The Smiler - Other Discussion

Smile always. New for 2013.
Owen

Joshysqaushy wrote: I was in school and we were designing clocks... here was my idea for a smiler clock, sadly my stupid teacher dismissed it as silly and too detailed; i now hate my teacher
As you can see the clock has all the effects of the marmaliser on the sides of it such as the hypnotiser, the flasher, the giggler, the inoculator and the tickler.

I put it in miscellaneous because i didn't know where else to put it...  :D
Mean teachers -.-
I designed a saw the ride clock a while back (about 4 years ago) and made it!
It had barbed wire around the outside and it looked like a window with a frame and glass. It had 4 sections one with smashed bits on it. Two with blooded hands and writing over it. Three was all scratched up. And four had yellow black striped police tap over it  :D
dylan.tempelaars

heres what i just posted in marmaliser topic if anyone didnt notice my hard work, please also take into fact that i am only 12 :)

hi u lot i did a drawing of the marmaliser here is a quick gallery of pics for it  note: legs are not in right order but have right detail
Last edited by dylan.tempelaars on Fri Apr 26, 2013 5:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
some people call me insane, you are right!
Oblivion115

Phild94 wrote: Several lectures into the day I gave up with trying to listen about the fascinating realm of DNA polymerization and decided instead to come up with a temporary logo for the x-sector/towers or possibly for the TV adverts..... it was only done in about 10 minutes but i think you'll get the general idea XD

That looks really good id love it if that was on adverts :D

Thanks lewis97 for the signature!
Interesting fact: I play bass :P
Forza_Dan24

Some great drawings on here, all of them definitely better than anything I could draw up using just a pencil! Nice work guys :)
Smile. Always. :moj
Big thanks to lewis97 for the signature!
TheOutpatient

I first saw this posted by a female friend about 12 years ago, but I always think of this when I hear about The Smiler

Please visit my blog of original dark ride ideas: http://mattsdesignsblog.wordpress.com/
Marcus

Seen a couple of Smiler ads on YouTube and other websites.

http://i.imgur.com/hOgnNl3.png
http://i.imgur.com/KzJxWaO.png
Last edited by Marcus on Sun Apr 28, 2013 7:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Luce

Please continue any other discussion about merchandise, hotel rooms and marketing in here.
Heisenberg96

Are people still confident we'll see an advert on the 30th? Honestly I don't see why they'd release it on a Tuesday, most likely it'll be on the 4th seeing as how it's a Saturday night and shows like BGT and the voice have lots of viewers that would see it.
A

Heisenberg96 wrote: Are people still confident we'll see an advert on the 30th? Honestly I don't see why they'd release it on a Tuesday, most likely it'll be on the 4th seeing as how it's a Saturday night and shows like BGT and the voice have lots of viewers that would see it.

I wouldn't be surprised to see an advert at all, as soon as testing is under way, and the team are sure that there are no major issues that could cause setbacks. They'll be wanting to get as much advertising time before the ride opens, as they possibly can :)
Last edited by A on Mon Apr 29, 2013 9:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
I'm not completely useless, I can be used as a bad example :P
leeprice

While we're talking about advertising... Out of curiosity, when AT says The Smiler is an £18m investment, would this include the marketing costs or would that come from their general marketing budget?

I'd have a guess and say they've included some marketing in the "investment"
SpecyBeast

Heisenberg96 wrote: Are people still confident we'll see an advert on the 30th? Honestly I don't see why they'd release it on a Tuesday, most likely it'll be on the 4th seeing as how it's a Saturday night and shows like BGT and the voice have lots of viewers that would see it.
I think it might air between BGT on Saturday 4th May, the advert could also continue into Catchphrase the next day...also i would like to add in addition to your statement that the voice is commissioned by the BBC and BBC generates its revenue from the television license and merchandise NOT through advertisements.
Pleaseeee Populate my forum for Media Studies

http://thrillmakersofficialfans.net84.net

Kieran141

I heard that the secret element is getting revealed Tuesday, so it would make sense if the adverts Tuesday, then the advert will say what it is.

