The Smiler - Construction Discussion

Smile always. New for 2013.
The Terminator

I've been to AT today for the first time in a couple of months and things are starting to look interesting, by the look of things the area where the station is going to be has bottomed out as it has been levelled off at the bottom.
It seems as there's going to be an underground section of track because this hole is well below the level of the bottom of the cobra loop.
None of this ground works was mentioned in the plans either, interesting indeed.
I WILL be back
jordanc14

In the plans, didn't it state that vertical construction would start in September? Shouldn't that mean we should start seeing supports and track in the next three weeks??  :?
ry1996

^ Yes, yes it did. But we probably wont see any vertical this month as they haven't even got footers yet. 
Boz

I believe footers are classed as vertical construction, as it's not technically land prep. plus there's the station building to think about.
I would expect the foundations to be laid, or start being laid in the next week. That is most likely the first thing to start going vertical, as it normally is with any new coaster, with the first few pieces of track laid there.
although most of that building will probably be left until after the end of the season, due to the prospect of the worlds first being inside.
Nightfall

From what I've been lead to believe the foundations were supposed to be in place by now (hence why the metal rebar's have appeared on site) but due to the wet conditions the site isn't quite ready yet. The track was supposed to arrive about now (as in this actual week) but I heard someone mention the delivery had been pushed back by up to a month because the foundation work is behind schedule.

Bear in mind this isn't all from one completely reliable source just a combination of several information leaks that seem to all link together.
[align=center]Image[/align]
mikey_mcl

Nightfall wrote: From what I've been lead to believe the foundations were supposed to be in place by now (hence why the metal rebar's have appeared on site) but due to the wet conditions the site isn't quite ready yet. The track was supposed to arrive about now (as in this actual week) but I heard someone mention the delivery had been pushed back by up to a month because the foundation work is behind schedule.

Bear in mind this isn't all from one completely reliable source just a combination of several information leaks that seem to all link together.
I can't see them delaying the delivery of the track, as this would just surely sit on an empty car park/storage area until it's erected. The 'summer' weather this year, definitely won't have helped with the site prep :(
Just hope there's some track work to see at Scarefest time :)
Rollercoasters4Life

/\ Yeah like he said, I can't see the point in delaying the track delivery as all it will do is sit in the Car park near the hotel like Th13teens track did. The only reason I can see is because of the track becoming weathered just sat outside, but that can just be easily covered up with tarp sheets.
Nightfall

Tarpaulin sheets are not curious enthusiast proof  ;)
I agree they could just leave them on the car park. But it could be a case that they've know for a while they're behind schedule and just decided to give Gerstlauer a warning who then decided it would be better to send them at a later date. Or everything could be on schedule and either the rumours about this being the week were wrong or they'll turn up in the next few days.

I just thought it was worth me mentioning what I've heard. Not only has it been a fairly consistent rumour over the last few months but it fits with the track arrival of Saw and presumably Th13teen.

Which reminds me, what happened to the SW6 mini-site? There was some good content on there but the whole thing disappeared around the time of the forum split up. I asked the team over at TowersStreet if they'd taken it down but apparently not  :?
[align=center]Image[/align]
jordanc14

Sorry but just to clarify, The actual document states that 'ride installation' will commence in September 2012, this can be seen in the planning document below.

Zach

Could I possibly have a link to that as I'd like to continue reading on thanks :)
swfcjambo

ATfanatic wrote: Could I possibly have a link to that as I'd like to continue reading on thanks :)
It's in the planning application.....
mikey_mcl

ATfanatic wrote: Could I possibly have a link to that as I'd like to continue reading on thanks :)
All the planning documents can be accessed via this link: http://publicaccess.staffsmoorlands.gov.uk/publicaccess/tdc/DcApplication/application_detailview.aspx?keyval=LWI1WJPG0D700&searchtype=PROPERTY&module=P3 
Zach

What file is that ?
sweedish2009

Anyone else seen the rumor via facebook from Theme Park Guide that steel has been reported today at Alton Towers? 

Feedback? Anyone know anymore?
Now's not the time for fear. That comes later.

Follow me on Twitter- https://twitter.com/one_hung_low
sweedish2009

sweedish2009 wrote: Anyone else seen the rumor via facebook from Theme Park Guide that steel has been reported today at Alton Towers? 

Feedback? Anyone know anymore?
And when I say steel I assume they mean supports/track?! :|

Morgano

Steel yes, ride supports, ride parts etc... no.

Apparently this is steel to construct the station.
jordanc14

Here you go,  :D

http://publicaccess.staffsmoorlands.gov ... 37852).PDF
loaster

There are pictures from today on the "towersstreet" Facebook page.

I think the steel in question is the frame that is going around the toilets. But can't be certain. What do you think ?
sweedish2009

Well, aside from mounds of dirt, holes, construction walls and workmen picking there noses, the sight of steel is starting to get me excited!

ry1996

Why have they still got to get rid of those poles from Black Hole?..why are they not gone?.