The Smiler - Construction Discussion

Smile always. New for 2013.
Heisenberg96

GigaSurimi wrote:
Heisenberg96 wrote: Sure there won't be a soft opening later today? Just because it could be quite confusing for visitors there today if its on the board but not actually open.
Assuming this beast is ready to go, I think a soft opening (today, tomorrow or any other day) is the best thing they could do. Then after a day or half a day of running they can post an official announcement, but at least they'd avoid drawing huge crowds in and risking disappointing people again if the thing isn't ready or fully working.
Exactly what I think. Plus the staff can settle in to running the ride then. I reckon they'll tell people on park today it'll open tomorrow but run it later on for a couple of hours to settle in for the big day tomorrow. If it messes up, then they don't have to make an announcement.
Slasherpyro

think its time i took a trip to my local burger king on route to alton in Macclesfield and take a nice drive to AT just to have a wander (:
jbuckton18

Heisenberg96 wrote:
GigaSurimi wrote:
Heisenberg96 wrote: Sure there won't be a soft opening later today? Just because it could be quite confusing for visitors there today if its on the board but not actually open.
Assuming this beast is ready to go, I think a soft opening (today, tomorrow or any other day) is the best thing they could do. Then after a day or half a day of running they can post an official announcement, but at least they'd avoid drawing huge crowds in and risking disappointing people again if the thing isn't ready or fully working.
Exactly what I think. Plus the staff can settle in to running the ride then. I reckon they'll tell people on park today it'll open tomorrow but run it later on for a couple of hours to settle in for the big day tomorrow. If it messes up, then they don't have to make an announcement.
yep exactly ! The guy at the smiler entrance is telling people that it will open tomorrow so thats kinda the 'in park' announcement but i dont think they will advertise anything on the website except take off the pre existing message they have on now about it being closed. AFter a few days of working the ride and bedding it in then they will announce it on the website and the TV adverts will come on regarding it now being open :) However , we could be completely wrong and they actually announce it this afternoon !
Some say they've seen angels, Ive seen The Smiler - That's enough
JayJay90

so how many people are on park and how many people there can confirm that the dude on the entrance to the smiler is saying its tomorrow?
Chaz

JayJay90 wrote: so how many people are on park and how many people there can confirm that the dude on the entrance to the smiler is saying its tomorrow?
And can anybody see down into the site, is it still a 'hard hat' area and are their still pieces of construction lying around?
1ne, 2wo, 3hree, 4our, 5ive, 6ix, se7en, ei8ht, 9ine, t10n, e11even, tw12ve, th13teen

www.facebook.com/charliemarsh7
Nocama

Slasherpyro wrote: think its time i took a trip to my local burger king on route to alton in Macclesfield and take a nice drive to AT just to have a wander (:
The Burger King is back open sweet! Apparently the park is very busy today and my friend has been told the smiler will be open tomorrow by staff on the fence after he saw the name go up on the queue time boards
@jordywilsonmcr :)
Heisenberg96

Who's going to be first to get us a POV then?
Jack

Heisenberg96 wrote: Who's going to be first to get us a POV then?
ITV? :lol:
Boz

Thanks to Lexie for this image!
coliver

I just don't think soft openings is Alton's style, have they done many in the past for major rides or just had one big one?
SMILE = 53173 = 5/31/13
IT'S OPEN :)
JayJay90

ok if it opens tomorrow i cant get it off work due to Motorhead going on sale :'( ill go tuesday on my next day off and that way any problems will be ironed out and hopefully it doesnt brake again :lol:

31st is the last friday of the month which means for a lot of people itll also be pay day so nice tactical move from towers ;)
Benjsh

It's opening in May afterall................Just.

Yay!
bbooth2

can someone describe to me what you mean by a 'soft opening'

surely its just called an opening haha, I don't understand the term, if they open it today then im pretty sure most of the visitors in the park will leave queues to join the smilers, so it is just an opening?
Richardio123

bbooth2 wrote: can someone describe to me what you mean by a 'soft opening'

surely its just called an opening haha, I don't understand the term, if they open it today then im pretty sure most of the visitors in the park will leave queues to join the smilers, so it is just an opening?
They open it but don't advertise that its open ! :)
Signature Pending.. ;D
Phild94

bbooth2 wrote: can someone describe to me what you mean by a 'soft opening'

Soft opening is essentially when they open up a ride and dont tell anyone via fb,twitter, their website, queue boards etc etc so they get relatively short queues.

EDIT: Ninja'd by Richardio123 :D

Also .....

OH MY GOD I'M SO DANG EXCITED ARGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH :D XD \:D/ \:D/ \:D/

So glad i decided to postpone my trip from today until tomorrow.....

Am i the only one sat here shaking a little because i'm so excited XD as mentioned by someone before i feel like a kid at christmas :D

Credit to Lewis97 for the fantastic signature :D
Heisenberg96

jackandylan123 wrote:
Heisenberg96 wrote: Who's going to be first to get us a POV then?
ITV? :lol:
Noooo...I mean a proper POV with a carriage full of riders and all the effects in full swing! :D
bbooth2

ahh okay, I think its mad how my feelings about this ride have changed, after last Thursday I didn't even come on towers times I just give up on the smiler, now im getting all giddy again :)
Boz

Sorry peeps, can I just reiterate what I said earlier for those that missed it:
Boz wrote: Guys, can I ask you all to help me keep this place tidy?
We don't need 100's of posts saying things like "ooo I hope there will be a soft opening later", or "I agree, I hope so too!", nor do we need multiple requests for images, one will do. These things do not contribute to discussion, and make the topic extremely difficult to follow.
I will start indiscriminately removing these types of posts from this moment on.
Can we all make sure that what we're posting really needs to be said, before doing so. It would help a lot, thanks :)
RCandrew

Sonic spinball is at 110 minutes right now this just shows that the smiler could well and truly be well over 2 hours  :shock:
rosco1982uk

Please please please - stop thinking that because "adverts are on tv regularly" that this means it is opening this Friday / soon.

I hope it is.

But as I've pointed out already - as have others - adverts are booked about SIX MONTHS in advance. Of course there are lots of adverts on for it the now - the ride was supposed to be open and Alton Towers wants as much interest generated in it with the British Summertime (no laughing at the back) about to be in full flow.

Adverts do not equal opening. The adverts will continue to play regardless.