The Smiler - Construction Discussion

Smile always. New for 2013.
kelly.carter.79230

sw7nutter wrote:
Hmv wrote:
sw7nutter wrote: I was at Thorpe park today where i found out that AT knew that the Smiler wasn't going to open at the begining of the season back in November. And apparently they knew it wasn't opening on the day the said it would from the media event.
I know people will say its not true but i got this information from talking to one of the people from management in the stealth queue line.
I'm sorry but I wouldn't believe this one bit even if you were told it! Us at AT and Thorpe have a rivalry that means that people will say anything to try and bad mouth the other park, all in a light hearted way! For example AT staff are calling saw a little girls ride and also Rekon the staff at Thorpe are awful compared to us!
He did also mention something about Thorpe warning them but of course you do have to take this with a pinch of salt
why would they bad mouth towers all the parks are part of the merlin group 
James-Allgood

for anyone that missed it on tv tonight:

Evostance

kelly.carter.79230 wrote:
sw7nutter wrote:
Hmv wrote: I'm sorry but I wouldn't believe this one bit even if you were told it! Us at AT and Thorpe have a rivalry that means that people will say anything to try and bad mouth the other park, all in a light hearted way! For example AT staff are calling saw a little girls ride and also Rekon the staff at Thorpe are awful compared to us!
He did also mention something about Thorpe warning them but of course you do have to take this with a pinch of salt
Internal rivalry.  Just a bit of fun
Hmv

sw7nutter wrote:
Hmv wrote: I'm sorry but I wouldn't believe this one bit even if you were told it! Us at AT and Thorpe have a rivalry that means that people will say anything to try and bad mouth the other park, all in a light hearted way! For example AT staff are calling saw a little girls ride and also Rekon the staff at Thorpe are awful compared to us!
Haha been part of the Merlin group is much less of a bond than people think, we are still competitors!! We like the bragging rights within the group :) and yeh from the sound of that I'd take it as pure BS knowing Thorpe staff, tbh all the decent Thorpe staff end up at towers anyway, seems they would rather work at the flagship of the Merlin brand!! ;)
kelly.carter.79230

Hmv wrote:
sw7nutter wrote: He did also mention something about Thorpe warning them but of course you do have to take this with a pinch of salt
Haha been part of the Merlin group is much less of a bond than people think, we are still competitors!! We like the bragging rights within the group :) and yeh from the sound of that I'd take it as pure BS knowing Thorpe staff, tbh all the decent Thorpe staff end up at towers anyway, seems they would rather work at the flagship of the Merlin brand!! ;)
well I've bin thorpe park with my bf and the only good rides are swarm stealth nemisis and saw apart from that there isn't that much compared to towers a lot more at towers
dazza4783

TheSmiler1998 wrote: Right no set time frame for opening according to watch dog  :(
It does make you wonder if they always knew they weren't going to have it open for the 23rd. I mean, we know merlin are known for their publicity stunts, this has got a lot of people talking about the ride. It has just had a minutes worth of FREE airtime on prime time BBC, and although what was being said was negative, i bet there were a lot of people looking at the footage of the ride thinking WOW i need to get on that thing.
And if it opens tomorrow they have still got it open when they said they would, i.e "May 2013".
Last edited by dazza4783 on Thu May 30, 2013 9:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
wburgess

I expect the "no set timeframe" came from last weekend and is not a recent comment.
Heisenberg96

wburgess wrote: I expect the "no set timeframe" came from last weekend and is not a recent comment.
I'll second this. Doubt the report was made today and has probably been recorded a few days ago when we were all in the dark about it.
TheSmiler1998

It is only the BBC! It's not exactly a confirmed rollercoaster source!
Christ, I'm watching Sun, Sea and Suspicous Parents and a corporation that broadcasts this doesn't earn my respect in rollercoaster terms! Great show but honestly I would trust the BBC regarding the smiler, as far as I could throw them
@LukeSavidge1998 I follow back so hit follow button! #getcorrect #excited
We know what we are, we know what we are! Erm.... Europa League winners we know what we are! Doesn't have the same ring to it does it?
Will1997

