The Smiler - Construction Discussion

Smile always. New for 2013.
coreylee106

Hey, this is my first post on here but i have been watching the discussions since the very beginning and thought that its about time I posted. Today i was showing a friend the scanner in the Smiler app and when i scanned one of the promo images (the one where the 3D track layout appears when you scan it) and I watched the trains go round and then noticed that when a train comes out of the station it has quite a bit of speed that lasts until about halfway up the first lift hill. I know this perhaps should be in the speculation topic but could this be the launch confirmed?

Scan it yourself and watch-

ImURNemesis

coreylee106 wrote: Hey, this is my first post on here but i have been watching the discussions since the very beginning and thought that its about time I posted. Today i was showing a friend the scanner in the Smiler app and when i scanned one of the promo images (the one where the 3D track layout appears when you scan it) and I watched the trains go round and then noticed that when a train comes out of the station it has quite a bit of speed that lasts until about halfway up the first lift hill. I know this perhaps should be in the speculation topic but could this be the launch confirmed?

Scan it yourself and watch-

Welcome new member to Towers Times  :D

I strongly think they will not add a launch hill. Simply because, for a launch to have an impact on the overall ride it will have to be a powerfull launch. Taking into account of the amount of inverstions, speical effects, near miss elements and the layout, this would make this an extreamly uncomfortable ride and more than likey the riders will can wiplash as a result. Also they are expensive and taking into accont that if it were to go ahead it would have to be a toned down launch. They could install a different type of lift mechanism instead of a trational chain lift, but I'm not an expert in this field. Plus, the park has Rita which is already a launch coaster.

I'm still hoping the Smiler will Duel in all fairness!

Anyway, keep up the good work TT! And good things do come to those who wait!  :)
Osaka12

Personally I cannot see how a launched lift powered to drop you over the crest at a slow speed would be uncomfortable. If it is timed correctly you would simply crest the lift hill at the same speed as a chain lift, just with the added thrill of boosting out of the shed and up the hill.

I'm assuming ppl against the launch are thinking of a Rita style launch that would boost you over the crest of the hill (in this case I agree, too extreme).
BHXDMT

tleady wrote: Yes. All the rides are open including Oblivion and The Sanctuary. I would expect AT to be treating this as a practice weekend for new workers.
Oblivion and The Sanctuary weren't open today (Th13teen was also closed and Sub Terra broke with me on it and then closed on and off throughout the day), although I did see the entrance to The Sanctuary from afar.

They kept X Sector very well cordoned off today. You could only see the two inverted drops, nothing else was visible from the publicly accessible areas, so no more new construction at the very top end of the site. Lots of track still around the car parks!

And yes, seems like lots of new faces around especially on Sub Terra, which was a more chaotic experience than usual!
Last edited by BHXDMT on Sat Mar 09, 2013 8:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bigstanny

Hey Guys.! Just got back from the park today, And as a visitor to the park for over 20 years, I have to admit it was one of, if not the worst visit i have ever had. :cry:
Where do i start? i Guess with some construction input as this is the place for it. Well as you can imagine, X-sector was completeley closed off as i had imagined due to construction and health and safety issues. Couldn't really see anything of the smiler other than the first and second incompleted lift hill and vertical lift hill above the toilet, I was hoping pehhaps i could get a snap of a completed first lift hill for you guys but that was not the case.
So over we headed to to Rita, On passing by also noticing that the sanctuary wasn't open either. Now this i found strange from my perspective as i thought it might of gave people from the GP to get perhaps a little insight, Or maybe hint at what is to come. Anyway we get to Rita to discover a huge queue, Reason for this is they only have one train operating all day and we would be queueing for over an hour for it. I thought sod that and we went to queue for TH13teen, And guess what?? Yes it was closed all day. So at this point and considering we hadn't ridden anything yet i was feeling quite grumpy.
So not to be disheartened we headed to the beast that resides in FV nemmy, On-route we decided we would pay sub-terra a visit as my partner and another in our group today hadn't experienced it, Now i know some of you might say ''Theyr'e not missing much'' But it's still an experience they might enjoy. Get there and surprise surprise it's closed due to tecnichal difficultys. The good news is i got to ride nemesis and we all decided to skip air as it was over an hour for that, And we assumed the queue's might die down and throughhput for the rides will balance things out during the remainder of the day. How wrong was i, Basically we ended up doing 3 family rides and one thrill ride, Oh and a trip to SBR to see the little fishy's.
And even on exiting the monorail wasn't even working, Sorry to sound like a moaning old F**T, I wouldn't mind i don't work for john lewis i was just a guest and had a ticket bought by my brother in law.
Anyway, There was still quite a few bits of track laying around in the car park and supports aswell im sure we'll see some more improvent soon.
Overall really bad day wasn't impressed i need a shoulder to cry on. :cry:
W@LLI$

BHXDMT wrote:
tleady wrote:
And yes, seems like lots of new faces around especially on Sub Terra, which was a more chaotic experience than usual!
So has sub terra changed again?
#GETCORRECTED
BETTER NOT GO ALONE
[url=http://"http://ridesims.com/users/4791-cawallis123/"]Image[/url]
BHXDMT

W@LLI$ wrote:
BHXDMT wrote:
tleady wrote:
The ride and general experience haven't changed, although the strobing and banging in the maze was broken today (although that may be due to the whole ride going tech whilst we were on it).

