The Smiler - Construction Discussion

Smile always. New for 2013.
TomL

Ben-TT wrote:
spark wrote:
Evostance wrote: AT just posted another picture on Twitter, doesn't show much of construction though...

Looking to the left of the van in the corner, is that a new entrance to Oblivion or just a locker area of sorts?
I'm sure that caution logo does not normally reside there! Could that be some sly marketing?
What is telling about this picture is the new marks on Oblivion's newly painted track... There are wheel marks from the cars running. Hopefully it will be open on opening day!
whats all that steel and poles on the grass island? and are they footers for fences around the smiler's pit?
TomL

Posted by merlin an hour ago but I think it was taken at the same time aas the one AT released yestrtday. Image
Dan380

Which must both have taken on Monday or Tuesday... as I don't think Staffs has seen the sun since, let alone pure blue sky!
getothing

Tomorrow there will be an update? MI7 lets go please :)
If an inline twist, tower times team  would not hide ¡¡¡
i want to corrected now ¡
simononestop

whats the huge pole with the lights on in the second picture!!  its not in the first??

edit!!
ignor that i just spotted it in the first pict doh!!
Capt.Barnacles

tleady wrote: Posted by merlin an hour ago but I think it was taken at the same time aas the one AT released yestrtday. Image
What website can I find this picture on? It's showing as a small white box with a red 'X'.
Katherine

Buschgardensfan wrote:
tleady wrote: Posted by merlin an hour ago but I think it was taken at the same time aas the one AT released yestrtday. Image
What website can I find this picture on? It's showing as a small white box with a red 'X'.
Try right clicking the white box and "open in new tab/window" and it should load.
TomL

Kathy wrote:
Buschgardensfan wrote:
Try right clicking the white box and "open in new tab/window" and it should load.
If not, its from Merlins group fun days facebook page
bigstanny

Don't mean to be a buzzkill,  But I find it really annoying when updated pictures get re-quoted and it fills almost 2 pages of reading through. I'm sorry, Just find it quite repetitive. I appreciate that this is a construction topic, however seeing the same thing over and over and over (And yes I am greatful for all the updates) Is there a mutual way to resolve this without causing conflict?
MatthewR1990

bigstanny wrote: Don't mean to be a buzzkill,  But I find it really annoying when updated pictures get re-quoted and it fills almost 2 pages of reading through. I'm sorry, Just find it quite repetitive. I appreciate that this is a construction topic, however seeing the same thing over and over and over (And yes I am greatful for all the updates) Is there a mutual way to resolve this without causing conflict?

We could get picture links disabled in quotes by messaging Adz maybe? Have it change to the direct link of the image instead of actually showing the image?
Last edited by MatthewR1990 on Fri Mar 08, 2013 12:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
West Bromwich Albion until I die! I bleed blue and white.
Rollercoasters4Life

bigstanny wrote: Don't mean to be a buzzkill,  But I find it really annoying when updated pictures get re-quoted and it fills almost 2 pages of reading through. I'm sorry, Just find it quite repetitive. I appreciate that this is a construction topic, however seeing the same thing over and over and over (And yes I am greatful for all the updates) Is there a mutual way to resolve this without causing conflict?
As far as I'm aware, there are 15 comments per page no matter what is in the post (correct me if I am wrong). It just means more scrolling if there are multiple pictures. To be honest, it isn't that much of a problem, its just a little more scrolling. The only way to remedy your little problem is to somehow implement a thumbnail image of a quoted image instead of said, full sized image - I don't know if that can be implemented, but thats the only solution. Otherwise you are stuck I'm afraid.

Happy scrolling! :)

EDIT:
MatthewR1990 wrote: YEH, SHUT THE HELL UP!

Lolol I'm joking. We could get picture links disabled in quotes by messaging Adz maybe? Have it change to the direct link of the image instead of actually showing the image?
Disabling the images within quotes could work I suppose although I think it kind of takes away from what people maybe referring to when they quote said image/post which then causes others to have to open another tab just to view the picture they maybe talking about. Just more faffing about opening/closing windows instead of just staying on the same page and scrolling which is less efficient (lets face it, you will already be scrolling anyway). If people are quoting people and it has no relevance to the image they have quoted, then the person themselves should remove that part of the quote before posting - although that is in an ideal world.
Last edited by Rollercoasters4Life on Thu Mar 07, 2013 11:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AndreJD

Ooh if we're going meta there's nothing that looks more ungrateful and annoying as asking when the next update will be or demanding MI7 be up in the air soon. Updates come when they come, I'm sure nobody at TT are unaware of the hunger for aerial updates.

