The Smiler - Construction Discussion

Smile always. New for 2013.
MatthewR1990

Instant Mix wrote: The only problem with "the flasher" is that it won't be bright enough. Like, riders wouldn't notice it at all. There must be something built into the train to flash.
Have you ever seen strobe lighting? Believe me you would see it lmao.
West Bromwich Albion until I die! I bleed blue and white.
aldredd

The problem with the strobe idea is that it can trigger severe epileptic fits. Even if you have warnings, not everyone will know they have it / it's something that can only come to light later in life - and there isn't really going to be a worse place to have an epileptic fit than half way through a 14-inversion coaster!
DannyNewbro

aldredd wrote: The problem with the strobe idea is that it can trigger severe epileptic fits. Even if you have warnings, not everyone will know they have it / it's something that can only come to light later in life - and there isn't really going to be a worse place to have an epileptic fit than half way through a 14-inversion coaster!
Well what about Nemesis: Sub-Terra?
Javs

So long as the ride discloses the fact there are strobe lights on the ride information signs, it is not a problem.  However, the lights would be placed in such a position so as not to cause any harm to people not on the ride.  And yes, there are plenty of lights out there that will be very easy to see and very disorientating if used correctly!  Just think car headlights flashing.
PSxyz

DannyNewbro wrote:
aldredd wrote: The problem with the strobe idea is that it can trigger severe epileptic fits. Even if you have warnings, not everyone will know they have it / it's something that can only come to light later in life - and there isn't really going to be a worse place to have an epileptic fit than half way through a 14-inversion coaster!
Well what about Nemesis: Sub-Terra?
N-ST is nowhere near the same assault on your body, Strobes could be a little too much.
nickjmcarvalho

Sorry strobing only effects 1% of all people with epilepsy. So people that know that strobing affects there epilepsy would stay clear of the ride.
Last edited by nickjmcarvalho on Sat Mar 09, 2013 8:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
getothing

Today ?? Update please :)
If an inline twist, tower times team  would not hide ¡¡¡
i want to corrected now ¡
ethanthecoasterfreak

^ You're not very patient are you... Be grateful. Besides, good things come to those who wait.
Roodlesnouter

samtummo wrote: Long time lurker, first time poster.

A launch is also very unlikely for several reasons. Not only would this make the first part of the ride uncomfortable, it would be near impossible to run any type of duelling element.
Why would a launch up the first lift hill be uncomfortable and when has anything been confirmed that this will indeed be a dueling coaster? I know it has been tossed around but I was unaware of this being fact.
http://pixelsattheparks/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
ManiaMuse

getothing wrote: Today ?? Update please :)
Weather is miserable and grey in UK today. Poor visibility = helicopter can't fly.

Be patient. Besides, you'll see more has been completed if you wait longer.
getothing

Alton towers is open today ,people make some the smiler photos ¡
If an inline twist, tower times team  would not hide ¡¡¡
i want to corrected now ¡
epicV3N0M

Some good theming could be incorporated into the flasher- headlights turning on and off and something (e.g. smiler logo) moving closer with each flash?
For some things there is no rational explanation. There is no way out. *stares at EXIT sign*
Roodlesnouter

getothing wrote: Alton towers is open today ,people make some the smiler photos ¡
Not open until next week
http://pixelsattheparks/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Jevaaaans

roodlesnouter wrote:
getothing wrote: Alton towers is open today ,people make some the smiler photos ¡
Not open until next week
There's some John Lewis corporate thing on today. Two of my friends are going as their mum/sisters work at John Lewis
TomL

Yes. All the rides are open including Oblivion and The Sanctuary. I would expect AT to be treating this as a practice weekend for new workers. I know someone whos fiance works at john lewis, shes going all weekend staying at the hotel and going to the waterpark. Isn't the Scictly come dancing dancer thing going on today where they had a limit to how many tickets they sold. something like 600 or 6000. cant really remember
Danny

Mi7 won't be going up in the air today or tomorrow as snow is due tomorrow
Instant Mix

MatthewR1990 wrote:
Instant Mix wrote: The only problem with "the flasher" is that it won't be bright enough. Like, riders wouldn't notice it at all. There must be something built into the train to flash.
Have you ever seen strobe lighting in broad daylight? Not too sure. It'd be noticeable, but not have as much of a profound effect
simononestop

yeah not so good in daylight but if you strobed the lights at an object(theming) or near miss it might work. or with some smoke/mist it would probably work.
dazza4783

Instant Mix wrote:
MatthewR1990 wrote:
Have you ever seen strobe lighting in broad daylight? Not too sure. It'd be noticeable, but not have as much of a profound effect
If the tunnels in the plans are still going to feature then i assume the flasher will be in them, if not then the flash on it will be reminiscent of on-ride photo flashes, maybe the flasher will double as the on-ride photo.
Javs

Instant Mix wrote:
MatthewR1990 wrote:

Are you saying you never see the flashing of the on-ride cameras?  Think a multitude of those flashing in your face.