original ~week earlier date for a release

Rollercoasters4Life

Phild94 wrote:

I didnt mean entirely redevelop i was typing and walking hence the spelling mistakes too... all i meant was that they have clearly given themselves some extra time to get this fully completed by the end of Feb so i thought that around the 20th would be more than enough for this...... i shall revise what i was trying to say

"8 days gives them plenty of time to iron out any mis-coding/glitches/errors or whatever there may be in the app (presuming that they aren't errors on the main script)"

The fact that they say it will definitely be done before March says that it's not going to be a Feb 28th kind of job.... hence why i got the original ~week earlier date for a release
Still don't understand what you are trying to say...sorry. Alton Towers have said
Alton Towers wrote:the game is ready for release, but we're just finalising timings, will definitely be in February , can tell you that much!
So the game itself is ready to be released, its just they are picking the optimum time to release it which is what they are discussing now. The ending bit to what they said is just to let everyone know to definitely expect it this month. If the game is ready which I believe that all if not 99% of it is then we will see a release soon - somebody (SpinDoctor) on this forum also said they have played it (whether or not to believe them is up to the individual, but it would suggest it is ready, to which Alton have said themselves).

I don't get where you are coming from when you are talking about finishing it/ironing out bugs and the 20th February lark.
Phild94

Phild94 wrote:
Rollercoasters4Life wrote: How do you get that? I'm not saying it won't be before the 20th but how can you surmise from what they said to 'before 20th'? Could be any date in February, before or after the 20th...

Still don't understand what you are trying to say...sorry. Alton Towers have said
Alton Towers wrote:the game is ready for release, but we're just finalising timings, will definitely be in February , can tell you that much!
So the game itself is ready to be released, its just they are picking the optimum time to release it which is what they are discussing now. The ending bit to what they said is just to let everyone know to definitely expect it this month. If the game is ready which I believe that all if not 99% of it is then we will see a release soon - somebody (SpinDoctor) on this forum also said they have played it (whether or not to believe them is up to the individual, but it would suggest it is ready, to which Alton have said themselves).

I don't get where you are coming from when you are talking about finishing it/ironing out bugs and the 20th February lark.
I was just saying i imagine they would ideally have everything packaged and ready to go for the 20th which gives them time to sort anything out if it needed sorting out.... it doesn't matter really and i need to kill my own conversation by saying please let's all move on XD

What sort of upgrades do you reckon we will get for the game (other than track as stated) do people think we will be able to upgrade cars, train wheels, logos, theming etc etc

lewis97
Admin
Admin

Well this gives us some idea of a release date - we're looking at right near the end of February-
@altontowers Will #TheSmilerGame be available before @moshimonsters February Half term event ? :-)

@Towers2Go no it won't be available until after Half Term.
getothing

Can someone explain it in photos not seen almost nothing of the route? Single lift and bunny hop? Twisted this thing -. -
If an inline twist, tower times team  would not hide ¡¡¡
i want to corrected now ¡
Liam-AltonTowers

Alton Towers have confirmed on Twitter that The Smiler Game won't be released until after the February Half-Term, they replied to Towers2Go saying, "@Towers2Go no it won't be available until after Half Term."

Credit to Lewis97, thanks for the amazing signature!
lewis97
Admin
Admin

Liam-AltonTowers wrote: Alton Towers have confirmed on Twitter that The Smiler Game won't be released until after the February Half-Term, they replied to Towers2Go saying, "@Towers2Go no it won't be available until after Half Term."
I think I beat you to it... Sorry
But it leaves only 4 days for it to be released on: 25th-28th
lewis97 wrote: Well this gives us some idea of a release date - we're looking at right near the end of February-
@altontowers Will #TheSmilerGame be available before @moshimonsters February Half term event ? :-)

@Towers2Go no it won't be available until after Half Term.
lewis97
Admin
Admin

Matmi are the developers of The Smiler Game, they posted this on their website:
We are thrilled to be working on a project for Alton Towers Resort; developing a range of GRIN-tastic mobile fun promoting the theme park’s new world first rollercoaster; including a mobile game, competitions and exciting Augmented Reality features. Is it actually possible to fit all this into one mobile app?!

Watch this space to find out…..
Here's the link to the page, but what I've quoted is all what's said
http://matmi.com/blog/matmi-works-its-magic-for-alton-towers/
lewis97
Admin
Admin

Now they're teasing us...
@Torri_Xx #TheSmilerGame will be out soon, certainly in the next 3 weeks! The question is- will it reveal the secrets?
Marcus

lewis97 wrote: Now they're teasing us...
@Torri_Xx #TheSmilerGame will be out soon, certainly in the next 3 weeks! The question is- will it reveal the secrets?
Sounds abit unprofessional IMO.
Phild94

lewis97 wrote: Now they're teasing us...
I like the term secrets maybe this will be a multiple worlds first :D

oj

I sense a mass marketing campaign beginning...

They have said they want to bring it out at the right time, and what better time than when the whole country knows about the knew ride? I think we'll see some Smiler ads pretty soon.
The Smiler is Coming...
lewis97
Admin
Admin

So currently there's no release date, this either means they're in the final stages of finishing off the app, or its release will be spontaneous.
@kieranflan_28 we do not have a confirmed release date at present, watch this space!
oj

They have finished it, but are waiting for the right time to release it.
I'm sure I heard this somewhere...
The Smiler is Coming...
Rollercoasters4Life

Rollercoasters4Life wrote: Just to confirm that the app is free, someone on twitter asked Alton Towers and this is their reply:
Obviously not surprising as it is free advertising for the new ride and the resort itself. Although, when pressed for a date this is how they responded:
Alton Towers Twitter wrote: the game is ready for release, but we're just finalising timings, will definitely be in February , can tell you that much!
dazza4783

Presumably it will be released when the park opens for half term, i'm guessing there will be a fair bit of marketing on park for the ride, and probably also for the game.