The Smiler - Construction Discussion

Smile always. New for 2013.
nemesis_nut

Static Veins wrote: Well now we know what the crane's for - putting a train on the track:

From TowersStreet Facebook.

This has to be a good sign, right? RIGHT?!

Thatll be why I saw the carriages disappearing yesterday, anyone know why they were taken off??? Possibility they are new but i doubt it, im guessing tweeks.
Static Veins

James97 wrote:
Static Veins wrote: Well now we know what the crane's for - putting a train on the track:

*SNIP*

my question is, are they new trains?.
I'm hoping so. They only put 4 out of the 5 trains on in the end before, didn't they? Actually, I'm pretty sure it's new because you can see plastic on the seats still - something that was taken off all the other trains I believe.

It could also be the train that stalled (if that rumour is true at all) or one that has been for repair/adjustments.
Hitch

nemesis_nut wrote:

Thatll be why I saw the carriages disappearing yesterday, anyone know why they were taken off??? Possibility they are new but i doubt it, im guessing tweeks.
I think your missing my point, did these trains stall, and thats why they are being moved.
nemesis_nut

Trains stalling, I dont know if thats been confirmed at all, thought that was a rumour Anyone know?
Hitch

nemesis_nut wrote: Trains stalling, I dont know if thats been confirmed at all, thought that was a rumour Anyone know?
No confirmation, but I dont see the need of closing the x sector for a day to move a car of the brake run.
Astro61201

training wheels being removed perhaps?
Last edited by Astro61201 on Sat May 25, 2013 11:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
cant wait!, cant wait!, cant wait! :uk:
nemesis_nut

Benji wrote: Apparently x-sector was closed today due to one of the smiler trains stalling, and the crane was brought in to get the stranded train round the track - source, TowersStreet Facebook page
TSFB page an official AT thing?

I can only assume the crane was being used in an area in X sector that would break health and safety regs.
Hitch

Astro61201 wrote: training wheels being removed perhaps?
they have a maintenance shed for that though, there would be no need to take them of the track by crane.
Altontowersbarlow

Towers street were the ones who used an old photo to try and prove fences were being removed :D
SamPowell

AT's website has been updated. The smiler wont open All bank holiday weekend.
JAMMYD777

Not good for AT. Maybe this will be the kick that Merlin need to start investing and properly planning their ride development.
SW7:
JordanGriffin

altontowersbarlow wrote: Towers street were the ones who used an old photo to try and prove fences were being removed :D
You can see the height restriction board in this photo, plus it's a sunny day. So I think it's real and would explain why the ride is closed.
W@LLI$

SamPowell wrote: AT's website has been updated. The smiler wont open All bank holiday weekend.
Alton Towers are now taking the mick! I support them in everything they do but this is going to ruin them! Bank holiday weekend is probably going to be busy, very busy! As much as I wanted this ride to be finished I am losing my interest in it now!  :x
#GETCORRECTED
BETTER NOT GO ALONE
[url=http://"http://ridesims.com/users/4791-cawallis123/"]Image[/url]
ponder

I'm not sure whether this adds any fuel to the 'stalling' fire, but when at Thorpe Park 2 weeks ago, Saw was down all day as it had stalled on the overbank after the Immelman during testing that morning. I believe it's not the first time, and I'm still not sure how it's possible to stall there - but it was there all day, with another train held at the top of the vertical lift.

Seems to be a potential Gertslauer glitch...

As for Alton Towers and them advertising an opening date, well, I can totally understand people's frustration and anger. A lot of people travel long distances to visit Alton Towers, and will book hotels and days off work weeks and months in advance. Towers gave a clear opening date and there was no reason to suspect there would be major issues. Sure, some of us might anticipate some down-time, but for the coaster not to open at all 3 days after it's advertised opening date is a poor showing indeed. To be honest, even without the weather over winter, I can't see there being any way they could have ever opened for the start of season - they've always appeared to  be a long way behind schedule with this project.

As for how they've handled it, reports from on park would suggest they have a lot of angry customers on their hands, and offering return tickets is not much compensation for people who've travelled long distances, booked time off work and incurred fuel costs etc. Customer service is the most important part of being in the service industry, and they've failed pretty badly on all counts here.

