The Smiler - Construction Discussion

Smile always. New for 2013.
Evostance

lewis97 wrote: This is quoted from Theme Park Collective's FB page, make of it what you want, but it seems there is something quite drastic going on...
A FRIEND OF MINE AT THE TOWERS HAS HEARD THIS FROM A MEMBER OF STAFF ...............All of x sector is closed due to 1 thing, all electric is off in the area as a result of works currently being done on the smiler. Staff are now saying they hope to be all up and running by this afternoon, watch this space....tf
Take everything with a pinch of salt from them.  They're the ones who told us the ride sped up and slowed down depending on facial recognition
stu1980

i have commented a few times already on this topic and feel now after reading today i should once more.

i have VERY mixed views on this delay - let me make it clear im not a coaster fan but feel i would like to add my thoughts as i am a very big fan of the park.

From planning to building etc takes years to do and yes Alton have made a real mess of this one. But things like snow and ice cant be helped.

Customer Service are being praised for the way they are dealing with this and thats good front line staff dealing well with what must be one hell of a issue.

However - Alton are trying to play it safe by not giving out much info and dates but this is not really working in my views.

I here today and have be reading that x sector is shut fully today - so that is 3 or 4 if you include the Smiler rides out of the window today.

I hate to say this but the towers them self are handling this issue very bad.

Merlin as many of us know are 2nd to Disney who must be loving this at time of press.

However the person i feel most for is poor John (who we all know by name some in person) must be feeling really sad and upset by what is going on - his BIG last ever ride under massive issues and delays. My thoughts are with him.

All in all would this stop me going to the park - not really - i,ve watched the smiler from the start and cant wait to see the product roll round the track. But Alton seen to be getting to grips fast that this is having a really bad view of the park and now in my eyes all the park can do is do damage limitation and get the job done.

RE x sector closed - i do not think that is the right choice but then the work or what ever they are doing may mean it needs to be they wont just close a massive part of the park for no reason.

I also feel and think if they said say June 1st for opening of the Smiler and it opened May 23rd everyone would over the moon i think its more the fact people are being left hanging and dont know whats going on now.

Alton being Alton will pull this off and shock us all its the Alton way :)
Has the magic gone for me - yep almost!
arE Y0u R3AdY t0 Sm1Le?

I think it's going to be open when I go! I'm going July 16th....
Haha ;)
Jealousy, turning saints into the sea
Swimming through sick lullabies
Choking on your alibis

But it's just the price I pay
Destiny is calling me
Open up my eager eyes
‘Cause I'm Mr. Brightside
davebwindsor

My God Man Have you been living under a rock for the last month!!!!
There are no more secrets!!!
jbragg1 wrote:
jackandylan123 wrote:
jbragg1 wrote: the smiler has been testing at night because yesterday one car was on each lift hill. Alton towers may have started doing something to do with a worlds first and i don't think they want the public to see.
we have already seen testing videos, and yes there is a worlds first tha they have been trying to hide since construction finished...14 inversions :lol:
there could be more worlds first's
RubyGaga

dazza4783 wrote:
RubyGaga wrote: Lets place our bets!
£100 itll open in June
I'll be there on the 13th June, so i really hope it is open by then. It does seem rediculous that it was originally planned to be open on March 16th, almost 2 and a half months have passed and we still don't know when it will actually open. Very bad planning especially if you consider how long ago the black hole tent was taken down. Even worse when you consider how long it was standing empty for.
If the rumours of the planned B&M for the Air car park not being ready and having to be hastily replaced with this, then it does go some way to excusing the fact that this has been delayed, but even then if you consider when the plans were approved then ground work should have started a long time before it actually did.
Were booking for the 12th/13th tonight. Very skeptical about doing so though...