I thought that AT would just release the opening day because its rare that they would advertise at 10. Maybe we will get an advert at 10:30 saying that its open tomorrow!
TheSmiler1998

Yeah but most kids who will pressure their parents to go to alton towers will be in bed by 10:30!
They'd be wiping out at least a quarter of their target market! Hell I know people on my year (year 10) who are in bed by 8!
It won't happen
We know what we are, we know what we are! Erm.... Europa League winners we know what we are! Doesn't have the same ring to it does it?
dazza4783

Will1997 wrote: I thought that AT would just release the opening day because its rare that they would advertise at 10. Maybe we will get an advert at 10:30 saying that its open tomorrow!
Will they even bother announcing it, as far as most people are concerned The Smiler "opened" 23rd May, and all the website says is "due to technical issues the smiler is currently unavailable", NOT "due to poor planning the smiler hasn't opened yet". The message they are giving is basically what they would put for any other ride that is currently out of action.
I reckon they will just open it tomorrow morning like every other ride, the only difference is the message will be removed from the website.
TheSmiler1998

dazza4783 wrote:
Will1997 wrote: I thought that AT would just release the opening day because its rare that they would advertise at 10. Maybe we will get an advert at 10:30 saying that its open tomorrow!
Will they even bother announcing it, as far as most people are concerned The Smiler "opened" 23rd May, and all the website says is "due to technical issues the smiler is currently unavailable", NOT "due to poor planning the smiler hasn't opened yet". The message they are giving is basically what they would put for any other ride that is currently out of action.
I reckon they will just open it tomorrow morning like every other ride, the only difference is the message will be removed from the website.
What and miss out on tens of thousands of enthusiasts screaming like pre pubescent girls at a Justin Bieber concert? Of course not. With all the set backs they'll want to maximise their profits on the actual opening day
Joshysqaushy

TheSmiler1998 wrote:
dazza4783 wrote:
What and miss out on tens of thousands of enthusiasts screaming like pre pubescent girls at a Justin Bieber concert? Of course not. With all the set backs they'll want to maximise their profits on the actual opening day
Not really, first off they will want to slowly ease out all the errors so by having a quiet soft opening day if it does break down there wont be a thousand people stood outside moaning and demanding there tickets back etc...
DONCASTER ADVENTURE PARKS NEW COASTER
TRAILER:
UPDATES: http://forum.towerstimes.co.uk/viewtopi ... 8&start=40
bealyboy

themeparkcollective wrote: The Smiler Photo Cover!

Nice, but nothing special...
I am thinking that we will have a soft opening tomorrow (they surely would have advertised a proper one by now) and then adverts rolling out tomorrow as well for opening on Saturday! :)
SMILE.ALWAYS
XXBENNXX

i just tweeted them informing them that if they don't open tomorrow then they had best be changing the website. people will start having claims to a lawsuit on false advertisements. if they don't then this is going to be one hell of an embarrassment on their part.
Joshysqaushy

XXBENNXX wrote: i just tweeted them informing them that if they don't open tomorrow then they had best be changing the website. people will start having claims to a lawsuit on false advertisements. if they don't then this is going to be one hell of an embarrassment on their part.
It doesn't say anywhere on the website that it opens in may.
DONCASTER ADVENTURE PARKS NEW COASTER
TRAILER:
UPDATES: http://forum.towerstimes.co.uk/viewtopi ... 8&start=40
XXBENNXX

Joshysqaushy wrote:
XXBENNXX wrote: i just tweeted them informing them that if they don't open tomorrow then they had best be changing the website. people will start having claims to a lawsuit on false advertisements. if they don't then this is going to be one hell of an embarrassment on their part.
It doesn't say anywhere on the website that it opens in may.
http://www.the-smiler.com/thesmiler/ - rather un-missable to be fair