The Smiler - Construction Discussion

Smile always. New for 2013.
Deejay

jbuckton18 wrote:
DeeJayUK wrote: JayJay got it in one. I'm scarred from bad treatment and mixed messages. I spoke to Merlin this afternoon and they are saying the opposite of what you all believe. I was told that there may be things to still be done in the areas we cannot see and to wait for an official announcement from their website and social media.

I really want this to be open ASAP but greedily want to be around when it does. This does not make me 'negative' by a long shot. If it does open tomorrow then fair play and whoever is among the first to ride spare me a thought as I will be bleeding inside :(
There has been a number of confirmations around the smiler site from staff and officials this will be open tomorrow. It annoys me when everyone is so negative ! look at the facts and you will then realise this will open tomorrow !

Not everyone is being negative, I imagine your extatic at being there for this wonderful event. However your attitude towards others makes me hope and pray that it doesn't open tomorrow. I for one won't listen to your moans if thats the case.
TheSmiler1998

I'm going to sound quite dumb but would someone like to explain what a soft opening is?
I'm just imagining everything becoming wobbly and jellylike  :D
@LukeSavidge1998 I follow back so hit follow button! #getcorrect #excited
We know what we are, we know what we are! Erm.... Europa League winners we know what we are! Doesn't have the same ring to it does it?
aircanman

Ben-TT wrote: I bought a GoPro chest mount to film the Smiler. However, I tried this on Nemesis last week and the ride op made me remove the camera.
No these GoPros with the chest mounts are bulletproof. There is no chance the thing was coming off, but they wouldn't let me.
I considered hiding the camera until I left the station, but the issue then is that if the op stops the ride half way around, you will likely get chucked out and banned from the park - not a risk I wanted to take!
Just keep trying I would, or put a t shirt on over it and cut a hole in the t shirt.
SuperWill

It's official that I won't be going to Alton Towers tomorrow! It's because my Dad is in work! He has ruined my day! I want to be there for the opening (hopefully) but no because my Dad is in work! But on the bright side I might be going on Saturday or Sunday! :)

Credit to Lewis97 :) 

Sit back, it's fright time! :D
tom.jarvis.58

Hi first time posting on this but isn't there meant to be some surprises on the coaster that are only going to be reviled when you ride it. I heard thee could be a tumble dryer type construction where it spins you upside down?? But hope to go to Alton towers in summer. I'm going to thourpe park hopefully on Monday to ride the saw for the first time and swarm lol.
JayJay90

TheSmiler1998 wrote: I'm going to sound quite dumb but would someone like to explain what a soft opening is?
I'm just imagining everything becoming wobbly and jellylike  :D
Its when a park opens a ride but doesnt announce it officially and runs it a few times so they can see how it goes and how it runs and reacts to people riding. That gives ride ops a practice too ready for the big day
krug

How many trains do you think they will have running when it opens?
Do you think they will duel from the get go or do you think they will do one train at a time so it can settle in and sort out potential 'teething' problems?
jamjamz

NecronomiconUK wrote: Image
Looks like there might be some finger wagging over running the adverts when the ride was closed
Probaly have someone from AT on there telling us how sorry they are. And u never know, we might also have an announcement for when it opens. Just a thought. ;)
Heisenberg96

tom.jarvis.58 wrote: Hi first time posting on this but isn't there meant to be some surprises on the coaster that are only going to be reviled when you ride it. I heard thee could be a tumble dryer type construction where it spins you upside down?? But hope to go to Alton towers in summer. I'm going to thourpe park hopefully on Monday to ride the saw for the first time and swarm lol.
The washing machine I suppose? Don't get us started on that again...

Put it this way my friend, it's very unlikely to happen  :)

And with regards to the pov, I always watch them before I go on rides. Doesn't take the fun away for me and can help me make sure if there's anything that'll freak any of my friends out so I can warn them prior. Some of us aren't lucky enough to be there for the buzz and have to make our own sadly :(

Anyone who is going tomorrow, have a great day I really hope its open for you!
King Nemesis

Would be pretty clever really..