Image ImageImageImage
mixer114

davebwindsor wrote: My God Man Have you been living under a rock for the last month!!!!
There are no more secrets!!!
jbragg1 wrote:
jackandylan123 wrote: we have already seen testing videos, and yes there is a worlds first tha they have been trying to hide since construction finished...14 inversions :lol:
there could be more worlds first's
You wrong there dave the secret is WHEN IS IT GONNA OPEN ha ha
Last edited by mixer114 on Fri May 24, 2013 1:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Stern John

I'll bet with anyone that The Smiler will not be open this weekend including Monday.
I will also say that it won't be fully operational (ie running on or near capacity) until June at the earliest.
jbuckton18

Stern John wrote: I'll bet with anyone that The Smiler will not be open this weekend including Monday.
I will also say that it won't be fully operational (ie running on or near capacity) until June at the earliest.
Ill bet you a few quid it will open sometime this weekend ( Sunday or Monday ) ? ;)
Some say they've seen angels, Ive seen The Smiler - That's enough
Stern John

I don't really want to take your money and add insult to injury!
How about an "I told you so"?
RCandrew

I bet they will open it next Friday, the last day in may.
jordanc14

I really wish that they could give us a date. I'm obviously annoyed, and I know that they can't work wonders, but I wish we also got an explanation! I can make it any day, it's just the planning involved! Not happy at all.
Hitch

There communication at the moment is absolutely terrible, The reason people are angry is because they leave till last minute to say the "smiler wont be opening tomorrow" everyday, there is no good reason or explanation for these "teething problems" other than the fact the site isnt ready, which they have yet to admit. its so frustrating that they wont just be honest and give us a date so we know for sure when it will open. rant over.
jbuckton18

jordanc14 wrote: I really wish that they could give us a date. I'm obviously annoyed, and I know that they can't work wonders, but I wish we also got an explanation! I can make it any day, it's just the planning involved! Not happy at all.
Now you see i think AT have a very strong idea as to what date they want it to open by. I think they already know ! Its just they wouldn't risk announcing it just in case they miss another deadline causing more damage to the rep of the park ! It was a massive mistake announcing May 23rd as the actual date it was gonna be open for ! Huge mistake ! They could just of said May or June and dont give an exact date so they technically not lying but announcing the date and hoping for it to be ready by then is one of the worst things you can do. If you know 100% sure of the date then you should announce the date but AT couldnt of been 100% sure.
Katherine

I can say when they do open it, even though It might be half term, it won't give people time to book time off if they're working so I don't imagine it to be as busy as it would be compared to if it was open this weekend.
Last edited by Katherine on Fri May 24, 2013 1:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jbuckton18

UPDATE !!!! Just come off the phone to AT and they have told me that management have said they working towards a Soft opening sometime on sunday and a 'grand' opening on Monday. This is what ive just been told by AT themselves but they still told me to check the website regularly for any changes to be confirmed.!

Read into that what you will.
Hitch

jbuckton18 wrote: UPDATE !!!! Just come off the phone to AT and they have told me that management have said they working towards a Soft opening sometime on sunday and a 'grand' opening on Monday. This is what ive just been told by AT themselves but they still told me to check the website regularly for any changes to be confirmed.!

if they open it sunday afternoon I will be so happy, seriously. [-o<
Stern John

jbuckton18 wrote: UPDATE !!!! Just come off the phone to AT and they have told me that management have said they working towards a Soft opening sometime on sunday and a 'grand' opening on Monday. This is what ive just been told by AT themselves but they still told me to check the website regularly for any changes to be confirmed.!

Yeah... they were "working towards" 23rd May too!
youarecorrectsir

Yes, they have had months to build it and they have had months to plan and everything but can you imagine how damn difficult it must be to guess when it will be open!?

It's hardly outrageous, they're trying to get it open ASAP and they made an honest mistake! I don't understand how people can be so abusive and attacking - we're all on the same side!! Alton Towers included.

They've spent £18million on a brand new, world beating monster of a coaster; they overrun by a couple of days and people are saying they are outraged! lol it baffles me.
[align=center]"Everybody dies, but not everybody lives"[/align]
jbuckton18

Stern John wrote:

Yeah... they were "working towards" 23rd May too!
hey ! Don't shoot the messenger ! They just said they are hopeful and working towards a sunday soft opening and a grand opening on monday but who's to say ? I was just saying what they told me :)
jbuckton18

youarecorrectsir wrote: Yes, they have had months to build it and they have had months to plan and everything but can you imagine how damn difficult it must be to guess when it will be open!?

It's hardly outrageous, they're trying to get it open ASAP and they made an honest mistake! I don't understand how people can be so abusive and attacking - we're all on the same side!! Alton Towers included.

They've spent £18million on a brand new, world beating monster of a coaster; they overrun by a couple of days and people are saying they are outraged! lol it baffles me.
Sorry but firstly they didnt run over by a 'few days' they run over by 2 months from the original date !!! :/