The Smiler - Construction Discussion

Smile always. New for 2013.
camlees

Anyone else notice on AT twitter page, the smiler background and the new Alton Towers logo has been removed.
Jack

MatthewR1990 wrote:
Heisenberg96 wrote: Unless we've had a massive string of lies (which I seriously doubt) I see no reason to believe why the staff are wrong in saying the ride will open tomorrow. Really don't think they'd tell you if they weren't sure with all the madness we've already had.
The staff have been saying this haven't they? I'm also saying that unicorns are real and if you pick your toe nails you turn into a toad. Get my point? We have had nothing official from AT. NOTHING. And leaving it this late for an announcement of the opening of its biggest ever coaster the next day, well it doesn't seem like good marketing to me.

Spoil sport? No I'm just saying the ONLY fact we do know. At this moment in time Alton are saying the Smiler is closed. There's no "coaster looks do" or "everything looks finished". That's all opinions and assumptions. There is only one fact from all of this and I've stated it above. I'm not however saying I don't want it open, heck I'd love it to open.
It's almost like you don't want the ride to open! seriously, we are going on the word of people that WORK at Alton Towers, not a kid saying that his friends Mom's cousin works there and said something!
MatthewR1990

jackandylan123 wrote:
MatthewR1990 wrote:
Heisenberg96 wrote: Unless we've had a massive string of lies (which I seriously doubt) I see no reason to believe why the staff are wrong in saying the ride will open tomorrow. Really don't think they'd tell you if they weren't sure with all the madness we've already had.
The staff have been saying this haven't they? I'm also saying that unicorns are real and if you pick your toe nails you turn into a toad. Get my point? We have had nothing official from AT. NOTHING. And leaving it this late for an announcement of the opening of its biggest ever coaster the next day, well it doesn't seem like good marketing to me.

Spoil sport? No I'm just saying the ONLY fact we do know. At this moment in time Alton are saying the Smiler is closed. There's no "coaster looks do" or "everything looks finished". That's all opinions and assumptions. There is only one fact from all of this and I've stated it above. I'm not however saying I don't want it open, heck I'd love it to open.
It's almost like you don't want the ride to open! seriously, we are going on the word of people that WORK at Alton Towers, not a kid saying that his friends Mom's cousin works there and said something!
Did you actually read my post? Lmao
West Bromwich Albion until I die! I bleed blue and white.
Heisenberg96

MatthewR1990 wrote: The staff have been saying this haven't they? I'm also saying that unicorns are real and if you pick your toe nails you turn into a toad. Get my point? We have had nothing official from AT. NOTHING. And leaving it this late for an announcement of the opening of its biggest ever coaster the next day, well it doesn't seem like good marketing to me.

Well why would AT want to release a date after all the mayhem they've already had? If I was working on The Smiler I wouldn't want to announce a release date in case another incident occurred and MORE people were left disappointed. So surely the logical solution would be a soft opening tomorrow to make sure everything is definitely ready to go and if there is another incident that causes a delay...they wouldn't have set a date so it wouldn't matter!

Furthermore, Alton Towers did say on Twitter today in response to a question regarding opening tomorrow with 'news on opening dates will be through altontowers.com and social media'. Yes, this isn't a definite response but it's the only time I haven't seen Alton Towers come back with the same 'closed for technical issues'. Not factual, but suggestive that opening is round the corner and that 'technical issue' is solved.

At the end of the day, the people some are claiming to be fibbers and saying 'look at the facts' were actually the ones on park today. I have more reason to believe them than anybody else. I doubt they all conveniently told the same lie that the staff were claiming opening to be tomorrow. If that was a lie at least ONE person would have said so. But no. Nobody did. Maybe we should all start putting some trust in our fellow TT members a little more.
Jack

MatthewR1990 wrote: Did you actually read my post? Lmao
yes, I did, and I trust the users of TTF enough to be able to go by what they say :moj
Richardio123

