X Sector Refurbishment

Smile always. New for 2013.
andywhit

Thrillmad wrote:
clayj wrote:
Liam-AltonTowers wrote: TowersTimes news feed. Latest news thing, or you could check out the construction topic;)

P.S. Imagine if they removed the orange supports and added Marmaliser legs making it a mini marmaliser lol
IMO that logo looks like it was installed in about 5 minutes it looks cheap and doesn't make sense, couldn't they have put on a black and yellow stripy oblivion logo, x-sector is not becoming TMOJ'S headquarters it becoming theming for the smiler
The logo looks like a temporary cover for the sign underneath it. It will probably just be there for one season only. it looks like a material sign.
Altontowersbarlow

Im not to pleased that their making the x sector the smiler i like the theme the way it is.
PSxyz

dazza4783 wrote:
PSxyz wrote:
rhino18 wrote: ^Nah, Nemesis looks great. It was designed to have rustic effects for themeing purposes. In your idea of a repaint, how would you have it done? In my opinion, Air needs a repaint the most. When it opened, it had a shiny, bluey-turquoise colour and black supports. Now, the track looks all faded and white and the supports look grey. It just looks filthy. Oblivion could get away with it, because its theme would allow it. Air's supposed to be a gentle and aesthetic ride. Thirteen's fine, obviously and so's Spinball. Rita could do with a repaint, but with some 'Nemesis-style' decor on top of the main coat.
Where did I mention altering the colour scheme? for nemesis too stand the test of time it needs a repaint, some of that rusting effect is more than likely to be actual rust, certainly deserves some new trains.
If Nemesis gets new cars/trains i would love it to get wing rider style restraints on them. Would add to the ride experience.
N3m3s1s

In all fairness, where else would it fit in? Personally, I like the location. Adds to the mystery.
Altontowersbarlow

Only the x sector but they should leave the secret goverment theme alone :D
ethanthecoasterfreak

dazza4783 wrote: If Nemesis gets new cars/trains i would love it to get wing rider style restraints on them. Would add to the ride experience.
How? Wing coaster restraints wouldn't be needed, and they aren't even that comfortable sometimes.
nemesis1978

PSxyz wrote:
dazza4783 wrote:
PSxyz wrote: Where did I mention altering the colour scheme? for nemesis too stand the test of time it needs a repaint, some of that rusting effect is more than likely to be actual rust, certainly deserves some new trains.
If Nemesis gets new cars/trains i would love it to get wing rider style restraints on them. Would add to the ride experience.
Apologies for the off topic debate about Nemesis but I think it was referring to my original post a couple of pages back. I said I was very happy with the X Sector refurbishment and if they could now sort out FV, airs tunnel and the dark forest it would awesome.  In no way was I suggesting a full on repaint of Nemesis in a different colour, that would be ridiculous,  but as PSxyz said it does need a repainting in its original scheme and the station sorting (no doubt next year for her 20th)

Anyways I digress back on topic.. I am happy that they have got rid of the Fanta logo but think an Oblivion logo or the top of the rehydrator being just black would look slightly better than the Smiler logo currently in place. The rehydrator was (and is) part of Oblivions area and to whack a Smiler logo on there feels wrong to me.

:D
ryanlovesaltontowers

That's the point, it doesn't fit in anywhere, so why should they plonk it over the top of the Rehydrator diluting Oblivion's brand/theme even more!

People may say that it's not as bad as fanta, I can agree with you there but at least fanta was orange not this random smiler face that has nothing to do with Oblivion at all.

Yet again I fear we may be heading for another theming mishap, smiler colours/theming should be confined to the smiler area, the oblivion/x-sector theme (pipes, circular concrete buildings, cable fences) has not been carried onto the smiler, which is a shame I think.
Altontowersbarlow

I totally agree oblivion should be oblivion and the Smiler should be the smiler why mix them? :D
KevBales

I guess it's something to do with the fact that the park are now saying that the Ministry of Joy had something to do with not only Oblivion but also the other rides in X-Sector. Maybe it's because the MOJ are now revealing themselves and reminding you that even riding Oblivion they have control over you and you must smile!... maybe  :)

I understand what u mean as each ride in X-Sector has a specific colour, Oblivion = Orange, Smiler = Yellow, Submission = Blue and Enterprise = Green so seems odd putting the Smiler logo there.

