The Smiler - Construction Discussion

Smile always. New for 2013.
Joshysqaushy

Hari wrote:
danwhit709 wrote:
ollboll9 wrote: http://www.towerstimes.co.uk/sw7/wp-con ... C_0016.JPG
Look at them supports infront of the crain there insane :shock: :shock: :shock: There like mine on rct3
Has anyone else spotted another random straight piece of bi-rail track just to the right of the exit of the barrel roll?..
And have you also noticed a sensor on that piece of track! :O Maybe something to do with the SW! :D
i imagine its something to do with the marmiliser, maybe after the car goes over the sensor the marmiliser gets ready to set its effect off as the car goes past????  :D
DONCASTER ADVENTURE PARKS NEW COASTER
TRAILER:
UPDATES: http://forum.towerstimes.co.uk/viewtopi ... 8&start=40
Hari

Joshysqaushy wrote:
Hari wrote:
danwhit709 wrote: Has anyone else spotted another random straight piece of bi-rail track just to the right of the exit of the barrel roll?..
And have you also noticed a sensor on that piece of track! :O Maybe something to do with the SW! :D
i imagine its something to do with the marmiliser, maybe after the car goes over the sensor the marmiliser gets ready to set its effect off as the car goes past????  :D
But it is straight. The track next to the marmaliser is all bendy. Not straight!
NR
Joshysqaushy

i thought you were talking about on the sea serpent :P
DONCASTER ADVENTURE PARKS NEW COASTER
TRAILER:
UPDATES: http://forum.towerstimes.co.uk/viewtopi ... 8&start=40
dazza4783

danwhit709 wrote:
ollboll9 wrote: http://www.towerstimes.co.uk/sw7/wp-con ... C_0016.JPG
Look at them supports infront of the crain there insane :shock: :shock: :shock: There like mine on rct3
Has anyone else spotted another random straight piece of bi-rail track just to the right of the exit of the barrel roll?..
I think that is the mysterious piece that was down in the pit for a while. Looks like they've moved it ready to be put in place, but where is it going? In the maintenance shed maybe?
Roodlesnouter

NutterFrutter wrote: Seeing as there are going to be 4 trains on the track at any one time is it not possible the sensors are just to detect when a train passes over them to ensure all trains maintain a safe distance (by being dispatched appropriately)?
Their will be trims on the air time hills, hence the sensor.
http://pixelsattheparks/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
LaurenceColes

dazza4783 wrote: I think that is the mysterious piece that was down in the pit for a while. Looks like they've moved it ready to be put in place, but where is it going? In the maintenance shed maybe?
I agree, I also think its the piece that was lurking down in the pit. Tbh I think if it was going into the maintenance shed it would have some kind of manual holding brake or something, but this looks very plain... Although it does have a small green sensor looking thing on it...?

The small supports it is sitting on do not look permanent at all, well not strong enough to hold the weight of a train plus people... As I said before maybe it is a gauge of some kind ? A small piece of track for reference if you like?
martin.taylor.946

Issued: Weather Warning [BBC] :|

http://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/2635167#extra-uk-content

Thursday 21 March Published at 18:18

UK Warnings

Weather Warning

Thursday 21st March

AMBER WARNING OF SNOW for NE Wales and NW Midlands.

A band of heavy rain spreading northwards across the UK will turn increasingly to snow from the early hours of Friday morning, with some heavy and persistent snowfall likely to develop during Friday. High ground may see now accumulations of 20-40 cm in places, with drifting and blizzard conditions due to the strong to gale force southeasterly winds. At lower levels, there is a chance that parts of the north Midlands, north east Wales and north west England may see 10-15 cm of snow.

The public should be aware of the potential for severe disruption, particularly to transport and to power supplies during Friday morning. Further snow is expected later on Friday - for which a Yellow warning has been issued.

Valid from 0005 to 1400 Friday.

The original warning may be found here [Met Office]:

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/public/weather/warnings/#?tab=warnings&regionName=em
Last edited by martin.taylor.946 on Thu Mar 21, 2013 6:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
altontowerskid

There do seem to be sensors on many of the track pieces, but that's only understandable seeing as they will be needed for the marmaliser's effects, trim brakes, block breaks and for feeding information back to the operator console :)

And that weather is not looking good for construction!! :( Although I still think they have plenty of time to get the ride finished before the end of May :)
Capt.Barnacles

Dammit those pictures up there I cannot see and I really want to. Stupid web filter. Before anyone says to unblock it I can't do it myself. Is it possible anyone could save the images and upload them via something other than Facebook? It would be massively appreciated!
Phild94

Buschgardensfan wrote: Dammit those pictures up there I cannot see and I really want to. Stupid web filter. Before anyone says to unblock it I can't do it myself. Is it possible anyone could save the images and upload them via something other than Facebook? It would be massively appreciated!
Sorry for everyone else about the repost but hey i dont mind looking at them a little more :D

Credit to Lewis97 for the fantastic signature :D
Hitch

Would snow slow them down that much anyway now, All the footers are pretty much good to go  8)
118hazaman

NutterFrutter wrote: Seeing as there are going to be 4 trains on the track at any one time is it not possible the sensors are just to detect when a train passes over them to ensure all trains maintain a safe distance (by being dispatched appropriately)?
How do you know there is going to be 4 cars on the track at the same time? Is this a guess, or actaul information?
LaurenceColes

118hazaman wrote:
How do you know there is going to be 4 cars on the track at the same time? Is this a guess, or actaul information?
Look at the location of the block brakes... Can only have one train in between each set of block brakes for safety
JaykeAT

There are definitely 4 trains
Roodlesnouter

Been on park for a few hours after work today, work is really moving at pace now. Much has been done since the weekend and I saw a support and 2 pieces of track go up in an hour.