MatthewR1990 wrote: Spoil sport? No I'm just saying the ONLY fact we do know. At this moment in time Alton are saying the Smiler is closed. There's no "coaster looks do" or "everything looks finished". That's all opinions and assumptions. There is only one fact from all of this and I've stated it above. I'm not however saying I don't want it open, heck I'd love it to open.
Oh Matthew my spoil sport remark was a simple childish gesture. :) On regards to the opening of The Smiler, Saturday will probably be a better day for Alton Towers to open it..... But they are on Watchdog tonight and thats live isn't it?, they wouldn't be on it for any other reason except being grilled for advertising a closed ride. All I know is that it is going to open shortly, well that's what i think in my head ...  :woo:
Signature Pending.. ;D
arsenalfan-1

I think we should just sit back and be patient. The moment will come. The fingers point towards an opening tomorrow but we don't have proof in writing so we just have to wait and see. :moj
Thanks Lewis97
TheSmiler1998

Maybe the watchdog appearance is going to be free advertising announcing an opening date whilst apologising for the whole fuss about not opening and all that stuff
@LukeSavidge1998 I follow back so hit follow button! #getcorrect #excited
We know what we are, we know what we are! Erm.... Europa League winners we know what we are! Doesn't have the same ring to it does it?
MatthewR1990

Heisenberg96 wrote:
MatthewR1990 wrote: The staff have been saying this haven't they? I'm also saying that unicorns are real and if you pick your toe nails you turn into a toad. Get my point? We have had nothing official from AT. NOTHING. And leaving it this late for an announcement of the opening of its biggest ever coaster the next day, well it doesn't seem like good marketing to me.

Well why would AT want to release a date after all the mayhem they've already had? If I was working on The Smiler I wouldn't want to announce a release date in case another incident occurred and MORE people were left disappointed. So surely the logical solution would be a soft opening tomorrow to make sure everything is definitely ready to go and if there is another incident that causes a delay...they wouldn't have set a date so it wouldn't matter!

Furthermore, Alton Towers did say on Twitter today in response to a question regarding opening tomorrow with 'news on opening dates will be through altontowers.com and social media'. Yes, this isn't a definite response but it's the only time I haven't seen Alton Towers come back with the same 'closed for technical issues'. Not factual, but suggestive that opening is round the corner and that 'technical issue' is solved.

At the end of the day, the people some are claiming to be fibbers and saying 'look at the facts' were actually the ones on park today. I have more reason to believe them than anybody else. I doubt they all conveniently told the same lie that the staff were claiming opening to be tomorrow. If that was a lie at least ONE person would have said so. But no. Nobody did. Maybe we should all start putting some trust in our fellow TT members a little more.
Actually that's the same reply they give everytime. Including myself about 4 days ago. The twitter team doesn't know so we should just check the website. It's been that same reply for a week now. So that doesn't count as anything. And people have been wrong before. So until is we an announcement I shan't be getting my hopes up.
West Bromwich Albion until I die! I bleed blue and white.
Heisenberg96

MatthewR1990 wrote:
Heisenberg96 wrote:

Actually that's the same reply they give everytime. Including myself about 4 days ago. The twitter team doesn't know so we should just check the website. It's been that same reply for a week now. So that doesn't count as anything. And people have been wrong before. So until is we an announcement I shan't be getting my hopes up.
I can understand your logic, I just prefer to be as optimistic as possible and I'm purely going with a gut feeling on opening tomorrow. It was the fact that people on park today seemed to be sure of an opening tomorrow and the fact the builders have barely done any construction today that adds to this gut feeling.

I can see why you're not expecting opening, though. Right now, all of us who haven't visited today are just as 'in the dark' about it as each other.

EDIT: Yes they do always say 'check altontowers.com for further updates' but usually that's just a tag on to the comment that 'The Smiler is currently closed due to technical issues'. The fact they didn't say this suggests that this has been solved.
Deejay

I feel like I have been alone against the 'look at the facts' people. However AT decide to open the ride it wont suit everyone. If it opens tomorrow that's the worst case scenario for me as I have not been given the opportunity to make it up there.

As most of my posts this afternoon have been deleted I will say again that I spoke to merlin HQ today who urged me not to be taken in by all the non official messages we are seeing across social media. The one solid fact that I got is that we aren't likely to get an announcement long before its open. They will let people ride it as soon as it's signed off as safe.

