The Smiler - Construction Discussion

Smile always. New for 2013.
jbuckton18

MatthewR1990 wrote: Think we are missing a HUGE point here, did John Wardley and his family have hi-vis jackets and a hard hat on?
Nope they didnt have hi-vis nor hardhats on. However the builders on site still have hard hats on and hi-vis jackets on.
Some say they've seen angels, Ive seen The Smiler - That's enough
aress

As some people have mentioned here, the magnetic strips have been removed from the vertical lift, is this true? I did wonder why, but I'll tell you what, if you watch the official Alton Towers TV ad for The Smiler, it DEFINATELY gives the impression of a vertical launch! I'm not saying there will be one, of course, just that the advert is clearly designed to look like there is. Very curious about this vertical lift now!
Alex

Seems like they are getting the first ride, the perks of being his children...
jbuckton18

dazza4783 wrote:
jbuckton18 wrote:
TheSmiler1998 wrote: Leave and never return to th forum  :twisted:
;)
haha i know that's what i feel like doing ! to my defence , i only had a glace or 2 and it was only the back of his head that i saw ! Until people told me it was JW .. i was like daaammmnnn !
Wonder if they are there to ride it or just for a behind the scenes tour. Presumably John has already ridden it but his family may not have, unless they were there for the press event. If they ride then it is possible that they will soft open it to the public later today. With full opening tomorrow.
Not sure. They walked into the shop entrance and now i cant seem to see them. From the looks of things there is a train in the station so it could be a possibility that they are going to ride it today or just have a tour around. However it does look like JW has got a day off since he is in casual ! Looks like they are having a family day out at the park and just happen to be allowed on the smiler site. I dont see it being open to the public today though. All signs set to be an opening tomorrow.
jbuckton18

aress wrote: As some people have mentioned here, the magnetic strips have been removed from the vertical lift, is this true? I did wonder why, but I'll tell you what, if you watch the official Alton Towers TV ad for The Smiler, it DEFINATELY gives the impression of a vertical launch! I'm not saying there will be one, of course, just that the advert is clearly designed to look like there is. Very curious about this vertical lift now!
It's true. However , from the videos from testing we have seen, The v lift is not launched.
dazza4783

jbuckton18 wrote:
dazza4783 wrote:
jbuckton18 wrote: haha i know that's what i feel like doing ! to my defence , i only had a glace or 2 and it was only the back of his head that i saw ! Until people told me it was JW .. i was like daaammmnnn !
Wonder if they are there to ride it or just for a behind the scenes tour. Presumably John has already ridden it but his family may not have, unless they were there for the press event. If they ride then it is possible that they will soft open it to the public later today. With full opening tomorrow.
Not sure. They walked into the shop entrance and now i cant seem to see them. From the looks of things there is a train in the station so it could be a possibility that they are going to ride it today or just have a tour around. However it does look like JW has got a day off since he is in casual ! Looks like they are having a family day out at the park and just happen to be allowed on the smiler site. I dont see it being open to the public today though. All signs set to be an opening tomorrow.
Ofcourse he would go in via the exit, rather pointless walking through the whole queue line.
jbuckton18

True , however if he was riding it , i probably would of saw it moving by now ! Unless they are having a small tour first and then riding it ? Who knows
SuperWill

If The Smiler does open tomorrow which I think it will I hope John Wardley is there because I might try and get a photo with him if he is ok with it! :)

Credit to Lewis97 :) 

Sit back, it's fright time! :D
jbuckton18

SuperWill wrote: If The Smiler does open tomorrow which I think it will I hope John Wardley is there because I might try and get a photo with him if he is ok with it! :)
He has always been at the opening of every ride he has designed. And i know JW is one of the nicest guys you could ever meet. If you have ever watched the Coaster Force Th13teen documentery, he glady has an interview with them no trouble and then answers all his questions in detail. Im sure if he can do this , he can have a picture taken with you :) Im hoping to get a picture or 2 aswell :)
Alex

aress wrote: As some people have mentioned here, the magnetic strips have been removed from the vertical lift, is this true? I did wonder why, but I'll tell you what, if you watch the official Alton Towers TV ad for The Smiler, it DEFINATELY gives the impression of a vertical launch! I'm not saying there will be one, of course, just that the advert is clearly designed to look like there is. Very curious about this vertical lift now!
We know it is a chain lift, it would make the advert quite long if the lift was at the real speed so thats why its like that. Whatever you do, dont mention the f word here, take heed of my warning ;)
Jack

Ready_23 wrote:
We know it is a chain lift, it would make the advert quite long if the lift was at the real speed so thats why its like that. Whatever you do, dont mention the f word here, take heed of my warning ;)
what word, FINS? :lol:

(P.S 600th post :moj )
Last edited by Jack on Thu May 30, 2013 6:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Aidan Lowe

Source: @jadeconomist

Source: @lizabethsal

Source: @weggy71
Last edited by Aidan Lowe on Thu May 30, 2013 1:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Formerly known under username Andy Mc
Alex

Bad things will happen to you... :evillaugh:
Phild94

Mabalzich wrote: Source: @jadeconomist

Nice shot:

.... I think this pic is for all those people thinking the Marmaliser was small and tacky......

Credit to Lewis97 for the fantastic signature :D
TheSmiler1998

jackandylan123 wrote:
Ready_23 wrote:
what word, FINS? :lol:
Oh snap he's used the F word! Code Red, Code Red! This is not a drill, I repeat this is not a drill!
Rebel in the house!  ;)
@LukeSavidge1998 I follow back so hit follow button! #getcorrect #excited
We know what we are, we know what we are! Erm.... Europa League winners we know what we are! Doesn't have the same ring to it does it?
pjb012

The Smiler is now appearing on the Alton Towers ridetimes website...

EDIT: and it's been removed again - lol!
jbuckton18

pjb012 wrote: The Smiler is now appearing on the Alton Towers ridetimes website...

EDIT: and it's been removed again - lol!
Ah so they were testing it ? This is what they were doing last week with the 'The Smiler will not be open' thing on the website. They put it on and then removed it quickly but put it back on again! Good timing with the snapshot ! Once again , park staff are confirming it to be open tomorrow!
pjb012

AT could do with opening The Smiler right now to tackle some of those other queue times. I noticed that Sonic Spinball was 2hrs earlier on.  :shock:
Last edited by pjb012 on Thu May 30, 2013 2:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
NecronomiconUK

pjb012 wrote: AT could do with opening The Smiler right now to tackle some of those other queue times. I noticed that Sonic Spinball was 2hrs earlier on.  :shock:
The joys of half term
jbuckton18

NecronomiconUK wrote:
pjb012 wrote: AT could do with opening The Smiler right now to tackle some of those other queue times. I noticed that Sonic Spinball was 2hrs earlier on.  :shock:
The joys of half term
I have been on park today , yesterday and monday just gone and i have to say it's been relitivly quiet apart from today tbh! really shocked ! I can only imagine what it's gonna be like tomorrow ! :L Not looking forward to the queues but for the smiler im so exited !