The Smiler - Construction Discussion

Smile always. New for 2013.
TheOutpatient

Amazing pictures. It looks great in the moody weather.
Barty wrote: Image

It feels really good looking at this Enterprise now. There seems to be a new lease of life here. I guess thats the paint and having the support of its big brother in the background there :D

(Oblivion is probably feeling like a jelous older child right now)
Please visit my blog of original dark ride ideas: http://mattsdesignsblog.wordpress.com/
Danny

Is anyone on park today?
bealyboy

I just asked towers if it will be open for scarefest (when I'm going) and they said "hopefully" then under it they wrote (not a banner) Join Us May 2013......
SMILE.ALWAYS
Static Veins

I'm on park today and tomorrow. Will take any pictures and relay any updates I find out! Any pics or info will probably be posted to Twitter first as it's easier. @StaticVeins if anyone is interested!
Will1997

On twitter Alton Towers are saying that the smiler is currently closed due to technical issues. Could this mean a soft opening today?
jbuckton18

Will1997 wrote: On twitter Alton Towers are saying that the smiler is currently closed due to technical issues. Could this mean a soft opening today?
I don't see how you can think it will open today when it says ''the smiler is currently closed due to technical issues'' ... ?
Some say they've seen angels, Ive seen The Smiler - That's enough
Will1997

Alton towers have changed it from teething problems to technical issues. This could mean an opening soon!
jbuckton18

Will1997 wrote: Alton towers have changed it from teething problems to technical issues. This could mean an opening soon!
No doesnt mean that at all .. Dont assume things mate.
Some say they've seen angels, Ive seen The Smiler - That's enough
wburgess

Will1997 wrote: Alton towers have changed it from teething problems to technical issues. This could mean an opening soon!
This changed a few days back I'm afraid... But I don't think it will be too long, they are still touting May 2013
Chaz

wburgess wrote: But I don't think it will be too long, they are still touting May 2013
They were still touting May 23rd until midday on the 22nd. I wouldn't hold your breath.
1ne, 2wo, 3hree, 4our, 5ive, 6ix, se7en, ei8ht, 9ine, t10n, e11even, tw12ve, th13teen

www.facebook.com/charliemarsh7
lewis97
Admin
Admin

For anyone who doubted if The Smiler would be closed today (from AT's twitter)...
@MillieNash15 Hi Mille, X-Sector will be open today but The Smiler remains closed due to technical reasons. ^Matt
ProjectK

wburgess wrote: I thought the smiler was closed for the foreseeable future? Surely TowersTimes didn't get a big statement like that wrong?

Oh hang on... The news article has changed and the header removed...

:roll:
I'm really happy to see this header disappear! I did think that this was a little over-zealous on TT's part - the wording does suggest a long-term problem when none had actually been confirmed. (Sorry mod's!) Fingers crossed that its removal is a heavy hint at a near opening date...!
Heisenberg96

I'm still convinced we'll get an opening date today. Right now there's so much confusion as to when the ride will open. The website seems to suggest May 2013, but the way Alton Towers and some of the TTF members are addressing the issue, suggests it could be much later. Either way I think Alton Towers must know the timescale of this job, and we seem to be getting mixed messages from AT. I can only think it makes sense now for Alton Towers to give everyone a rough release date at least to stop all the confusion - though personally I think it'll open in a matter of days.

That's the thing though, if its nearing completion they should release a date so that we all stop guessing dates to visit for its opening. If it opens on Friday for example, and you could go this weekend, but you don't because you've booked a day in July thinking the opening date was much later, you might be cheesed off.

:moj
lewis97
Admin
Admin

wburgess wrote: I thought the smiler was closed for the foreseeable future? Surely TowersTimes didn't get a big statement like that wrong?

Oh hang on... The news article has changed and the header removed...