Edit by Boz: Please remember to use correct grammar, Full stops and commas will make your posts easier to read
Last edited by Kieran141 on Mon Apr 29, 2013 9:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
DONT LOOK DOWN

Kieran141 wrote: I heard that the secret element is getting revealed Tuesday so it would make sense if the adverts Tuesday then the advert will say what it is
Where did you hear this? John Wardley said you have to ride The Smiler to see what the Secret Element is.  :?
Being number two is just being the first to lose.
JayJay90

Kieran141 wrote: I heard that the secret element is getting revealed Tuesday, so it would make sense if the adverts Tuesday, then the advert will say what it is.

Edit by Boz: Please remember to use correct grammar, Full stops and commas will make your posts easier to read
A secret element wouldn't be a secret if it was to be aired on an advert. There are still people out there that don't know much about this project remember, so therefore AT will market the secret element (if there is one) on the advert and not give it away until a few days before.

We are enthusiasts and thereby know more of the intricate details before most. We've know about a possible secret element since the start of construction, if not before, whereas if I was to ask my friend sat next to me, "do you know about the smiler and its secret element?", they'd probaby reply, "oh isn't that the new ride somewhere?". They wouldn't really have any idea that "something" was going to happen as an extra.

In the past, with the likes of Th13teen, the secret element was revealed a few days before in the media, not in advertising.

Part of the £18m budget would have included marketing also. Remember we have seen buzz/hyping quite a while ago before it was delayed with sheep and the smiler logo being projected on buildings and making its way around other Merlin owned establishments. They had a really good and well planned out marketing system for Oblivion which can be seen on Alton Towers Magic documentary on youtube. Within this, you would see a lot of promotion about oblivion in the upcoming months that didnt really associate with alton towers brand then leading up to more information being revealed nearer to the time (last few weeks before opening). To me, this is very similar to The Smiler as we have already seen the logo projected (marketing the brand with no clear link to towers as people will view this and wonder what it is and why its appearing everywhere. Same with the sheep). Next we are going to see the adverts and such and I agree, I do think we will see this on a primetime advert slot during BGT or something.
Last edited by JayJay90 on Mon Apr 29, 2013 4:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
George B

If this is where we put marketing, then I think that I know when the advert will be shown. Tomorrow. April 30th. Dortmund vs Real Madrid. I heard people talking about the game today. And I thought that " The Smiller is aimed at a teenage audience and a lot of teenagers will be watching the semi-final."

Thanks to NemesisRider for the signature
SonicChips

leeprice wrote: While we're talking about advertising... Out of curiosity, when AT says The Smiler is an £18m investment, would this include the marketing costs or would that come from their general marketing budget?

I'd have a guess and say they've included some marketing in the "investment"
From a financial perspective, The Smiler will be (I assume, although I've never worked in this industry) a fixed asset. The cost of a fixed asset has nothing to do with the marketing costs although the initial pre opening marketing of the ride specifically, rather than the resort as a whole, may have been absorbed into the £18m.

Generally, fixed asset acquisitions will be spread across a number of years (for the expected lifespan of the asset - say 25 years for this - £720,000 per year cost). Marketing will be accounted for in the actual year in which it is. You don't want to show marketing for the Smiler in 5 years time as a new ride, but you may want to show costs of the asset.

Essentially, no. I don't think the £18m includes marketing.

Before I am "corrected" (lolz yeah well funny etc etc), I know this isn't fully accurate from an accounting perspective, but it's a simplified version so I would like to pre-emp any accounting based responses or arguments about that part by highlighting that this isn't a comprehensive lecture of fixed asset and marketing accounting.

And finally: BACON!
Ripsaw Raver

this is the recorded version of my poem.ThePoemOfJoy
Sit Back Turn up-smile and enjoy to the end
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o02XOk6O1ms
CHECK OUT MY FLICKR PHOTOSTREAM
http://www.flickr.com/photos/djthorpeimages/

Why is Nemesis Inferno really Inferior
MitchHawker Steel CoasterPoll 2012
Nemesis at #12
Nemesis Inferno at#123
arE Y0u R3AdY t0 Sm1Le?

