The Smiler - Construction Discussion

Smile always. New for 2013.
NutterFrutter

Morgano wrote:
As for cost, We are blessed with team members who are undertaking helicopter flying lessons. It's a win win.
Win Win and blessed? Inexperienced pilot flying hundreds of thousands of pounds worth of equipment over millions of pounds worth of equipment, trucks, construction workers and a heritage site with a priceless ruin... what could go wrong...
I think it's safe to assume any trainee pilot would have an experienced instructor with them. :)
Lord Antaz

I'm about to undertake a ppl (h) course and flying such amazing machines is amazing over the countryside, let alone the towers where you can view construction of the new coaster.        Edit:    In fact during my course, I may be able to fly over such places. I'll let you know if I can get photos
Last edited by Lord Antaz on Fri Oct 26, 2012 1:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jb19852

Nightfall wrote: I think you lot are mental!

That's not to say I don't look forward to seeing these pictures and wouldn't dream of stopping you. But I can't imagine Alton/Merlin being too happy with you flying over their land with deliberate intent to reveal their top secret project without their say so. They might even ask you to take the photos down rendering them un-viewable until after the rides opened.

And that's not even considering the personal cost. I noticed you were advertising for a pilot the other day which can't be cheap even if they have their own Helicopter and are willing to take you for no extra cost. If they're not... well, based on my Army mate additional passenger fee I wouldn't like to be the one paying the bills!

So yeah I think you are mad, but good luck.
well this is the last post I am going to post on this forum for a while as i think this is absured. As a long term browser of this forum going back to 2002 I have to say this is the most foolish thing you could do. AT will not be happy about this and judging by past run-ins with them I wouldnt be suprised to see action taken by them. Its just bonkers what you are doing! Yes we are all fans but this is a bit extreme. Each to their own i guess and without going into the whole change of management debacle this sends out signals to me of a forum that is desperate to try and out do all others and be no.1. I thought an enthusiast forum was a place where people could form a community and discuss similar interests with others and share their passion? The seems to me like you are saying a big F U to AT by not considering how they may react.

You may not be breaking any rules here but you may well break the relationship you have with AT/Merlin and I really hope it comes back to bite you.

Good luck
ImURNemesis

I don't see why people are getting so worked up about this.

Providing everything is legit and acordance with the law, which I'm pretty sure it is, then I can't see any problems. The cost will be huge just to get a few photos from above though but I'm sure you'll all aware of this. If you wish not to see any pics don't view this page or anyother page that will tell you such.

TowersTimes, break a leg and enjoy the view!
Instant Mix

jb19852 wrote:

That's not to say I don't look forward to seeing these pictures and wouldn't dream of stopping you. But I can't imagine Alton/Merlin being too happy with you flying over their land with deliberate intent to reveal their top secret project without their say so. They might even ask you to take the photos down rendering them un-viewable until after the rides opened.

And that's not even considering the personal cost. I noticed you were advertising for a pilot the other day which can't be cheap even if they have their own Helicopter and are willing to take you for no extra cost. If they're not... well, based on my Army mate additional passenger fee I wouldn't like to be the one paying the bills!

well this is the last post I am going to post on this forum for a while as i think this is absured. As a long term browser of this forum going back to 2002 I have to say this is the most foolish thing you could do. AT will not be happy about this and judging by past run-ins with them I wouldnt be suprised to see action taken by them. Its just bonkers what you are doing! Yes we are all fans but this is a bit extreme. Each to their own i guess and without going into the whole change of management debacle this sends out signals to me of a forum that is desperate to try and out do all others and be no.1. I thought an enthusiast forum was a place where people could form a community and discuss similar interests with others and share their passion? The seems to me like you are saying a big F U to AT by not considering how they may react.

You may not be breaking any rules here but you may well break the relationship you have with AT/Merlin and I really hope it comes back to bite you.

Good luck
Got to say you are getting in to a tizzy about it. If TT want to spend all these resources doing it, then let them do it. I might think its a bit extreme but that's no reason to throw a tantrum about it.
sweedish2009

jb19852 wrote:

Good luck
Really? You can't possibly tell me if aerial shots were posted on towerstimes showing off the construction in all its glory you wouldn't have a little look? I'm 99% sure you would be drooling over them, like the rest of us.

I don't see it as TT getting one over the other websites, I see it as thinking outside the box. If they can get away with it then why not? If you've got such a problem with it then maybe your better off on Towers Almanac talking to yourself?
Now's not the time for fear. That comes later.

Follow me on Twitter- https://twitter.com/one_hung_low
Chris-TT

jb19852 we are simply delivering theme park news. The only people who will see anything are people who choose to look. We are in 2012 now not 1992. Things have changed and the Internet has taken on a whole new precedence.

Trust me we have tried to work with AT to organise other events. Rather than breaking into parks and enter dangerous construction zones to take photos (as some other sites have done in the past), this seems like the logical solution as its completely above board and puts no-one in any danger.

