The Smiler - Construction Discussion

Smile always. New for 2013.
spark

Evostance wrote: AT just posted another picture on Twitter, doesn't show much of construction though...

Looking to the left of the van in the corner, is that a new entrance to Oblivion or just a locker area of sorts?
I'm sure that caution logo does not normally reside there! Could that be some sly marketing?
gaz1313

tleady wrote:
sully1311 wrote:
Wildboy wrote: if you can only see it from the top of oblivion for 3 seconds then whats the problem?
Enthusiasts being enthusiasts.
Alton Towers sorta have to do it... otherwise they would get no money from fanta to build the smiler...
Wouldn't put too much money on anything substantial from Fanta going into this project to be honest.

The Smiler In Association With Fanta  :shock:
PhNx Survivor

If I'm honest, I don't think that picture was taken today, maybe it was forgotten to be put up, but yesterday you could clearly see them lifting the "Fanta" sign up and off the roof... Only time will tell, hope it's changed, and I think we'll see a lot changed next update :D
“A surprise to be sure, but a welcome one”
daboywunda

Just posted this on the Speculation forum:

So... I'm going away in May for 6 months and I've just renewed my Annual Pass over the phone. I happened to ask whether the agent knew when The Smiler would be open to see whether I'd miss the opening and have to ride it when I come home in October instead. The response was "no official date set for May yet" When asked if this meant that it could be towards the end of May the response was "potentially May Bank Holiday but they aren't ruling out a June opening, we just don't know"

Make of that what you will.
CoasterCrazyChris

gaz1313 wrote:
tleady wrote:
sully1311 wrote: Enthusiasts being enthusiasts.
Alton Towers sorta have to do it... otherwise they would get no money from fanta to build the smiler...
Wouldn't put too much money on anything substantial from Fanta going into this project to be honest.

I wish Alton Towers still had a contract with Cadbury's because then they could get Twirl to sponsor The Smiler. That would be a fitting sponsorship if any.
Deejay

CoasterCrazyChris wrote:
gaz1313 wrote:
tleady wrote: Alton Towers sorta have to do it... otherwise they would get no money from fanta to build the smiler...

I wish Alton Towers still had a contract with Cadbury's because then they could get Twirl to sponsor The Smiler. That would be a fitting sponsorship if any.

Isn't Air sponsored by Cadbury's Heroes?
TheInactiveMoth

daboywunda wrote: they aren't ruling out a June opening, we just don't know"

Make of that what you will.
Surely not! If they keep up construction at this rate, I doubt it, but you never know... :?
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade

Noah the carnivorous botanist - Arsenal 'til I die!
Chaz

DeeJayUK wrote:
CoasterCrazyChris wrote:
gaz1313 wrote: Wouldn't put too much money on anything substantial from Fanta going into this project to be honest.

Isn't Air sponsored by Cadbury's Heroes?
In 2002 when it opened yes, and for a few seasons after I believe. But the sponsorship deal isn't in place anymore and I assume all traces of it have been removed, although you never know, there may be the odd piece still lying around somewhere.
1ne, 2wo, 3hree, 4our, 5ive, 6ix, se7en, ei8ht, 9ine, t10n, e11even, tw12ve, th13teen

www.facebook.com/charliemarsh7
ADM182

I'm not fussed if it opens in May or June but I'd rather they made sure the surrounding area was well themed.
It would be a real shame if the ride is done but they slap dash the queue lines and additional theming to open a couple of weeks sooner.

Allthough, if it does open in June, the people who went in May thinking it would be open would surley come back again, repeat visitors = more profit = SW8!?
Mattfat1

ADM182 wrote:
Allthough, if it does open in June, the people who went in May thinking it would be open would surley come back again, repeat visitors = more profit = SW8!?
Wow I'm never coming to your Theme Park, it will have only 1 huge ride that never gets finished ;)
clayj

spark wrote:
Evostance wrote: AT just posted another picture on Twitter, doesn't show much of construction though...

Looking to the left of the van in the corner, is that a new entrance to Oblivion or just a locker area of sorts?
I'm sure that caution logo does not normally reside there! Could that be some sly marketing?
Nope, more then likely health an safety waning as there's an immediate drop for anyone working up there
[align=center]Image

ɹǝןıɯs ǝɥʇ[/align]
JayTricky

You can see the cement truck there, and track ready to be lifted into place.

I'm predicting even more construction in the next update.  Probably another inversion!
Phild94

JayTricky wrote: You can see the cement truck there, and track ready to be lifted into place.

I'm predicting even more construction in the next update.  Probably another inversion!
By what we know from plans etc etc i don't think they can put any track in place which isn't inversion because there isn't anything else to put in (other than lift hill) XD

Credit to Lewis97 for the fantastic signature :D
JayTricky

Phild94 wrote:
JayTricky wrote: You can see the cement truck there, and track ready to be lifted into place.

By what we know from plans etc etc i don't think they can put any track in place which isn't inversion because there isn't anything else to put in (other than lift hill) XD
We do have the two bunny hops, remember. Which I eagerly anticipate and hope that they're steep enough to give us some airtime ! 8)
Phild94

JayTricky wrote:
Phild94 wrote:

We do have the two bunny hops, remember. Which I eagerly anticipate and hope that they're steep enough to give us some airtime ! 8)
True... True, however it doesn't matter if they are 40 or 60 degrees because they'll probably trim away the fun anyway :/

DannyNewbro

Has nobody noticed that they've removed all the grass from where the news reporter van themeing will be? Looks like they're shaping that area up too, I highly doubt they'd put the van there now since the place is so dirty in construction...
Phild94

DannyNewbro wrote: Has nobody noticed that they've removed all the grass from where the news reporter van themeing will be? Looks like they're shaping that area up too, I highly doubt they'd put the van there now since the place is so dirty in construction...
They'll just drive the van up the day before opening IMO, why bother before?

EDIT: Just out of curiosity.... is the van under the blue tarpaulin still sitting in the car park wherever it was before? (construction pics 23rd December)
Last edited by Phild94 on Thu Mar 07, 2013 12:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dylan.tempelaars

is there any construction updates lately over the web?
some people call me insane, you are right!
Trisnie

clayj wrote:
spark wrote:

Nope, more then likely health an safety waning as there's an immediate drop for anyone working up there
Just in case they miss it?

As bad as this superman outfit

Ben-TT

spark wrote:

What is telling about this picture is the new marks on Oblivion's newly painted track... There are wheel marks from the cars running. Hopefully it will be open on opening day!