Do you think The Smiler will push Oblivion to the side? Not that i'm not extremely excited for this! but I just fell that our beloved Bivvy will be sunken and tiny in comparison to this beast! she won't be the first thing you look at as you enter! she will lose her fear and overpowering status, she will look like an easy ride! Oblivion is my favorite ride at the park and I fear that this ride will make her less popular and result into her closing date coming ever so closer! With the extra noise created by the Smiler I think her iconic BOOM! will be harder to hear which is a shame!

I wish they will upgrade her, maybe make the track longer but then again that will take away the focus from what's she is built for. but make her drop the biggest ( if it already isn't ) in the park as its her main card, and if it already is the biggest make it bigger! And i think they should change her so its a full 90 degress drop by doing this: http://old.towerstimes.co.uk/history/pl ... t/df02.jpg to her track! I know the hanging over the edge is part of the fear but they can still do that here! but really have you hanging over the edge! and it will build up so much more tenison just imagine the slow turn as the hole become ever more clear and then you get pulled back to the top of the track... then you FALL!

I know this is more of an Oblivion post but I fell this sis the best area for it as it involves the Smiler ;)
Jealousy, turning saints into the sea
Swimming through sick lullabies
Choking on your alibis

But it's just the price I pay
Destiny is calling me
Open up my eager eyes
‘Cause I'm Mr. Brightside
youarecorrectsir

arE Y0u R3AdY t0 Sm1Le? wrote: Do you think The Smiler will push Oblivion to the side? Not that i'm not extremely excited for this! but I just fell that our beloved Bivvy will be sunken and tiny in comparison to this beast! she won't be the first thing you look at as you enter! she will lose her fear and overpowering status, she will look like an easy ride! Oblivion is my favorite ride at the park and I fear that this ride will make her less popular and result into her closing date coming ever so closer! With the extra noise created by the Smiler I think her iconic BOOM! will be harder to hear which is a shame!

I wish they will upgrade her, maybe make the track longer but then again that will take away the focus from what's she is built for. but make her drop the biggest ( if it already isn't ) in the park as its her main card, and if it already is the biggest make it bigger! And i think they should change her so its a full 90 degress drop by doing this: http://old.towerstimes.co.uk/history/pl ... t/df02.jpg to her track! I know the hanging over the edge is part of the fear but they can still do that here! but really have you hanging over the edge! and it will build up so much more tenison just imagine the slow turn as the hole become ever more clear and then you get pulled back to the top of the track... then you FALL!

I know this is more of an Oblivion post but I fell this sis the best area for it as it involves the Smiler ;)
I made a point earlier about the rides being 2 different, incomparable roller coasters - they are all about two different things!
I think yes, the Smiler will overpower Oblivion at first because its new! Of course it will have more attention. But remember this will draw more people to X-sector, and therefore attract more people to Oblivion!

Once anyone rides oblivion (even after the Smiler) I DARE them to tell me it isn't worth riding.
[align=center]"Everybody dies, but not everybody lives"[/align]
SonicChips

arE Y0u R3AdY t0 Sm1Le? wrote: Do you think The Smiler will push Oblivion to the side? Not that i'm not extremely excited for this! but I just fell that our beloved Bivvy will be sunken and tiny in comparison to this beast! she won't be the first thing you look at as you enter! she will lose her fear and overpowering status, she will look like an easy ride! Oblivion is my favorite ride at the park and I fear that this ride will make her less popular and result into her closing date coming ever so closer! With the extra noise created by the Smiler I think her iconic BOOM! will be harder to hear which is a shame!

They don't touch so I don't think there'll be any pushing involved. Unless of course, the world first includes the Smiler coming alive and walking or snaking over toward Oblivion before sprouting huge black metallic arms and pushing Oblivion, like a school-yard bully.

I personally think it unlikely though, at best.