Out of interest, is there any logistical advantage/disadvantage to installing the lift hills last? In my head I imagined they'd be the first things to go up since there's machinery to them and it would be easier before there was anything else getting in the way. Particularly as the first lift hill will pretty quickly be blocked off from easy access quite soon.
MatthewR1990

AndreJD wrote: Ooh if we're going meta there's nothing that looks more ungrateful and annoying as asking when the next update will be or demanding MI7 be up in the air soon. Updates come when they come, I'm sure nobody at TT are unaware of the hunger for aerial updates.

Out of interest, is there any logistical advantage/disadvantage to installing the lift hills last? In my head I imagined they'd be the first things to go up since there's machinery to them and it would be easier before there was anything else getting in the way. Particularly as the first lift hill will pretty quickly be blocked off from easy access quite soon.
In this tightly compact space I can imagine it would help construction for them not to be up yet. Especially the first lift hill. Although once they have the trench concreted I can't imagine it would be much of a problem to add the vertical one pretty soon.
West Bromwich Albion until I die! I bleed blue and white.
Rollercoasters4Life

AndreJD wrote: Out of interest, is there any logistical advantage/disadvantage to installing the lift hills last? In my head I imagined they'd be the first things to go up since there's machinery to them and it would be easier before there was anything else getting in the way. Particularly as the first lift hill will pretty quickly be blocked off from easy access quite soon.
When I did my phase photo explaining how I think the ride will go in I pointed out that the lift hills maybe the last things to go in. Why? Simply, for five reasons:

1) There are no lift hill pieces on site (unless that has changed over the past few days).

2) The groundwork & reinforcement of the trench has yet to be complete for the vertical lift hill.

3) Priority would be to the rest of the track as I would of thought they would want it up so they can move the crane out of the way for when main season starts.

4) The crane can then lift the lift hills up into place via the access road to the left of the site (opposite side to where the general public will be).

5) The lift hill tracks can be done quicker than the middle section of the ride (less track pieces) and can be done when the park closes for the day once main season starts (thats if it isn't all done by then).
Last edited by Rollercoasters4Life on Fri Mar 08, 2013 12:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
Trisnie

Rollercoasters4Life wrote:
AndreJD wrote: Out of interest, is there any logistical advantage/disadvantage to installing the lift hills last? In my head I imagined they'd be the first things to go up since there's machinery to them and it would be easier before there was anything else getting in the way. Particularly as the first lift hill will pretty quickly be blocked off from easy access quite soon.
When I did my phase photo explaining how I think the ride will go in I pointed out that the lift hills maybe the last things to go in. Why? Simply, for five reasons:

1) There are no lift hill pieces on site (unless that has changed over the past few days).

2) The groundwork & reinforcement of the trench has yet to be complete for the vertical lift hill.

3) Priority would be to the rest of the track as I would of thought they would want it up so they can move the crane out of the way for when main season starts.

4) The crane can then lift the lift hills up into place via the access road to the left of the site (opposite side to where the general public will be).

5) The lift hill tracks can be done quicker than the middle section of the ride (less track pieces) and can be done when the park closes for the day once main season starts (thats if it isn't all done by then).
I could be wrong here so if I am the pls down't me down but with the amound of track been out up the track is going to move and shift a bit not really a problem fr track which in comparison can flex a bit the lift hills I suspect to be very rigid  and so they need to let the rest of the track shift in to place and  alter slightly which could Kent then ends been inches out as such it's easier to put the lift hills in place at the end.

Also we don't know what kind of lift it is and so it's all part of the AT game
Boz

I believe the Lift hills haven't been done yet, on account of the area around the toilets needing to be complete, before they could start excavating the trench for the vertical lift. Likewise the first lift can't go in yet, as they need to be able to get the relevant machinery, into the area at the top to in order excavate said trench.
Once the groundwork is complete at the top end of site, and there's no longer any need for diggers and such to access that area, we will see the first lift go up. It would just be an obstruction otherwise.
8)
samtummo

Long time lurker, first time poster.