Or it could just be temporary to promote The Smiler before it opens in May??
"If they open the vault they're meddling with things they don't understand... they should just leave the vault alone..."
lewis97
Admin
Admin

A quote from The Sun's AT pullout, which confirms that TMOJ are behind X Sector:
The Smiler is the latest device that is believed to originate from The Ministry of Joy - an organisation that has been seen or heard but has been conducting human experiments since 1998.

The Ministry of Joy devices first appeared when X Sector was created. Previous devices included: Enterprise, Submission, Oblivion and more recently, The Sanctuary.

(Irrelevant Paragraph)

Previous experiments were frightening but it is now clear they were just softening you up for the main purpose - The Smiler.

(Then goes into info on ride and game)
Coasterfan312

altontowersbarlow wrote: I totally agree oblivion should be oblivion and the Smiler should be the smiler why mix them? :D
Because they're in the same area... ¬_¬
Smiling since 1997.
Theme Parks Visited: 19
Rollercoasters Ridden: 75
N3m3s1s

They should get the bins back (the orange and black ones). They looked nice!
ryanlovesaltontowers

N3m3s1s wrote: They should get the bins back (the orange and black ones). They looked nice!
Yeah didn't they used to have orange chevrons down the side of them and 'waste silo' written on them?

They did look rather ace, come to think of it, most of the areas used to have themed bins and tables
dazza4783

ethanthecoasterfreak wrote:
dazza4783 wrote: If Nemesis gets new cars/trains i would love it to get wing rider style restraints on them. Would add to the ride experience.
How? Wing coaster restraints wouldn't be needed, and they aren't even that comfortable sometimes.
Wing coaster restraints are basically lap bars with a vest, i suppose what i was saying is, if nemesis is going to get new trains, change it to lapbar restraints.

P.S sorry for going off-topic.
Last edited by dazza4783 on Wed Mar 13, 2013 11:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PSxyz

ryanlovesaltontowers wrote: That's the point, it doesn't fit in anywhere, so why should they plonk it over the top of the Rehydrator diluting Oblivion's brand/theme even more!

People may say that it's not as bad as fanta, I can agree with you there but at least fanta was orange not this random smiler face that has nothing to do with Oblivion at all.

Yet again I fear we may be heading for another theming mishap, smiler colours/theming should be confined to the smiler area, the oblivion/x-sector theme (pipes, circular concrete buildings, cable fences) has not been carried onto the smiler, which is a shame I think.
It's never had anything to do with Oblivion, The Rehydrator is a revenue/advertising space coca-cola, fanta, why not use it temporarily promotional space for the Smiler? A Oblivion logo would be dwarfed by the much larger one makes no sense.
Owen

Or even a large 3D security camera on top which moves slightly
Altontowersbarlow

Coasterfan312 wrote:
altontowersbarlow wrote: I totally agree oblivion should be oblivion and the Smiler should be the smiler why mix them? :D
Because they're in the same area... ¬_¬
  yes but thats like saying nemesis and air are in the same area lets mix their logos and theming around it wouldnt work and oblivion is just being sucked into the smiler. :D
Henry

In my opinion, I like the idea of Oblivion being sort of to do with the Smiler, obviously not all this made by the sanctuary stuff, but i like having the Smiler logo there, it sort of reminds you to go on the Smiler after Oblivion (not that you wouldn't notice it next to you)
It also keeps the Smiler alive in you minds, if you know what I mean.
Credit to Lewis97 for the signature!
Phild94

I wouldnt be too surprised if AT decided to put a few more slighlty more permenant logos around the park... i mean look at the way they spray painted them over everything.... whats to say that they cant have a few more saying TMOJ is taking over the park.... even if it is just for the first couple of months of opening

Credit to Lewis97 for the fantastic signature :D