There are new members of staff on the Phalanx team and they couldn't really control the crowds upon entering the ride and especially around the baggage hold, it was just a bit disorganised. Guest interaction wasn't really there in the queue line/baggage hold area like last year either.

But today was probably some of their first time with the public on the ride! I guess they'll settle into their roles just like last years staff did.
Last edited by BHXDMT on Sat Mar 09, 2013 8:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bigstanny

BHXDMT wrote:
W@LLI$ wrote:
BHXDMT wrote: And yes, seems like lots of new faces around especially on Sub Terra, which was a more chaotic experience than usual!
The ride and general experience haven't changed, although the strobing and banging in the maze was broken today (although that may be due to the whole ride going tech whilst we were on it).

There are new members of staff on the Phalanx team and they couldn't really control the crowds upon entering the ride and especially around the baggage hold, it was just a bit disorganised. Guest interaction wasn't really there in the queue line/baggage hold area like last year either.

But today was probably some of their first time with the public on the ride! I guess they'll settle into their roles just like last years staff did.
Guys without sounding rude, This is going off topic.
BHXDMT

bigstanny wrote:
BHXDMT wrote:
W@LLI$ wrote: So has sub terra changed again?

Guys without sounding rude, This is going off topic.
It is indeed, my apologies. That certainly wasn't my intention... which is why I provided a brief construction update from what was visible on park today during my visit (albeit, not a lot!):
BHXDMT wrote: They kept X Sector very well cordoned off today. You could only see the two inverted drops, nothing else was visible from the publicly accessible areas, so no more new construction at the very top end of the site. Lots of track still around the car parks!
Last edited by BHXDMT on Sat Mar 09, 2013 9:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bigstanny

Its ok. :) Well all i can say is, I think once everything is up and running and when the Smiler is eventually open we've all got something to look forward to.
Zach

bigstanny wrote: Its ok. :) Well all i can say is, I think once everything is up and running and when the Smiler is eventually open we've all got something to look forward to.
Are you implying you know something ?  :|
bigstanny

ATfanatic wrote:
bigstanny wrote: Its ok. :) Well all i can say is, I think once everything is up and running and when the Smiler is eventually open we've all got something to look forward to.
Are you implying you know something ?  :|
No, Haha just saying in genaral we know that we are (Hopefully) Getting a world class coaster that will have been worth the wait. :D
tigzie1

Just going off on one and summarising we know of:

Lap bar restraints. (The sun newspaper)
5 Elements (Not sure how they fit in)
Has anyone thought the strobing lights could be featured right before your face in the headrest of the seating makign the strobing effects not only a little bright but also nearly blinding (Stage blinder style) this then wouldn't matter if it was daylight or dark.
PhNx Survivor

Guys, I've Just had a thought...

This is probably going to be wrong, and by God I hope it is xD but hear me out...

We now know the coaster is world beating as confirmed 14 Inversions... but it is also classed as a world first...
Now, judging by the trains in 'THE SUN' and other aspects of the train, you can hardly see it, either behind it, or below it, the picture with the women smiling with shoulder restraints can also go into this but...

Has there ever been a coaster with a vertical lift... Whilst standing?
This Would put a great amount of insanity into the ride, and if you think about it from AT' s point of view... Would be epic! But, I Do believe the G forces put on the rider will have an effect so that they're not standing, just a thought... What do you guys think?

EDIT: Also, I Do believe each inversion has been made a tad longer in duration... possibly so it's not uncomfortable? I Dunno.
Last edited by PhNx Survivor on Sat Mar 09, 2013 10:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“A surprise to be sure, but a welcome one”
xjame5x

Been to splash landings today and seen a lot of track and supports in the car park driving past and then when leaving a lot had been moved so in the next update can expect to see a lot of changes, whether that's with track being up or just on site idk, also I noticed some twisted bits if track with mechanical pieces running through the middle of them unfortunately didn't manage to get a picture but they did look odd  :shock: something to look out for if anyone is going there and has a camera handy
charlie0simister

Hi guys, first post here! has anyone thought of 'the flasher' being the on ride photo point? the flash of the cameras is very recognizable on rides such as Oblivion and Rita. Maybe this could be a possibility instead of strobes?

already been mentioned, i missed that  :shock: ignore me  :D
Last edited by charlie0simister on Sun Mar 10, 2013 2:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
Osaka12

charlie0simister wrote: Hi guys, first post here! has anyone thought of 'the flasher' being the on ride photo point? the flash of the cameras is very recognizable on rides such as Oblivion and Rita. Maybe this could be a possibility instead of strobes?

already been mentioned, i missed that  :shock: ignore me  :D
lol

Wecome to the forum though  :D
Liam-AltonTowers

Sorry I'm really confused, why exactly was the theme park open yesterday?

Credit to Lewis97, thanks for the amazing signature!
TomL

John Lewis hired it for their employees
owenjohn

Been reading the construction forum for a while now and this is my first post!,  for some reason I have it in my head that the first lift hill will have an inline twist half way up it! giving us 15 inversions!