It's been great fun viewing the construction updates provided by TT and following all the other tidbits of information across the web. Through all the ideas, speculation and gossip we have come along way from the days the plans were released to what looks like a superb coaster developing on the site.

I'm actually a little disappointed that there is no traditional 'drop' on The Smiler. I would of liked the two halves of the ride to start their journey through the inversions in different styles. I can only assume that both drops are inverted to add to the spectacle and conform to the specific timing it would take to get the coaster to self-dual.

My two cents worth in regards to a possible SE, is that we won't get one per se. The idea of a washing machine element will not happen. As previously explained TT 'knew' about the inversion record and at the time could not fathom where 6/7 extra inversions would come from - thus the idea of a washing machine element was put forward. A launch is also very unlikely for several reasons. Not only would this make the first part of the ride uncomfortable, it would be near impossible to run any type of duelling element. I would also say any 4D element on the cars themselves will not happen, I've no supporting evidence for this, but just think the level of maintenance required on any such cars would be detrimental to the smooth day-to-day operations.

My personal opinion would be that after the drop out of the station and the underground barrell roll, the car will move slowly through a room/chamber initiating the 5 Marmalisation elements that will later be triggered during the ride. Whilst this may not be the SE the enthusiasts desire, I think other areas of the ride outweigh the need for one. I mean lets not be fussy, this thing is going to break the inversion record, possibly have some of the most interesting duelling elements ever seen - all of which has been provided on a tiny footprint in major rollercoaster terms.

But who knows - further construction updates may provide even more suprises! TT, Boz and the team, I thank you for your continued aerial updates and look forward to the next with great interest.
Boz

welcome to TTF :wave:
Great first post, you've summed it all up perfectly IMO, and I agree with all your points.
simononestop

welcome.

yep spot on!
totally agree.
Phild94

samtummo wrote: Long time lurker, first time poster.

It's been great fun viewing the construction updates provided by TT and following all the other tidbits of information across the web. Through all the ideas, speculation and gossip we have come along way from the days the plans were released to what looks like a superb coaster developing on the site.

I'm actually a little disappointed that there is no traditional 'drop' on The Smiler. I would of liked the two halves of the ride to start their journey through the inversions in different styles. I can only assume that both drops are inverted to add to the spectacle and conform to the specific timing it would take to get the coaster to self-dual.

My two cents worth in regards to a possible SE, is that we won't get one per se. The idea of a washing machine element will not happen. As previously explained TT 'knew' about the inversion record and at the time could not fathom where 6/7 extra inversions would come from - thus the idea of a washing machine element was put forward. A launch is also very unlikely for several reasons. Not only would this make the first part of the ride uncomfortable, it would be near impossible to run any type of duelling element. I would also say any 4D element on the cars themselves will not happen, I've no supporting evidence for this, but just think the level of maintenance required on any such cars would be detrimental to the smooth day-to-day operations.

My personal opinion would be that after the drop out of the station and the underground barrell roll, the car will move slowly through a room/chamber initiating the 5 Marmalisation elements that will later be triggered during the ride. Whilst this may not be the SE the enthusiasts desire, I think other areas of the ride outweigh the need for one. I mean lets not be fussy, this thing is going to break the inversion record, possibly have some of the most interesting duelling elements ever seen - all of which has been provided on a tiny footprint in major rollercoaster terms.

But who knows - further construction updates may provide even more suprises! TT, Boz and the team, I thank you for your continued aerial updates and look forward to the next with great interest.
I have to say first time posters always do seem to hit the nail on the head...

I have to say 4D effects seem a little cliche to me.... I really hate the leg "ticklers" on N:ST they just whip the back of your legs and uncomfortable at the best of times ... let alone whilst hurtling on a self dueling roller coaster at 50km/h around 14 inversions of pure insanity

I think i possibly disagree with is that maybe not having a launch but possibly not a standard chain lift either..... maybe a controlled launch all the way up the lift hill LIMs at a constant speed up the hill (silent lift hill with a controllable outcome speed)

Would love to see a construction update either today or tomorrow but whenever it does come I'm sure we will see another inversion or 2 :D..... Hope we hear from you soon MI7

P.S 1 final point.... Thanks to all the TT team for such fantastic updates and well done to AT for keeping us in the dark for so long, I honestly believe this could be the best all out coaster in Europe possibly even the world :D

Credit to Lewis97 for the fantastic signature :D