The Smiler - Construction Discussion

Smile always. New for 2013.
Dormiens-Dave

Because Alton Towers never take a building down unless its part of another project, if they had taken the black-hole tent down they would then have had 7 years of a clear view in that part of the skyline and planning permission would almost certainly have been turned down for SW7. Because they left it up they can class it as a replacement rather than a new structure and planning is easier.

Its also why they haven't taken down Beastie as it will be easier to get a new kiddy coaster on park if they claim its a replacement.
CoasterCrazyChris

^Although let's face it, who would object to a kiddie coaster?!

:P
Dormiens-Dave

True but they don't have to use Beastie as a bargain for a kiddy coaster, it just looks better on plan when they say it is a replacement. Hence why that building opposite Spinball that appears to be rotting away (just on the edge of the lawns) has never gone, yet now its been sacrificed to help gain planning for SW7 even though it isn't anywhere near the site (it is believed to be the mentioned fast-food outlet in the application)
James

To add to the above another reasoning to the tent having been left there for years is because Alton Towers have always been revising new concepts and ideas to utilise the space since the closure of the Black Hole in 2005. There have been ideas to use the tent in the past for new potential attractions and plans to remove it and add a new ride - and space in the tent was used for Scarefest last year. Obviously SW7 is the one plan that has come through.

There's never really been a need to get rid of the tent in the past when it's structurally safe. The time has now come to bid farewell to the tent, quite an iconic structure in Alton Towers history. So it'll be weird to see X-Sector without it. 
SubGuru

This is quite a big time for Alton I would say. The corkscrew left a couple of years back, and now the black hole tent has gone. Even though the coaster left many years back, the black hole tent is one of the lasting features of the old, old Alton Towers (pre nemesis-era). Its fascinating when you look back/think back at the development of the park!
Just chilling, waiting for the right moment...
CoasterCrazyChris

You know what, I don't think any other theme park in the world has so many past rides/attractions/shows as Alton Towers.
Themeparksandy1981

Dormiens-Dave wrote: Because Alton Towers never take a building down unless its part of another project, if they had taken the black-hole tent down they would then have had 7 years of a clear view in that part of the skyline and planning permission would almost certainly have been turned down for SW7. Because they left it up they can class it as a replacement rather than a new structure and planning is easier.

Its also why they haven't taken down Beastie as it will be easier to get a new kiddy coaster on park if they claim its a replacement.
If that's the case with Beastie why did they remove the Alton beast in 1997 3 years before they started to build Air.

The cover that there taking off are they taking it off piece by piece as I'm thinking that there gonna sell that tent. Would be good to be used as a entertainment venue.
DannyNewbro

Yeah that sounds cool, like a dome could be used somewhere in the Towers as like an entertainment dome or a place to eat food as a dome restaurant
PeteB

Themeparksandy1981 wrote: The cover that there taking off are they taking it off piece by piece as I'm thinking that there gonna sell that tent. Would be good to be used as a entertainment venue.
Most likely, or they'll keep it and use it somewhere else, even if only a portion of it.

I can never understand these people who say things like "the tent is knackered" - its basically just a huge marquee, consisting of stainless steel supports and a waterproof lining.  What exactly is there to be knackered about it? If the lining has seen better days I doubt it would be very expensive to get new pieces cut, its the steel frame that will be worth something.
Blaze

Themeparksandy1981 wrote:
Dormiens-Dave wrote: Because Alton Towers never take a building down unless its part of another project, if they had taken the black-hole tent down they would then have had 7 years of a clear view in that part of the skyline and planning permission would almost certainly have been turned down for SW7. Because they left it up they can class it as a replacement rather than a new structure and planning is easier.

If that's the case with Beastie why did they remove the Alton beast in 1997 3 years before they started to build Air.

The cover that there taking off are they taking it off piece by piece as I'm thinking that there gonna sell that tent. Would be good to be used as a entertainment venue.
Air was originally intended for 1998, but was delayed.

:)
djtruefitt

Not the best photo as it was taken on my phone in a wet and cold X sector yesterday:
SpinballEdders

Another photo from Theme Park Guide

Anyone notice the Green and Yellow pattern on the inside?
djtruefitt

Of course the best view of this construction is on Oblivion. I was certainly more interested in looking at the black hole site rather than the Oblivion hole :P
Chubba

Place your bets on which part of SW7 will be made using the BH frame or canvas! :lol:
Dormiens-Dave

Themeparksandy1981 wrote: If that's the case with Beastie why did they remove the Alton beast in 1997 3 years before they started to build Air.

Air is in an area of the park they will never struggle to get planning permission for and its harder to hide a huge rollercoaster than a small one and they don't want something looking obviously closed.
Coasteraddict

Blaze wrote:Air was originally intended for 1998, but was delayed.

:)
I thought Beastie was on the spot of where NST now lies?  :?

EDIT: NVM I was getting Thunderlooper orientated the wrong way around.

I can't wait till we start seeing the digger ripping into the hill side.
Last edited by Coasteraddict on Sun Apr 22, 2012 10:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dormiens-Dave

Beastie was on Sub-Terra site, The Beast was on Air site
CoasterCrazyChris

Does anyone know if the beacons which were attached to the outside of the Black Hole tent ever worked?
PeteB

CoasterCrazyChris wrote: Does anyone know if the beacons which were attached to the outside of the Black Hole tent ever worked?
Yes, they did at one point.
Storm

SpinballEdders wrote: Another photo from Theme Park Guide

Anyone notice the Green and Yellow pattern on the inside?
just doesnt look big enough to hold the coaster it self or the entrance on and off the ride and the exit point.