The Smiler - Construction Discussion

Smile always. New for 2013.
sw7nutter

Hate to be a pain but they don't need to open in may. Just look at their terms and conditions. They can open and close rides when they like. Saying it opens in may can be changed with out any law suit.
Saying this I do think that tomorrow may be the day.
In just 1 day I managed: 75 rides on stealth, 8 swarms, the dodgems and a tea cups. February half term was good.
DanMcSUFC

DeeJayUK wrote:Just to add that AT staff told me that there was a cow in blivvy's tunnel last friday hence the area closure. Really not funny in the slightest and goes to show that you can't believe everything you've been told by resort staff.
I'm guessing they got it to mooooo-ve on the day x-sector closed then lol... (Sorry, poor joke, I'll get my coat!)

On a serious construction note, all the updates today seem to point towards an opening very soon! I for one, cannot wait for this to finally open, held off of planning a trip to Alton Rowers until it was 100% open, so cannot wait to see this thing in person!!!
GriffGB

Kieran141 wrote: im sure alton towers will find a way around this even if the let very fewpeople on it would still be clast as that it opened please mistake me if im wrong
I'd expect its only false advertising if you're deliberately trying to defraud people.  This was intended to open at the time they advertised, but for technical reasons couldn't open. I can't see AT deliberately trying to defraud people by putting a date they had no intention of trying to keep.  Way would they gain from it other than disgruntled punters.
Deejay

I will be giving Alton a rest after I have ridden the smiler, I need to ride it for closure more than anything else! It does make sense to soft launch today as then they meet the may deadline and then can keep it closed again if they want!

Good point about this not being intentional on Alton's part. I bet their team morale is low at the minute. They are probably more keen for it to open than we are, I hope their management learn not to promote so early next time. GP opinion of Towers is not going to be tarnished by this as all they see on watchdog and the adverts are really nice pre-selected clips..

Alton will benefit from the airtime. All publicity is good publicity, there is no such thing as bad press!
Last edited by Deejay on Fri May 31, 2013 3:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
MatthewR1990

DeeJayUK wrote: I will be giving Alton a rest after I have ridden the smiler, I need to ride it for closure more than anything else! It does make sense to soft launch today as then they meet the may deadline and then can keep it closed again if they want! Good point about this not being intentional on Alton's part. I bet their team morale is low at the minute. They are probably more keen for it to open than we are. Zi hope the management learn not to promote so early next time. GP opinion of Towers is not going to be tarnished by this.

Alton will benefit from the airtime. All publicity is good publicity, there is no such thing as bad press!
"Alton Towers' new ride de-rails during testing, kills a duck" < that would be bad press
West Bromwich Albion until I die! I bleed blue and white.
Deejay

Hahahaha this is making me quackers!! Cant sleep cos I'm so gutted I cant make it up tomorrow. Trains are £100 and not worth the risk, had it opened on the 23rd I would have been first rider front seat like I was for the Swarm last year and the backwards launch event a couple of months ago. I feel robbed!
Danny

Well I'm in the SL hotel and there's still no message of it being open :(
Nocama

Looks like a June opening
@jordywilsonmcr :)
thorpetowersfan14

Nocama wrote: Looks like a June opening
Yes because I doubt they would open it with no public notice at least three days before.
J_Baggie

thorpetowersfan14 wrote:
Nocama wrote: Looks like a June opening
Yes because I doubt they would open it with no public notice at least three days before.
Maybe a soft opening?
West Brom til I die!
Themeparksandy1981

Has anyone seen a train go round since the 22nd May? I think you see that the builders have finished with just little bits and bobs to do now. Today it can be all out testing with maybe dueling as if they can't get that sorted I can see very long queues and angry guests.
J_Baggie

Themeparksandy1981 wrote: Has anyone seen a train go round since the 22nd May? I think you see that the builders have finished with just little bits and bobs to do now. Today it can be all out testing with maybe dueling as if they can't get that sorted I can see very long queues and angry guests.
They've been doing night tests and all is going well apparently
West Brom til I die!
thorpetowersfan14

J_Baggie wrote:
Themeparksandy1981 wrote: Has anyone seen a train go round since the 22nd May? I think you see that the builders have finished with just little bits and bobs to do now. Today it can be all out testing with maybe dueling as if they can't get that sorted I can see very long queues and angry guests.
They've been doing night tests and all is going well apparently
There has  been no videos of testing on Youtube so I would say no
thorpetowersfan14

Has anyone seen any queue line videos or something in the queue yet?
J_Baggie

thorpetowersfan14 wrote: Has anyone seen any queue line videos or something in the queue yet?
If you mean videos OF the queue: Nah as far as I know the inside queue line is still a secret
If you mean videos IN the queue: I saw the queue line tv screens being tested yesterday. They look good tbh lol
West Brom til I die!
thorpetowersfan14

J_Baggie wrote:
thorpetowersfan14 wrote: Has anyone seen any queue line videos or something in the queue yet?
If you mean videos OF the queue: Nah as far as I know the inside queue line is still a secret
If you mean videos IN the queue: I saw the queue line tv screens being tested yesterday. They look good tbh lol
Thank you are they the same videos as the Miles Cedars ones
J_Baggie

thorpetowersfan14 wrote:
J_Baggie wrote:
I didn't get a good look at them because I only stopped for a quick look at the site on the way to oblivion. But they keep showing 'recruitment' on the screen. They remind me of the marmaliser videos
West Brom til I die!
Danny

J_Baggie wrote:
thorpetowersfan14 wrote:
J_Baggie wrote: If you mean videos OF the queue: Nah as far as I know the inside queue line is still a secret
I didn't get a good look at them because I only stopped for a quick look at the site on the way to oblivion. But they keep showing 'recruitment' on the screen. They remind me of the marmaliser videos
No they aren't of the miles cedar vids, was watching them for a while yesterday. All about recruitment and lots of illusions and flashing images of the smiler logo
OptimaX

Hello.

I have a question. In those construction update pictures, many of the photo's have this section blocked out, where at request of Alton Towers they obscured parts of the track. But i've seen the full POV that is on youtube and I can't quite figure out what the big deal is with that bit they tried to obscure. Can someone shine a light on this? What did they try to keep a secret on those pictures?
PhNx Survivor

En route to AT, just a reminder I will be uploading pictures to Twitter with my account @PhNx_Survivor, I'll try and get good pictures as soon as possible.
“A surprise to be sure, but a welcome one”