The Smiler - Construction Discussion

Smile always. New for 2013.
JayJay90

ry1996 wrote: I think that part of track closest to the picture is not part of the sea serpent roll which has its dive loop further along into the area dug out, that part of track closest thats up is actually for the other dive loop.
It is most definately part of the sea serpent because the 2 dive loops interlock over the middle of the sea serpent and on the plans you can see that the trench for the sea serpent is on the outer side of the coaster :)
obliviben

Construction is really coming along nicely now :D one thing that has annoyed me slightly though is how damaged some of the paint work is already and it's not even open yet... spots of rust, scratches and dirt can be seen on a fair amount of the track! Although the dirt will come off it is still a great shame to see  :( I put this down to the track being left outside and moved about for so long due to the constuction delay, but on a more positive note the delay means we are able to see the coaster develop daily near it's end stages! Something we wouldnt usually get to see due to closed season, roll on May  :D
Rollercoasters4Life

Posted at about 10 this morning:

More safety barriers going in:

New Smiler uniforms:

Another track piece being put up (@ about 12PM)

Making sure them bolts are tight!:

Another piece being lifted into place (about 12PM):

Sensor on the track - interesting:

And a Panorama image for you:

All images taken from The Alton Towers Guide Facebook page.
Phild94

Hate to be the bearer of bad news but i think work may grind to a half over the next few days with the prediction of ~20cm of snow across the midlands :/ I've had to cancel going because of it :/ will be going ASAP though :/

Credit to Lewis97 for the fantastic signature :D
Deejay

So is that the first Dive loop completed i see and the sea serpent nearly done too! I wanna see lift construction next, thats normally one of the first bits done! The uniforms are quality! I want one of those gilets! :D
JayJay90

Phild94 wrote: Hate to be the bearer of bad news but i think work may grind to a half over the next few days with the prediction of ~20cm of snow across the midlands :/ I've had to cancel going because of it :/ will be going ASAP though :/
Meh, I wouldn't think so, we've had these weather warnings a few times now and they've only given a flurry really. I don't think it is enough to halt work at all, especially as the majority of ground work has been done and footers prepared. I'd say the only thing that would halt, if the worst happened, would be the top ground work they're doing up by the toilet block but even then they could work on the station building as thats now covered :)

Nice pics and cheers for posting them on here whoever took them and such. I'm guessing the sensors are for the marmaliser :)
Jack

Phild94 wrote: Hate to be the bearer of bad news but i think work may grind to a half over the next few days with the prediction of ~20cm of snow across the midlands :/
I think you mean possible bad news, not definite
altontowerskid

jackandylan123 wrote:
Phild94 wrote: Hate to be the bearer of bad news but i think work may grind to a half over the next few days with the prediction of ~20cm of snow across the midlands :/
I think you mean possible bad news, not definite
Well he did specify "work may grind to a halt"... and I think they could take a small knock back. Looking at the construction however, it has been very fast over the past couple of weeks and could easily be completed on time for late May :)

The support work is very interesting. People may disagree, but I do feel it has been rushed. All of you saying "it has been done like that for a reason", I see your point but on the other hand, from the ground space available, they could have may a neater job of it. Possibly they weren't looking for neat? It is The Smiler after all :)
danwhit709

ollboll9 wrote: http://www.towerstimes.co.uk/sw7/wp-con ... C_0016.JPG
Look at them supports infront of the crain there insane :shock: :shock: :shock: There like mine on rct3
Has anyone else spotted another random straight piece of bi-rail track just to the right of the exit of the barrel roll?..
TomL

danwhit709 wrote:
Look at them supports infront of the crain there insane :shock: :shock: :shock: There like mine on rct3
Has anyone else spotted another random straight piece of bi-rail track just to the right of the exit of the barrel roll?..
I think thats the transfer track
Boz

it's actually the maintenance bay track I think
LaurenceColes

altontowerskid wrote: The support work is very interesting. People may disagree, but I do feel it has been rushed. All of you saying "it has been done like that for a reason", I see your point but on the other hand, from the ground space available, they could have may a neater job of it. Possibly they weren't looking for neat? It is The Smiler after all :)
Like I said before the supports do look a bit messy I agree, almost a bit rushed but maybe they want everything to not quite look right and for them to not be symmetrical etc... It does add to the mad twisted mess of track and steel that is the SMILER!!! :D

As for the random piece of straight bi-rail track, that's been moved around the construction site since they put on the Knot! If you look at some of the earlier photos you can see it in the pit! I have no idea why they brought it on site at this stage if its only going to be moved round all the time!

Unless they are using it as a gauge for construction or lifting ?  But I cant thing why they would need this ?
Liam B

uniforms looks a little like the ones they used for oblivion security guards except yellow! :D
Instant Mix

Not too keen on those ronald mcdonald uniforms, but we'll have to wait and see if their acting makes up for it.
Tom

Rollercoasters4Life wrote: Posted at about 10 this morning:
Another piece being lifted into place (about 12PM):

All images taken from The Alton Towers Guide Facebook page.
That's got to be the only straight piece of tri rail track on the entire coaster!  :P
Sam198

Phwoar! :P

Image credited to roodlesnouter of this forum...

And there's lots more track to go in, too! 8)
Hari

Could anyone estimate the opening time for me? By date? Im going on the 26th-27th May and I will cry if its not open. Literally.
NR
Danny

Just underneath the diving loop there's two other pieces of track that I would expect to be put up today, looks like its the banked turn after the last twist leading to the brake run
Hari

danwhit709 wrote:
And have you also noticed a sensor on that piece of track! :O Maybe something to do with the SW! :D
NR
NutterFrutter

Seeing as there are going to be 4 trains on the track at any one time is it not possible the sensors are just to detect when a train passes over them to ensure all trains maintain a safe distance (by being dispatched appropriately)?