The Smiler - Construction Discussion

Smile always. New for 2013.
dazza4783

B3N7AM1N.712 wrote: Does anyone know how big the indoor section drop is because it looks huge on the pov ;) and also is there going to be a mist/smoke effect in the entrance to the indoor section like there is in the game
It's around 30-40 ft, judging by what we've seen of it in the construction pics. I hope there will be the smoke/mist effect. The game seems pretty accurate in most aspects, apart from the missing inversions of course, so i would assume it will be there, along with the projections on the walls around the drop and heart-line.
Danscott22

Static Veins wrote:
Danny wrote: Station interior:
Very minimal but I like it a lot.
epicV3N0M wrote: why, why oh why did AT have to go with the bright yellow tacky theme :'( we could have had a real sinister thing, based around a hospital or asylum or something :(
Isn't that kind of the point though? It is a real sinister thing cloaked in an over-exaggerated coating of happiness, which only adds to how sinister it really is. Much more unique and striking than them going the run-down, spooky route again.

If any of you play video games, this is what Portal would be like in ride form - it's the same "Yay! Science is FUN and SAFE!" facade over a sinister reality approach.
Just have to bring this up, I love the pattern at the top of the stairs in the top right hand corner!:D
smilingdude123

cant wait to ride need correcting now!!!!!!
SM1L5 ALLWAYS
T1M5 T0 G5T MARM1L135D
Hitch

Trying to do revision with all this going on is near to impossible.
aress

Oh wow, the POV footage looks awesome! I cannot understand what possessed ITV to mirror the footage, why on earth would they do that!!! Watched the "corrected" footage though, much better. :)
1996coaster

Keep in mind the POV does a jump cut indoors before the first lift, does this mean they have purposely placed this jump cut to hide something?
▬▬▬▬▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬▬▬▬▬
orangeman2003

they could have just cut the waiting time so its a shorter clip or there hiding something, either could be true atm we dont know.

If anyone has the ITV news footage please could u post it on youtube. Many thanks
Evostance

epicV3N0M wrote: its just I feel its a little rushed. I totally agree though :) just doesn't seem very... Towersy ;)
Gets delays for 3 months...seemed a little rushed

:roll:
george2v

James97 wrote: Trying to do revision with all this going on is near to impossible.
At least someone understands my pain!

Mum: "George, are you doing revision?"
Me: "Yes Mum, stop bugging me!"
Mum: "Let me see..."
Me: *Minimises TowersTimes*
getothing

yes ¡¡¡ajjaja and Glados is Marmaliser jajaja --I think this ,world first face detection roller coaster ,looks good ,there are cameras around the smile moments ,smile you are on CCTV ?its the world first '
If an inline twist, tower times team  would not hide ¡¡¡
i want to corrected now ¡
Joshysqaushy

Does anyone have the itv video showing the station and that john wardley interview?
DONCASTER ADVENTURE PARKS NEW COASTER
TRAILER:
UPDATES: http://forum.towerstimes.co.uk/viewtopi ... 8&start=40
Owen

1996coaster wrote: Keep in mind the POV does a jump cut indoors before the first lift, does this mean they have purposely placed this jump cut to hide something?
They do this before both lifts
glen191

The photo of what looks like a coil of pipe is actually used for feeding cable through pipes etc.
Nocama

1996coaster wrote: Keep in mind the POV does a jump cut indoors before the first lift, does this mean they have purposely placed this jump cut to hide something?
I thought this straight away, I think this is where you will hear a voice or watch something on a TV screen as a kind of pre-show, a little like Furious Baco. The second lift we know is slow at starting, this may just be the same with the first lift and so the cut may be just to break the video up. Until the indoor section has been completed I don't think we will know what the secret element will be. It looks very flooded in the indoor section though with a lot of water on the floor.
@jordywilsonmcr :)
Jadiibeth

Just to ask? watched the itv footage on tv, again and again, how come they are saying it opens next sunday? completely baffled!
george2v

Jadiibeth wrote: Just to ask? watched the itv footage on tv, again and again, how come they are saying it opens next sunday? completely baffled!
Because ITV are massive idiots that seem to keep messing up advertising for Alton Towers .. saying the wrong date on Daybreak, itv.com and now the evening news, as well as very little coverage the other day ... I much preferred BBC's coverage of TH13TEEN ....
Barty

B3N7AM1N.712 wrote: Does anyone know how big the indoor section drop is because it looks huge on the pov ;) and also is there going to be a mist/smoke effect in the entrance to the indoor section like there is in the game
Oh yeah, i forgot about the smoke! Would be very awesome to see :) I go in 2 weeks today and my excitement levels have gone over the top aha! Keep your eyes peeled for any new equipment/themeing turning up on site for the indoor section
TheOutpatient

epicV3N0M wrote: why, why oh why did AT have to go with the bright yellow tacky theme :'( we could have had a real sinister thing, based around a hospital or asylum or something :(
I have to disagree. Tacky to me means something is flimsy and insubstantial, but I'm seeing this word thrown around a lot!!
Though I, myself might have liked some nasty avacado tiles (which tbh we can't completely rule out, yet) - the darkness that you see in a themepark is not real darkness, not really. If you look at The Haunted House and Nemesis the so called darkness is infused with bright colours, attractive design, humor, lovely hardware etc. Bright colour, while it is simplistic, works brilliantly. Yellow was proven to be the happiest colour. If you look at a flag rope, all that is is triangles of colour, and those look good to me.
Please visit my blog of original dark ride ideas: http://mattsdesignsblog.wordpress.com/
Hitch

Its been posted on the itv website :D - http://www.itv.com/news/central/topic/roller-coaster/
Edit - its still in reverse :lol:
Jadiibeth

george2v wrote:
Jadiibeth wrote: Just to ask? watched the itv footage on tv, again and again, how come they are saying it opens next sunday? completely baffled!
Because ITV are massive idiots that seem to keep messing up advertising for Alton Towers .. saying the wrong date on Daybreak, itv.com and now the evening news, as well as very little coverage the other day ... I much preferred BBC's coverage of TH13TEEN ....
good! felt like hurling something heavy at the tv for being wrong!! so glad it hasnt changed....