95%+ of Alton Towers visitors will be surprised on opening day with the new ride as they won't have looked at TowersTimes. The other 5% or so that choose to look will be enthusiasts. This will not effect visitor numbers in any negative way. We are simply documenting construction so fans can enjoy.
PeteB

I think some people are just getting a bit childish on here.

Yes, we are serious about delivering news and construction updates over closed season but at the end of the day it's just a bit of harmless fun. No one is getting hurt over it. No one's business is at risk. No relationships will be damaged.

We are lucky to have the resources to pull off an operation like this. If you don't want to follow the construction of what is turning out to be the most significant roller coaster development in this country in the last 20 years, then simply don't read or view the photos.

However we ourselves, and plenty of other people here it seems, want to follow this construction. So kindly let us get on with it please.
jb19852

I guess its each to their own.

And PeteB, at no point did i say i wouldnt 'let you get on with it' so drop the attitude? I dont want to get personal against anyone but as an adult with 3 children of my own and a mortgage i certainly dont see myself as childish and dont appreciate the tone of that particular post.

Is it not a forum where people are entitled to an opinion? hmm....

If this is how you wish to go ahead good luck as a forum, i was just stating my opinion on the matter.  Has freedom of speech gone out the window in 2012?

I dont see this as negative, just over the top and highly expensive and potentially could damage your relationship with AT/Merlin. Incidentally have you asked their opinion?

Like I said, good luck but I dont want to see so as per my previous statement I wont be lurking for a while. Really didnt expect such a debate here and my opinion is clearly not valid so perhaps the admin should remove the last 4-5 posts and allow conversation to flow?

:-)
Last edited by jb19852 on Fri Oct 26, 2012 4:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Alex

I really think this is all stupid as TT have decided something and will do it no matter how people feel, now can we please stop going off topic and have some more pics of the track, does anyone know if more has been delivered today?
Ritadz

jb19852 wrote:

Good luck
Seriously? How the hell can you be so offended by TTF legally flying in airspace no one owns to take pictures? They're not hurting anyone or doing anything wrong so why are you bitching so hard about something that doesn't even effect you?  :roll:

I for one can't wait to see these pictures and credit to TTF for sorting them out! :)
Tom G

I admire your boldness with this idea and wish you luck.
monkeyboy

Can I ask how many times you will fly over? once a week?
Chris-TT

Monkeyboy its difficult to say really, we have at least 2 companies taking photos for us and some of the team will also be taking flight lessons ourselves, however it is weather dependent. At this time of year some of the shots might be awful and we might not even be able to view the site. I might be wrong but I think we will generally be flying over at around 500ft, so as long as there's clearance at that height we will get some good shots. So some weeks we may have lots to show you, others not so much.

I will be going up for a bit of a trial run in the next week, but need to wait for a clear day and also see how my camera performs, as something more professional may be required. Getting advice on cameras at the moment :)
monkeyboy

It must be costing a fortune!

are we expecting serious adverts ahoy!!!
Chris-TT

Nope nothing more than normal, TT is a hobby not a money maker for us. At the moment we don't have any adverts as Alton Towers refused to pay us through the advertising company they were using because of our close affiliation to the business.

However other themeparks are often eagar to advertise with us because of our high google rankings with Alton Towers and related keyword searches.

We have an SEO onboard improving things even more now, so we should rank higher on more keywords when the new site goes live.

Any advertising won't be too intrusive, and any profits after costs will be put into future events for you our members.
Anyway, back to SW7 discussion...
RustyRider

You may well be within the law doing this, but morally it's totally wrong...we all love Alton towers and how unique their construction of coasters is, by doing this you're going against everything their marketing works towards...

To put it another way, you wouldn't go behind your best mates back to date a woman they've recently broke up with, technically you're doing nothing wrong but morally you are!!
Ladies and Gentlemen, our first SuperHero TTFer :D - Magrathea.
jb19852

RustyRider wrote: You may well be within the law doing this, but morally it's totally wrong...we all love Alton towers and how unique their construction of coasters is, by doing this you're going against everything their marketing works towards...

To put it another way, you wouldn't go behind your best mates back to date a woman they've recently broke up with, technically you're doing nothing wrong but morally you are!!
This is my point entirely but its a matter of opinion.

Sorry for my outburst earlier, bit of an over reaction and didnt mean to offend anyone.

I have to say (totally off topic) I am pretty impressed with the 'sneak preview' of the new TT that Chris has let loose
Rob
Admin
Admin

Construction pictures during closed season is something that people crave for. This is just a way of doing it in a legal way but better than photos being taken though a bush which I'm sure other sites will be attempting. 
Chris-TT

One last thing I will say on the matter...
I tried to arrange something for the beginning of next season, offering Alton Towers tens of thousands for quite a small exclusive event for the loyal members who have stayed with us on TowersTimes, it really wouldn't have put them out to arrange, but they wouldn't even negotiate on price or the event itself.

Obviously they have more money than they know what to do with, so I really hope we don't see cutbacks with SW7. If they don't want our money, don't want to support there fans, then I really don't feel guilty about taking a few photos.