The Smiler - Construction Discussion

Smile always. New for 2013.
Hitch

We need some lift hill action here, come on alton towers  8)
PhNx Survivor

Lead Piping wrote: More updates direct from jayjay90!

You can clearly see ground is now becoming level at top area... meaning it's setting... meaning... lift hill construction will start pretty soon :) Hopefully by the end of the week we'll be able to see steelwork erecting, and possibly some track ;)
“A surprise to be sure, but a welcome one”
LPAJ13

Probs last update from Jayjay90 for today but... lets move to the car park? ;)

Its not what ya take out that works, its what you put in that makes it work
youarecorrectsir

You know, I look at these construction photos every day and get excited about seeing the progress. I've realised it's easy to forget how much has happened since you're only noticing a small change at a time. Has anyone just taken a step back, looked at the photos and considered the scale of this thing?!

I just looked at Jay's photos and laughed... it looks like 3 coasters all in the same photo - this thing is HUGE! SO excited, love it :)
[align=center]"Everybody dies, but not everybody lives"[/align]
Ar128

youarecorrectsir wrote: You know, I look at these construction photos every day and get excited about seeing the progress. I've realised it's easy to forget how much has happened since you're only noticing a small change at a time. Has anyone just taken a step back, looked at the photos and considered the scale of this thing?!

I just looked at Jay's photos and laughed... it looks like 3 coasters all in the same photo - this thing is HUGE! SO excited, love it :)
I agree, loads has happened and it's massive!!!!!! Very impressive!!! I just hope it opens by May!!!
Smile!!
JayJay90

Hey gang. Just got back from Alton towers and tere are some more pics from today so ill sort them from when I get in about 8 as I'm just at my parents.

It's incredible seeing it in person and from a different perspective. To me, it doesn't seem like a mass of over powering steel from the ground, it just looks perfect. The scale is insane and I didn't believe anyone about that until I got there.

The sheer speed of progress is great, tracks and supports were all being put in place and at the same time most workers seemed to be pouring concrete in the maintainance area and on the station, there's now what looke like wooden frames inside the station which I'm guessing is for walls. There was also like 5 workers underneath the final break run working on something. Diggers continued on the top of the site ... Digging lol and on sonic you can see all the dirt being moved and tractors.

Also in the car park there are lots of straight pieces with wheels on and there are also lots of curved track with electrics on so I'm hoping they're not for the Bunny hops lol. Also in the car park at 5 they were transporting about 6 supports to the site

Edit: thank you to the guys who uploaded my pics from twitter to here :)

Last edited by JayJay90 on Tue Mar 19, 2013 6:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ilyAlton

I'd rather the ride be as good as it can be before they release it, wouldn't want it like th13teen which still has the scaffolding up..

ooft.
Joshysqaushy

ilyAlton wrote: wouldn't want it like th13teen which still has the scaffolding up..
that's part of th13teens theming...  :roll:
DONCASTER ADVENTURE PARKS NEW COASTER
TRAILER:
UPDATES: http://forum.towerstimes.co.uk/viewtopi ... 8&start=40
Jack

Joshysqaushy wrote:
ilyAlton wrote: wouldn't want it like th13teen which still has the scaffolding up..
try to think of it as a joke...
ilyAlton

Joshysqaushy wrote:
Joke dude.
Joshysqaushy

I did not find your joke amusing  :twisted:
DONCASTER ADVENTURE PARKS NEW COASTER
TRAILER:
UPDATES: http://forum.towerstimes.co.uk/viewtopi ... 8&start=40
Boz

And I didn't find the lack of staying on topic amusing ;) get back on it peeps 8)
Capt.Barnacles

So what do we reckon is going up next? We've got the first quarter of both the dive loops (can we please stop calling them Immelmanns!) and the Sea serpent roll. Lift hill? Bunny hills? Or the rest of the double dive loops/sea serpent roll?
LaurenceColes

schmatt wrote: The supports for this thing get more and more crazy.
I agree from the pictures the supports look nuts! I'm sure there are reason for having them in the places they are, but tbh it kinda looks like they just pressed a random support generator to place them haha

If you look at the newly constructed track and supports in the foreground!

I know there will be reasons for this, but looks mad!

Also Thanks JayJay90 for the great photos!
JayJay90

LaurenceColes wrote:
schmatt wrote: The supports for this thing get more and more crazy.
I agree from the pictures the supports look nuts! I'm sure there are reason for having them in the places they are, but tbh it kinda looks like they just pressed a random support generator to place them haha

If you look at the newly constructed track and supports in the foreground!

I know there will be reasons for this, but looks mad!

Also Thanks JayJay90 for the great photos!
No problem at all. I just could not keep away! My sister on the other hand was sick of being dragged back every 2 hours lol I have got some more pics but one that was far away. There was one straight piece of track with green parts on it (I'm no technical whizz with these things) and a curved piece of track with like one long silver metal strip running down one side and a shorter one next to it (can be seen in the image of track just above the green straight piece). I'm guessing these are for the bunny hops and could be trims? There were a few of them. There's lots of what looked to me like vertical lift supports but I'm not sure what they are.

bealyboy

When do we think they will construct the whole marmaliser? Surely if they are going to do it last they would have kept the head off site.
SMILE.ALWAYS
getothing

This track is similar to intamin track?
If an inline twist, tower times team  would not hide ¡¡¡
i want to corrected now ¡
Capt.Barnacles

Yes. I noticed this ago. The three most easily recognised track styles are used by two companies. Triangular track is used by Gerstlauer and Intamin, Box spine by B&M and (the now defunct) Giovanola, and two rail staple like track is Vekoma and (the now defunct) Arrow Dynamics.
youarecorrectsir

JayJay90 wrote:
No problem at all. I just could not keep away! My sister on the other hand was sick of being dragged back every 2 hours lol I have got some more pics but one that was far away. There was one straight piece of track with green parts on it (I'm no technical whizz with these things) and a curved piece of track with like one long silver metal strip running down one side and a shorter one next to it (can be seen in the image of track just above the green straight piece). I'm guessing these are for the bunny hops and could be trims? There were a few of them. There's lots of what looked to me like vertical lift supports but I'm not sure what they are.

Unless I am mistaken the small silver patches as seen in the 2nd photo could well be on ride photography sensors. As for the green track I'm not entirely sure but they could well be sensors also... perhaps for the marmaliser?
[align=center]"Everybody dies, but not everybody lives"[/align]
Hitch

Buschgardensfan wrote: Yes. I noticed this ago. The three most easily recognised track styles are used by two companies. Triangular track is used by Gerstlauer and Intamin, Box spine by B&M and (the now defunct) Giovanola, and two rail staple like track is Vekoma and (the now defunct) Arrow Dynamics.
The Smiler makes Rita look really old.