The Smiler - Construction Discussion

Smile always. New for 2013.
Fantasmic

Was that it? a 30 second mention?
TheSmiler1998

jamjamz wrote: Oh well..its been confirmed that Alton Towers will not give an exact date when the smiler will open.comfirmed on watchdog.. Absolutly gutted  :(
I beat you to it  ;)
TheSmiler1998 wrote: Right no set time frame for opening according to watch dog  :(
@LukeSavidge1998 I follow back so hit follow button! #getcorrect #excited
We know what we are, we know what we are! Erm.... Europa League winners we know what we are! Doesn't have the same ring to it does it?
Static Veins

jamjamz wrote: Oh well..its been confirmed that Alton Towers will not give an exact date when the smiler will open.comfirmed on watchdog.. Absolutly gutted  :(
It's clear AT aren't giving out the date until they're sure. Or maybe they're not giving it out at all until it's open. The BBC will just be going off the same information and statements from AT we have, so don't worry!
lucky13

That is what you cal a great piece of marketing most people in the uk will watch that or bgt. That didnt even hurt alton it was very positive and ripped some no bodies
Thats how we roll SLIDERS
arE Y0u R3AdY t0 Sm1Le?

Still now official confirmation of it opening tomorrow, and it may not... I called it ;) ( last page ;) )
Anyway who knows stranger things have happened!
Like it not opening on the original date! SPOOKY  :roll:
Lets all just pray tonight :D
Last edited by arE Y0u R3AdY t0 Sm1Le? on Thu May 30, 2013 8:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jealousy, turning saints into the sea
Swimming through sick lullabies
Choking on your alibis

But it's just the price I pay
Destiny is calling me
Open up my eager eyes
‘Cause I'm Mr. Brightside
Jack

That was awful tbh, I was expecting someone from AT marketing to be saying the usual stuff (e.g We will refund or replace tickets for the smiler) and there was no information that wasn't hard to find. Gutted
cwalton5566

Can I have the hour of my life back. Thought they would give some information or even an interview. Disappointed.
Stern John

Didn't tell us anything we didn't already know.
Shows the people that said we were out of order to complain about it not opening on the advertised date that we were well within our rights to complain.
Could still open tomorrow, wouldn't put money on it though.
Like how they didn't say that just about anyone who goes to guest services will be given free tickets to come back regardless of BOGOF's or what date they visited!
With advertising/complaints etc this must have cost a pretty penny.
Chaz

The guys/girls behind the official Alton Towers Twitter account are tweeting again, at this time of night? That isn't normal is it!?
1ne, 2wo, 3hree, 4our, 5ive, 6ix, se7en, ei8ht, 9ine, t10n, e11even, tw12ve, th13teen

www.facebook.com/charliemarsh7
the smiler :-)

everybody's been saying it is going to be opening tomorrow but the Alton towers have'nt announced it yet UK theme parks-theme parks has said that Alton towers want it to be a soft opening in case of anymore issues
TheSmiler1998

I suppose a June 1st opening allows them to draw a line under the events of may
@LukeSavidge1998 I follow back so hit follow button! #getcorrect #excited
We know what we are, we know what we are! Erm.... Europa League winners we know what we are! Doesn't have the same ring to it does it?
wardiespritz

my thoughts are maybe watchdog had a bigger piece to do on the ride, however after todays events and not wanting to look stupid they cut down the section on the smiler and instead did a pathetic 2 minute moan and then moved on.
Fingers crossed...

Time to get corrected?.........
You must escape........go...go..go
Heisenberg96

arE Y0u R3AdY t0 Sm1Le? wrote: Yes your all saying staff told you, yet staff and builders have all told us that "the smiler will be opening tomorrow" some even before the orginal date, some still saying it was going to open on the 23rd even when Alton confirmed it wasn't and many during the week from then too now, I don't realise how this is different.
The difference this time being staff have learnt from the error of their ways, and wouldn't tell people it's opening tomorrow without reassurance.

I also would like to mention to those of you who don't believe it'll open tomorrow...we've been saying all along it'll be better for Alton Towers to leave a release date and instead take 'The Smiler is closed due to technical issues' off the site for about a week to get into the swing of things...then start advertising 'open now'. Alton Towers must have realised an opening date isn't clever for The Smiler after the 23rd.
sw7nutter

I was at Thorpe park today where i found out that AT knew that the Smiler wasn't going to open at the begining of the season back in November. And apparently they knew it wasn't opening on the day the said it would from the media event.
I know people will say its not true but i got this information from talking to one of the people from management in the stealth queue line.
In just 1 day I managed: 75 rides on stealth, 8 swarms, the dodgems and a tea cups. February half term was good.
J_Baggie

Shop. I saw inside when the shutter was open and it is huuuge. Fully stocked and ready. 20 meters long at least if I remember right. With photo viewing screens down other end

very senior/important people that were doing inspection of ride. Exited through shop. When I asked about opening tomorrow, the lady said with a cheeky smile "ooh not sure. Just keep checking the website
West Brom til I die!
Astro61201

Did you see a glass floor by any chance, and I wonder if them people were gersts and/or H&S
cant wait!, cant wait!, cant wait! :uk:
J_Baggie

Astro61201 wrote: Did you see a glass floor by any chance, and I wonder if them people were gersts and/or H&S
I can't confirm a glass floor. But just inside the right hand shutter is special flooring. I cant confirm the material but it had white dots on it (didn't that pane of glass they had delivered have white dots on it?). I hope they were just getting a final look, and then opening tomorrow. Because them, and JW were on site today. Must mean opening soon. And since tomorrow is the last day of may it should be opening tomorrow (soft opening in my opinion)
West Brom til I die!
Nickstar

Just saw the mention on Watchdog. I wouldn't be surprised if Alton had willingly offered Watchdog pre-edited footage seeing what a phenomenal bit of publicity they just got. Just think of all the parents/kids watching the show who knew nothing of the Smiler until just then.

Watchdog gets more viewers than normal for the lion's share of an hour and Alton get that phenomenal footage broadcast free in primetime. Both teams win. :-)
Hmv

sw7nutter wrote: I was at Thorpe park today where i found out that AT knew that the Smiler wasn't going to open at the begining of the season back in November. And apparently they knew it wasn't opening on the day the said it would from the media event.
I know people will say its not true but i got this information from talking to one of the people from management in the stealth queue line.
I'm sorry but I wouldn't believe this one bit even if you were told it! Us at AT and Thorpe have a rivalry that means that people will say anything to try and bad mouth the other park, all in a light hearted way! For example AT staff are calling saw a little girls ride and also Rekon the staff at Thorpe are awful compared to us!
sw7nutter

Hmv wrote:
sw7nutter wrote: I was at Thorpe park today where i found out that AT knew that the Smiler wasn't going to open at the begining of the season back in November. And apparently they knew it wasn't opening on the day the said it would from the media event.
I'm sorry but I wouldn't believe this one bit even if you were told it! Us at AT and Thorpe have a rivalry that means that people will say anything to try and bad mouth the other park, all in a light hearted way! For example AT staff are calling saw a little girls ride and also Rekon the staff at Thorpe are awful compared to us!
He did also mention something about Thorpe warning them but of course you do have to take this with a pinch of salt
In just 1 day I managed: 75 rides on stealth, 8 swarms, the dodgems and a tea cups. February half term was good.