If it does open tomorrow we can finally put the issue to bed, I'll be gutted if I'm not there as I moved hell and earth to pander to them last week. I really love Alton but lately it seems that they like leaving their most loyal customers hanging, very odd practice for a resort that claims to be so customer friendly. Roll on watchdog at 8pm.

Just to add that AT staff told me that there was a cow in blivvy's tunnel last friday hence the area closure. Really not funny in the slightest and goes to show that you can't believe everything you've been told by resort staff.
Last edited by Deejay on Thu May 30, 2013 6:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Balb0wa

well definitely going tomorrow, weather looks great
Danny

Been on park today an tomorrow, update of today to follow :)
JammyBand

I am still unsure as to when this will open. Everything seems to point towards tomorrow, but who without an official announcement , there is no way we can safely say that it will be open then. The biggest thing for me that suggests tomorrow is that the website still says 'JOIN US... MAY 2013.' Surely they would have known and updated the website if it was not opening tomorrow? People have said there is some sort of lack of communication between workers at Alton, but I would have thought the website was the first thing that was updated.

(I like to make my posts nice and colourful :D )
arsenalfan-1

DeeJayUK wrote: I feel like I have been alone against the 'look at the facts' people. However AT decide to open the ride it wont suit everyone. If it opens tomorrow that's the worst case scenario for me as I have not been given the opportunity to make it up there.

As most of my posts this afternoon have been deleted I will say again that I spoke to merlin HQ today who urged me not to be taken in by all the non official messages we are seeing across social media. The one solid fact that I got is that we aren't likely to get an announcement long before its open. They will let people ride it as soon as it's signed off as safe.

If it does open tomorrow we can finally put the issue to bed, I'll be gutted if I'm not there as I moved hell and earth to pander to them last week. I really love Alton but lately it seems that they like leaving their most loyal customers hanging, very odd practice for a resort that claims to be so customer friendly. Roll on watchdog at 8pm.

Just to add that AT staff told me that there was a cow in blivvy's tunnel last friday hence the area closure. Really not funny in the slightest and goes to show that you can't believe everything you've been told by resort staff.
I can't believe they told you there was a cow in the tunnel. LOL!

Anyway, I don't think your 'against' anyone. Truth be told not a single person on here knows for sure what will happen with regards to the opening. Therefore, I don't think a divide should be created and another opinion war like 'the f*ns'. We will know in good time. :moj
Thanks Lewis97
tallicay2k

jbuckton18 wrote:
Evostance wrote:
NecronomiconUK wrote: My GF doesn't like rollercoasters but she will normally queue with us and pass through the station instead of waiting outside the ride area.
Exactly what my GF does now.  Although I feel a bit silly going on my own on the rides  :roll:
#

Count yourselves lucky .. my girlfriend refuses to even go ! haha
Feel sorry for you guys, my wife goes on all except oblivion and I still try n get her on....my mission continues... 8)
SEEK...AND...DESTROY
Danscott22

I personally think it will open tomorrow but maybe a bit later than the other rides, and maybe we'll get told tomorrow or something?;)
wardiespritz

Maybe its all a gimmick that's gone a bit too far with people booking holidays and things. i can see them announcing an opening date tonight.
Just as watchdog start the grilling they respond with:
'we're extremely sorry things didn't go  to plan, we removed the date from the adverts as soon as we could. However it will be open from tomorrow.
I'd say thats why all the cleaning went on today don't want things to look more of a mess for the cameras. with scaffolding everywhere etc..

Just a thought...
You must escape........go...go..go
JammyBand

Just watching The Smiler Advert.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=S6jGA3nXH9s#t=8s
At this point, the train shoots off only just after the person on the very far left has put down their restraint! Hope it is not like this when you are actually on the ride! :moj  ;)
Danny

Vertical lift hill. All clear seems ready. Monitors testing for the entrance to the correction block.
Showing a train on the transfer track, two on the brake run
Marmaliser testing with the tickler, giggled and hypnotiser.
Workers jet washing the pit and queue lines.
Quick overview
Workers. Only two trims left on airtime hill.
Blivvys q line
Pit theming
Still a lot of work at the back of sight.
Overview from bottom of sight
Yellow arrows before the two barrel rolls

Sorry it's so long :) any questions just ask

Box office tell me it should open tomorrow and tbh it looks like there's nothing more to do