Before I post the pics (Sorry only mobile,I  for got to put my battery in the DSLR  :ashamed:) I have a few bits of info. I can't say where I got it, some of it may be known already and I cannot confirm it 100% true, although I do trust the source. believe it if you wish. 

1. We have 2 time lapse videos, 1 on top of Fried Chicken 1 on top of Oblivions Q tower, these can be seen.
2. Track is due to be complete a week on Sunday, 31st March.
3. They are now working nights, minimum noise to be made but electrics, ground work etc is happening deep into the night.
4. The pics of Smiler uniform shown earlier will be the ride staffs uniform. I have pics.
5. The cars will be amazing, couldn't push them any more on this, I tried.  It is NOT a euro fighter.
6. The lift hills are ready assembled and ready to go, they are currently in a field approx 8 miles away.
7. The Queue line will be intence and we will have a pre show.
8. As well as the chopped toilet roof mistake, an actual footer was placed wrong. Photo below.
9. Staff rides due to start early May with softs not long after.
10. A full press release is imminent.
11. It was indeed a late edition, SW7 was planned for air car park but B&M not ready.
12 3 reasons for delay
      a. weather, and they had to keep pumping out the pit due to burst pipe.
      b. Limestone was found at the top end of site and wasnt expected. Took longer to dig out.
      c. They hit Blivvys foundations when digging out the pit.

Again A lot of the above may or may not be true and I have read between the lines on a lot of it, So please take it with a pinch of salt if you wish not to believe it.

Photos to follow
http://pixelsattheparks/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
JaykeAT

roodlesnouter wrote:
11. It was indeed a late edition, SW7 was planned for air car park but B&M not ready.
This was always rumored due to the nature of the way planning was sent,so I wouldn't be surprised if this was true
Hmv

Number 6 seems a bit weird, yes the lift hills are probably assembled but why are they in a field 8 miles away??? Surely they'd be kept inside as long as possible, they could even be on site at AT hidden away  :roll:
AltonTowerfanatic

roodlesnouter wrote: Been on park for a few hours after work today, work is really moving at pace now. Much has been done since the weekend and I saw a support and 2 pieces of track go up in an hour.

Before I post the pics (Sorry only mobile,I  for got to put my battery in the DSLR  :ashamed:) I have a few bits of info. I can't say where I got it, some of it may be known already and I cannot confirm it 100% true, although I do trust the source. believe it if you wish. 

1. We have 2 time lapse videos, 1 on top of Fried Chicken 1 on top of Oblivions Q tower, these can be seen.
2. Track is due to be complete a week on Sunday, 31st March.
3. They are now working nights, minimum noise to be made but electrics, ground work etc is happening deep into the night.
4. The pics of Smiler uniform shown earlier will be the ride staffs uniform. I have pics.
5. The cars will be amazing, couldn't push them any more on this, I tried.  It is NOT a euro fighter.
6. The lift hills are ready assembled and ready to go, they are currently in a field approx 8 miles away.
8. As well as the chopped toilet roof mistake, an actual footer was placed wrong. Photo below.
10. A full press release is imminent.
12 3 reasons for delay
      a. weather, and they had to keep pumping out the pit due to burst pipe.
      b. Limestone was found at the top end of site and wasnt expected. Took longer to dig out.
      c. They hit Blivvys foundations when digging out the pit.

Again A lot of the above may or may not be true and I have read between the lines on a lot of it, So please take it with a pinch of salt if you wish not to believe it.

Photos to follow

Thank you soooo much!!!
I'm ready to Smile!
Deejay

roodlesnouter wrote: 5. The cars will be amazing, couldn't push them any more on this, I tried.  It is NOT a euro fighter.
The contact I have within the higher ranks has said similar info about point 5 and the pre show bit in point 7! I also believe that our 15th inversion will be a single rotation. Also it was said to me that UK H&S dictates that this ride has OTSR's even tho hearing it from this person doesn't stop me holding out hope for lap bars.

Construction is moving along very fast now. It's amazing that were around a week away from having a complete rollercoaster! Not sure about the lift hills being constructed already as some pictures over the last few days have shown parts laying around that look like lift hills and catwalks etc.
Jevaaaans

I know it's pretty off topic but is this source basically telling us the next SW (whether keeping the same codename or not) will be a new B&M? That's exciting :D

These tidbits of information are really intreging on the most part aren't they!