The Smiler - Construction Discussion

Smile always. New for 2013.
Andzdrew

RollercoasterGEEK100 wrote: So, does anyone thing they will be able to manipulate the track that didn't fit?
All will be fine in the morning, I think at the rate they're going track will be finished on Monday
TheSmiler1998

RollercoasterGEEK100 wrote: So, does anyone thing they will be able to manipulate the track that didn't fit?
Well they kinda have to dont they!
You can't exactly leave the track with a hole in it can they?
@LukeSavidge1998 I follow back so hit follow button! #getcorrect #excited
We know what we are, we know what we are! Erm.... Europa League winners we know what we are! Doesn't have the same ring to it does it?
Mattfat1

I'm off to AT tomorrow, I'll head to the smiler asap to calm some nerves and give an update to the first drop being completed if nobody already already has...
MatthewR1990

I said it earlier, steel is a lot more malleable than people realise, I'm in a better position than anyone to tell you this. My profession is as a tool steel machinist. So yes, with enough force and jiggly pokey, it will be manipulated relatively easy.
West Bromwich Albion until I die! I bleed blue and white.
RollercoasterGEEK100

TheSmiler1998 wrote:
No need to get so rude about it.  :roll:

Credit to NemesisRider
aircanman

MatthewR1990 wrote:
I said it earlier, steel is a lot more malleable than people realise, I'm in a better position than anyone to tell you this. My profession is as a tool steel machinist. So yes, with enough force and jiggly pokey, it will be manipulated relatively easy.
You are right, but this isn't a piece of steel, this is tubular steel with reinforced angles welded to it, if cranes, straps and ratchets and jacks aren't going to move it, it seems it is not as malleable as you may think!
Trisnie

TheSmiler1998 wrote:
I would assume they knew where the points it would struggle to meet and at best will be able to twist the track into place or have a long job to releasing some bolts to provide the give they need at worst I am sure they will be able to produce a bit of track in a day or 2!

Alternative answers could be use a fin to fill the gap!!!  :lol:
or could this be the secret element? you never make it to the end!
aircanman

Sam198 wrote: It is literally just the barrel roll.

We were asked to cover it by the park, so we did. It's not rocket science...
Could it be some armitage shanks in the pit, to solve the issue with the toilet block?
Forza_Dan24

Just whack it with a hammer :drunk:
Smile. Always. :moj
Big thanks to lewis97 for the signature!
MatthewR1990

aircanman wrote:
MatthewR1990 wrote:
You are right, but this isn't a piece of steel, this is tubular steel with reinforced angles welded to it, if cranes, straps and ratchets and jacks aren't going to move it, it seems it is not as malleable as you may think!
It was moving though wasn't it ;) i never said it would be quick. Roodles was ushered off park before it was finished. And it was still being "craned, strapped and ratcheted" into place. :)
West Bromwich Albion until I die! I bleed blue and white.
Mattfat1

aircanman wrote:
Yeah but watch Nemesis when the train goes past and you can actually see the track bowing 20+cms just by eye. Don't worry about it....

Besides, Archimedes said "If you give me a big enough lever I can move the world" and I'm sure the world is harder to move than a bit of steel and he seemed fairly confident about it!
Andzdrew

Honestly, steel is very malleable, that is why it has been fabricated into tri-rail track, a triangular cross section such as this is nearly impossible to bend. It may look like they are bending the track into place, but it's really the supports that are being pulled
The Earl

Just got back from a great day at the park, lovely weather ect ect. Though not all was great and going to plan down at The Smiler. Take a look for yourself.

Here's you can see the last piece of the inverted drop being installed, but not without putting up a fight.

and again....

Here's a close up showing just how much off alignment the two sections are.

Brazilian13Guy

Oh no, look at the first screen, the tracks are connected but it seems like the other side doesn't fit in any case! Looks like the first drop is a bit out of place. I think REALLY is a big problem
Ryster

Seems to me that this wont fit by trying to force it in the green arrow direction alone. They'll need to pry the peices apart in the pink arrow directions first. But, what do I know :)

TheDarkEmoKid92

Get me a helicopter I have an ATP License :)
temleh

The only reason you don't see this happen normally is because most coasters nowadays are built on flatter land (COUGH Parking Lots). The engineering challenges here have been paramount - this might well be the most complex roller coaster ever built?! Things like this WILL happen! As long as they solve the problems and the ride experience isn't affected then we have nothing to worry about! :)
Last edited by temleh on Sun Apr 21, 2013 12:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
Follow me on Instagram! @v05mattclay
Evostance

They should have just demolished those toilets and built some proper supports that are incorporated into a new toilet block.  It might have cost more, but the toilets at the Towers are pretty dated and old anyway.  They all need refurbing.
Creative05

Does anyone have that cool little up t date birds eye plans of how much is constructed, in green and red? I like a nice visual of how much is left lol
Andzdrew

Once this piece is in, there just half of the first lifthill to complete, and the hypnotising legs