The Smiler - Construction Discussion

Smile always. New for 2013.
wardiespritz

jackandylan123 wrote:
Snorlix wrote: Image
Looking at it from that angle, you can't tell that there are bad scrape marks, I just think, leave it, scrape marks will happen sooner or later, and if they occur early, then there is no point painting it as it will just end up happening again in the future, it's just something that can't be helped :moj
And it will be open earlier!
:lol:
You must escape........go...go..go
TheSmiler1998

Yeah it's scrapped on the surface but how do we know that the wear and tear of trains rushing over it won't lead to structural damage?
@LukeSavidge1998 I follow back so hit follow button! #getcorrect #excited
We know what we are, we know what we are! Erm.... Europa League winners we know what we are! Doesn't have the same ring to it does it?
monkeyboy

wardiespritz wrote:
jackandylan123 wrote:
Snorlix wrote: Image
Looking at it from that angle, you can't tell that there are bad scrape marks, I just think, leave it, scrape marks will happen sooner or later, and if they occur early, then there is no point painting it as it will just end up happening again in the future, it's just something that can't be helped :moj

And it will be open earlier!
:lol:

than the 23rd? oooo big smiley face  :(
aircanman

TheSmiler1998 wrote: Yeah it's scrapped on the surface but how do we know that the wear and tear of trains rushing over it won't lead to structural damage?
It will be made of a very high strength steel, it would take a lot of wear and tear to actually damage the track, this is just the paint layer that has come off, very unlikely to have been anything else, I would like to know what caused this though.
Themeparksandy1981

A few things I like to ask:

1) When a theme park plan there queue lines how size do they know how to make it? How do they know if it's big enough?

2) With the 18m budget does that also include marketing&delays?

On the subject of coasters 2 good examples of coasters with the same budget

1) The Smiler good looking coaster with 14 loops,2 lift hills so I say 16m of it has been on just track and trains.

2) The Mummy Universal Studios Singspore just a basic coaster track with no loops so around 3m for the track layout but what makes it a good coaster is the high standard of theming and effects.
JBragg1

How many trains are on the track
mike_roller

Themeparksandy1981 wrote:
2) With the 18m budget does that also include marketing&delays?
Almost definitely and probably even the spruce up of X-Sector itself. The more is costs the better it sounds.
Barty

As promised here is a photo update from today on a wet but still very exciting park! There was quite a bit going on today, with painting, themeing and moving the cars about on track! Apologies in advance for some of the quality of some of the images (they were taken from my S3!)

To begin, the view from the toilet block

A bit of work was going on the vertical hill but it is now mainly inspection suggesting the hill is finally done!

Painting the mesh (which looks amazing)

Finishing touches including themeing in pit, new signs and a few new licks of paint including on the track (which you will be pleased to hear) :)

Finally, some overview shots in an attempt to put things in scale for those who haven't been

Almost forgot... they have even invested in their own smiler themed cherry picker!

A panorama of the whole coaster!

After seeing the smiler pretty much complete today, i can easily say this is the best rollercoaster i have ever seen! The smiler is huge but so compact at the same time, to try to size things up the marmaliser tv screen is probably tall enough to fit an average size 15 year old in. When you see it, it is so compact and cleverly designed and everything fits together perfectly! The themeing is amazing, the cars are amazing, the marmaliser is amazing and so is the queueline. Even without riding this thing, I can tell that this ride is never going to get boring! I think they have been testing tonight since whilst I was there they were moving trains into the station and moving some into the maintenance shed. Also when I asked construction members whether we were going to see testing they said you will have to wait and see...

So after my rambling, I hope you like the photos and please stop moaning about parts of this ride because there is really nothing wrong with it! If you don't believe me, go and see it for yourself :))

If you have any questions about the site feel free to PM me :) And please remember to smile. Always..
JAMMYD777

Great photo's Barty.

It's all coming together now (finally)! I can see this opening within a few days as long as testing has gone smoothly. One thing that does concern me is why the remaining fencing by the entry to the double barrel roll still hasn't gone in. They just left gaps and stopped installing it. Still though, that should be a quick job.
SW7:
andywhit

coastercrazy18 wrote: i just love the fact that the U.S.A spend at least £30 to £50 million on there roller coasters and we only spent £18 million  for the smiler and its as good in theming, got one of the longest tracks in the world and got the most loops than any other roller coaster in the world. big thanks to John Wardly.

err..... its a jolly good looking coaster but it certainly not up there with the best themed in the world which would be expected with that budget. its good themeing but not on the scale of the mega budgets....
Danny

So the ride itself is fully working ready for the public so now w are just waiting for finishing touches, could see soft openings from midday tomorrow onwards! :) keeping positive as I'm going Thursday :)
andywhit

Im going in September? should i not get my hopes up  :shock:
XXBENNXX

danny.g97 wrote: So the ride itself is fully working ready for the public so now w are just waiting for finishing touches, could see soft openings from midday tomorrow onwards! :) keeping positive as I'm going Thursday :)
who was your email from?
Danny

Can't remember the name. Will check tomorrow :)
Benji

I don't know if anybody knows this, but are they going to pave the queueline or just keep it as a concrete block?

Thanks to Lewis for the sig!
coliver

Benji wrote: I don't know if anybody knows this, but are they going to pave the queueline or just keep it as a concrete block?
I would imagine they would keep it as concrete to give the area a harsh experimental sanctuary style look. Also it will save them money and time.

I defo think it will be opening before end of may unless they have anymore major problems... It would be sooo freepy (creepy/ freaky) if the 51373 (smile - 5/31/13) theory became true  :O
SMILE = 53173 = 5/31/13
IT'S OPEN :)
Ryster

TheSmiler1998 wrote: Yeah it's scrapped on the surface but how do we know that the wear and tear of trains rushing over it won't lead to structural damage?
Physics and Mathematics. The rubber/plastic on the wheels is softer than the steel track (though not the paint, obviously), the wheels would break before the steel track does. In addition, all the G-forces have been mathematically calculated by experts at the manufacturer, also the steel will be rated much higher in strength than is actually required for the maths.
MatthewR1990

Ryster wrote:
Physics and Mathematics. The rubber/plastic on the wheels is softer than the steel track (though not the paint, obviously), the wheels would break before the steel track does. In addition, all the G-forces have been mathematically calculated by experts at the manufacturer, also the steel will be rated much higher in strength than is actually required for the maths.
Steel is ridiculously touch stuff. Believe me. I'm a tool steel engineer. The tolerances that steel can work under are often immense. I use a milling machine that clamps steel under a 3 ton press. Over the space of about 10 mm square. To put that into perspective that's the weight of 2 family cars on a space no bigger than the whole in the middle of a DVD.
West Bromwich Albion until I die! I bleed blue and white.
RCandrew

It would be sooo freepy (creepy/ freaky) if the 51373 (smile - 5/31/13) theory became true  :O
Huhhh.... What?? :lol:

EDIT: I get it! I think you meant 53173! That would be wierd though ;)
Last edited by RCandrew on Wed May 29, 2013 1:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ripsaw Raver

well its probably worth stating that Alton Towers official site still says JOIN US MAY2013 Sooo seeming that there is only 2 days left they aint got long
CHECK OUT MY FLICKR PHOTOSTREAM
http://www.flickr.com/photos/djthorpeimages/

Why is Nemesis Inferno really Inferior
MitchHawker Steel CoasterPoll 2012
Nemesis at #12
Nemesis Inferno at#123