The Smiler - Construction Discussion

Smile always. New for 2013.
Dormiens-Dave

Just a reminder this topic is purely to discuss photos of construction as they come in. The recent conversation is completely off-topic but we dont want this to spiral out of control.

Thanks
Johno

I'm intrigued whether they're planning on fully destroying the blackhole tent?

Or are they going to take it down constructively? Could it be used anywhere else?
Stelios7
Location: Somewhere near Disney Land Stafford. I mean... err... Derbyshire.

Surely we would of heard of leaks if the tent was going to be sold to another theme park? I reckon nobody would want it considering that it is in such a state that it's in. I'm sure they are going to destroy the tent.
Officially, TTF's Only EasyJet founder.
Blaze

They'll cut squared out of it and flog them to enthusiasts on ebay. :P
DiogoJ42

I can't see Alton doing a time-lapse, sadly. Thorpe whip up enthusiasm by showing you how awesome their ride will be. Towers, on the other hand, keep people in the dark and let enthusiasts whip up their own hysteria.... inevitably leading to disappointment.
Themeparksandy1981

Maybe there taking it down piece by piece as they can get a good price for the metal at the scrap yard.
Vladimir Bobinski

BigAl wrote:
DiogoJ42 wrote: The important question is, "will they sell off bits of the tent to us geeks?"
Are you still planning on decorating your house with various pieces of theme park junk? :lol:
I call dibs on the fibre glass insulation.  There's a lot of it!
.Will

Vladimir Bobinski wrote:
BigAl wrote:
DiogoJ42 wrote: The important question is, "will they sell off bits of the tent to us geeks?"
Are you still planning on decorating your house with various pieces of theme park junk? :lol:
I call dibs on the fibre glass insulation.  There's a lot of it!
Lets be fair whatever Alton sell it at it'll still be better than B&Q's prices.

See it's not all doom and gloom we could all be DIY enthusiasts.
AdamPanic

DiogoJ42 wrote: I can't see Alton doing a time-lapse, sadly.
Why not? They did one for Thirteen, link to heritage page
Rocket

Found this on CoasterForce Forums. The black hole tent is going very quickly
-Prometheus-

At this rate it'll probably be gone within the fortnight, maybe even less.  Very speedy.
Bear

The canvas coverings will take much less time to remove than the steel structure, I imagine a couple of weeks is a good estimate!
ry1996

^ I should imagine they will just use a digger with a claw thing to just pull down the metal frame in no time.
-Prometheus-

Good point.  Hadn't considered that; full on demolition of the steelwork instead of careful deconstruction.  It has been a part of Alton for so long I assumed (for some completely unfounded reason) it wouldn't get junked.
PeteB

Plans approved and now watching the tent come down, suddenly feels like the next SW is really happening and no longer just talk.

Here we go again... Exciting times  :D
Coaster_Dude

I don't think they'll demolish it carelessly, I'm sure there's somewhere out there that would buy it. It's almost certainly likely to be worth more as a whole rather than the scrap value of the metal.
CrazyTowers

Flamingoland have an empty space where their corkscrew used to live! If they get a new ride, like a flat, AT might sell it to them, but then again the tent is old.

But if I were demolishing the BH tent, if intended for scrapping, I'd stratigicaly place small explosive charges in key places, set them off in sequence, & watch it fall! Then clean it all up & stuff. Would take much less than two weeks! But it'd need to take place at a time when there's no guests & just demolition people in bright yellow safety gear, all looking like construction umpa-lumpas, due to modern H&S.

And yeah I think a bout 2 weeks, 3 at most!

I wonder if the public access in X-sector will be diverted for any machines or in case of falling debris from the SW7 construction, like small shards of metal or bits of hot sparks/flux from soldering. We'll just have to wait & see!

(Sorry if this reply is a bit, erm, long.) :)
It's been a while.
Rob L

Another deconstruction update from today:

All photos taken from areas of the park accessible to the public, please do not use these photos without my permission.

:)

siralgenon

I loved that hole  :cry:  ;)
starbugger1303

siralgenon wrote: I loved that hole  :cry:  ;)
Me too, it was the best hole on park..

;)

*End of innuendo*