"Sorry we could not open on the 23rd due to teething issues but we are officially opening tomorrow"

Therefore:

1) They have told people, so they can't be complained for no warning
2) Less people can make arrangements to visit = less strain on the ride
aircanman

krug wrote: How many trains do you think they will have running when it opens?
Do you think they will duel from the get go or do you think they will do one train at a time so it can settle in and sort out potential 'teething' problems?
They will have 2/3 trains on the coaster from the word go I would assume, all this will have been programmed into the system ready to go, I doubt alton would open this coaster only to have to close it again from another fault. 
GigaSurimi

Seriously, all those saying "look at the facts, it will be open tomorrow 100% sure" - may I remind you that the Smiler was supposed to open on the 23rd and that was a pretty solid "fact" at the time given all the advertisement and official announcement... So don't get your expectations too high for tomorrow or you'll probably be disappointed again.
rosco1982uk

GigaSurimi wrote: Seriously, all those saying "look at the facts, it will be open tomorrow 100% sure" - may I remind you that the Smiler was supposed to open on the 23rd and that was a pretty solid "fact" at the time given all the advertisement and official announcement... So don't get your expectations too high for tomorrow or you'll probably be disappointed again.
That's what I was shot down for - for not looking at the "facts".

Whilst there is still one key FACT - NO official announcement has been made. Zip. Zero. Zilch.
MatthewR1990

This won't open tomorrow. The fact there has been no announcement is what makes me think this. My bet would be Saturday.
West Bromwich Albion until I die! I bleed blue and white.
Richardio123

And here come the spoil sports ;(
Signature Pending.. ;D
Heisenberg96

Unless we've had a massive string of lies (which I seriously doubt) I see no reason to believe why the staff are wrong in saying the ride will open tomorrow. Really don't think they'd tell you if they weren't sure with all the madness we've already had.
lewis97
Admin
Admin

MatthewR1990 wrote: This won't open tomorrow. The fact there has been no announcement is what makes me think this. My bet would be Saturday.
I'm thinking along the same lines, this is what I said earlier...
lewis97 wrote: Okay, so it would seem The Smiler has been prepared for opening, however, perhaps we'll see a soft opening tomorrow with an official opening Saturday. I expect with all these problems they've had, they'll want to break it in as gently as possible.
djedwardsmith

I love that we're being told to ''LOOK AT THE FACTS'' when the facts are the posts of one, maybe two members claiming to be sharing the words of staff members. A source which has been incorrect multiple times before.

I'll believe it's open when I see it, that's 'fact' enough for me.
MatthewR1990

Heisenberg96 wrote: Unless we've had a massive string of lies (which I seriously doubt) I see no reason to believe why the staff are wrong in saying the ride will open tomorrow. Really don't think they'd tell you if they weren't sure with all the madness we've already had.
The staff have been saying this haven't they? I'm also saying that unicorns are real and if you pick your toe nails you turn into a toad. Get my point? We have had nothing official from AT. NOTHING. And leaving it this late for an announcement of the opening of its biggest ever coaster the next day, well it doesn't seem like good marketing to me.

Spoil sport? No I'm just saying the ONLY fact we do know. At this moment in time Alton are saying the Smiler is closed. There's no "coaster looks do" or "everything looks finished". That's all opinions and assumptions. There is only one fact from all of this and I've stated it above. I'm not however saying I don't want it open, heck I'd love it to open.
West Bromwich Albion until I die! I bleed blue and white.
King Nemesis

MatthewR1990 wrote:
The staff have been saying this haven't they? I'm also saying that unicorns are real and if you pick your toe nails you turn into a toad. Get my point? We have had nothing official from AT. NOTHING. And leaving it this late for an announcement of the opening of its biggest ever coaster the next day, well it doesn't seem like good marketing to me.

Spoil sport? No I'm just saying the ONLY fact we do know. At this moment in time Alton are saying the Smiler is closed. There's no "coaster looks do" or "everything looks finished". That's all opinions and assumptions. There is only one fact from all of this and I've stated it above. I'm not however saying I don't want it open, heck I'd love it to open.
My theory...
King Nemesis wrote: Would be pretty clever really..

"Sorry we could not open on the 23rd due to teething issues but we are officially opening tomorrow"

Therefore:

1) They have told people, so they can't be complained for no warning
2) Less people can make arrangements to visit = less strain on the ride