:roll:
This post of mine may be of interest to you...
Chaz

Heisenberg96 wrote: I'm still convinced we'll get an opening date today. Right now there's so much confusion as to when the ride will open. The website seems to suggest May 2013, but the way Alton Towers and some of the TTF members are addressing the issue, suggests it could be much later. Either way I think Alton Towers must know the timescale of this job, and we seem to be getting mixed messages from AT. I can only think it makes sense now for Alton Towers to give everyone a rough release date at least to stop all the confusion - though personally I think it'll open in a matter of days.

That's the thing though, if its nearing completion they should release a date so that we all stop guessing dates to visit for its opening. If it opens on Friday for example, and you could go this weekend, but you don't because you've booked a day in July thinking the opening date was much later, you might be cheesed off.

They may have a rough idea already. However, with already having 2 opening dates that didn't come to fruition it is in their best interest not to announce any date until they are 100% certain. Imagine the uproar if they had to postpone yet another opening date. In my opinion, we wont see a date announced. I reckon they will keep testing, do some softs and then have 'NOW OPEN' on their website and social media feeds.
1ne, 2wo, 3hree, 4our, 5ive, 6ix, se7en, ei8ht, 9ine, t10n, e11even, tw12ve, th13teen

www.facebook.com/charliemarsh7
gallopbob

Heisenberg96 wrote: I'm still convinced we'll get an opening date today. Right now there's so much confusion as to when the ride will open. The website seems to suggest May 2013, but the way Alton Towers and some of the TTF members are addressing the issue, suggests it could be much later. Either way I think Alton Towers must know the timescale of this job, and we seem to be getting mixed messages from AT. I can only think it makes sense now for Alton Towers to give everyone a rough release date at least to stop all the confusion - though personally I think it'll open in a matter of days.

What, like they did last time?  Whatever they do, it will be wrong.  The last 50 pages on the site slates them for giving a date!  If you can't win, don't play!
Aidan Lowe

I'm currently on site of The Smiler it seems the fins on the second air time hill are gone? I'll post a pic to twitter @IG3N
Formerly known under username Andy Mc
GigaSurimi

Thrillmad wrote:
jackandylan123 wrote:
Ripsaw Raver wrote: Lets see Queue jumpers get round that one!
What about people with a disabled pass (like me :evillaugh: )
And me,but I'm not gonna boast.
Anyway,IMO it works so well as it brings the claustrophobia back from the sanctuary...
Yeah, boasting about having a disabled pass...  :roll:

Back on topic, I wonder how much this whole delay thing is actually hurting AT. I guess it must have quite a huge impact money wise... As for the "reputation", I'm not too worried about that.
lewis97
Admin
Admin

Mabalzich wrote: I'm currently on site of The Smiler it seems the fins on the second air time hill are gone? I'll post a pic to twitter @IG3N
All credit goes to Mabalzich for the following images, and you can find his twitter page HERE:

An inspection apparently:

Last edited by lewis97 on Wed May 29, 2013 9:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
Heisenberg96

gallopbob wrote:

What, like they did last time?  Whatever they do, it will be wrong.  The last 50 pages on the site slates them for giving a date!  If you can't win, don't play!
True, but I'm sure Alton Towers must know if its not going to open for a long time. There isn't much you can extract from 'The Smiler will be closed today due to technical issues' - is this a short term problem? How serious is this technical issue? If Alton aren't sure then that's why they should release a rough date - basically, that means that if they don't think it will open in May, change the site to 'opens June 2013' if that's the month they think it will open - that way everyone expecting some massive delay will know its sooner than they think, and everyone thinking it opens tomorrow will know they need to delay a visit.

And I think the reason everyone was annoyed about the 23rd date was because Alton Towers must have known it wouldn't open then about a week before they announced it. At the end of the day, people wouldn't have been as annoyed by a days delay than a weeks delay - Alton Towers got it wrong because they must have known the 23rd was a realistic date. The least AT could do is say 'there's still major work to do - we could expect a July release' or say 'we're making the finishing touches - it should open soon'.