I understand why enthusiasts are defensive of Alton Towers, but the general public simply don't have your level of knowledge around theme parks, coasters and potential problems. They will see it advertised on the TV, the huge level of coverage in the national media over the last fortnight, and plan their visit. So I totally empathise with their situation.

Loop - Roller coaster and Theme Park inspired T-shirts
http://looptees.com / https://www.facebook.com/looptps
JBragg1

The photos that towers street put on are very  resent because it has got the 1.4 thing up and it has got the old test dumies.
Stern John

jbuckton18 wrote:
Stern John wrote: I'll bet with anyone that The Smiler will not be open this weekend including Monday.
I will also say that it won't be fully operational (ie running on or near capacity) until June at the earliest.
Ill bet you a few quid it will open sometime this weekend ( Sunday or Monday ) ? ;)
Told you so!
Least you've saved a few quid!:P
A

W@LLI$ wrote:
SamPowell wrote: AT's website has been updated. The smiler wont open All bank holiday weekend.
Alton Towers are now taking the mick! I support them in everything they do but this is going to ruin them! Bank holiday weekend is probably going to be busy, very busy! As much as I wanted this ride to be finished I am losing my interest in it now!  :x
I wouldn't say it'll ruin them but it's certainly doing a good job of ****ing off (sorry mods, but there really is no other way to describe it) the enthusiast community
I'm not completely useless, I can be used as a bad example :P
PA1234

ponder wrote: I'm not sure whether this adds any fuel to the 'stalling' fire, but when at Thorpe Park 2 weeks ago, Saw was down all day as it had stalled on the overbank after the Immelman during testing that morning. I believe it's not the first time, and I'm still not sure how it's possible to stall there - but it was there all day, with another train held at the top of the vertical lift.

Seems to be a potential Gertslauer glitch...

As for Alton Towers and them advertising an opening date, well, I can totally understand people's frustration and anger. A lot of people travel long distances to visit Alton Towers, and will book hotels and days off work weeks and months in advance. Towers gave a clear opening date and there was no reason to suspect there would be major issues. Sure, some of us might anticipate some down-time, but for the coaster not to open at all 3 days after it's advertised opening date is a poor showing indeed. To be honest, even without the weather over winter, I can't see there being any way they could have ever opened for the start of season - they've always appeared to  be a long way behind schedule with this project.

As for how they've handled it, reports from on park would suggest they have a lot of angry customers on their hands, and offering return tickets is not much compensation for people who've travelled long distances, booked time off work and incurred fuel costs etc. Customer service is the most important part of being in the service industry, and they've failed pretty badly on all counts here.

I understand why enthusiasts are defensive of Alton Towers, but the general public simply don't have your level of knowledge around theme parks, coasters and potential problems. They will see it advertised on the TV, the huge level of coverage in the national media over the last fortnight, and plan their visit. So I totally empathise with their situation.
Couldn't have summed it up better myself.

Hardly post here but I've been following this forum for the smiler construction.

Me and my friend booked a last minute trip down from Glasgow. Spent money on flights, trains, accommodation for 3 nights for 2 days at alton towers. Spent a fortune actually. And for absolutely NOTHING. We are going to write a letter to alton towers and complain because we booked to come down purely to ride The Smiler. We have a number of things to complain about as well as The Smiler because staff were extremely unhelpful, the rides were always breaking down and SO HELP ME GOD they closed off the bloody x-sector!! Which made queues even more unbearable and we couldn't ride oblivion. RAGGGGEEEE
nemesis_nut

JordanGriffin wrote: You can see the height restriction board in this photo, plus it's a sunny day. So I think it's real and would explain why the ride is closed.
The fact a crane was used to take a train off, was probably the main reason its closed. If the pictures old, and about the fences, thats probably been sorted
MatthewR1990

Hmm seems to point towards H&S again though. As many have mentioned. They won't work BH's so it will be Wednesday I think now. God I hope it's open by the Wednesday after. It's when I go! :/
West Bromwich Albion until I die! I bleed blue and white.