The Smiler - Construction Discussion

Smile always. New for 2013.
Stern John

Danny wrote: After seeing the site yesterday, there is no chance of a soft opening today. On the day it was supposed to open, it was still a construction site. The fact there is now a crane on site pretty much states there will not be any form of opening for The Smiler today. Infact, I'd go as far to say it won't be opening this weekend.
I agree.
I don't think the effects are going to be an issue here it's the process of getting thousands of people through this ride that looks very unlikely in the next few days.
Mattfat1

there we have it. Altons website,

Won't be open the 25th
Boz

I know I'm breaking my own guidelines here but... FFS!  :anger: :punch:
fabiasimon

Mattfat1 wrote: there we have it. Altons website,

Won't be open the 25th
Just seen this......I think the teething problems are more serious than rumours suggest!!
demz_4

This is becoming embarrassing  :| How can they really be that far out with there opening day. its mad! Who the hell decided thursday would be the day when there is soooo much work yet to be done!??? thats what i want to know
lozzyhickers

Truly, truly gutted. Now, if this ends up opening before I leave to go back home on Wednesday, I am not going to be a happy bunny  :( I know it's probably in the interests of safety, but this is very poor planning. I know where I'll be heading first thing tomorrow...guest services...
Liam B

this is just becoming ridiculous. What the hell are they up to? Yeah am not actually going to July but the amount of people that would've planned to come over this bank holiday just to ride the smiler are going to be severely disappointed. It's false advertising! And yeah you can refund people's tickets but the cost of travelling these days is ridiculous! what about us that live in Scotland? costs a ridiculous amount to actually get there and then for someone to tell you "aw yeah we thought it would open but somethings gone wrong that we can't tell you and we cant give you a date of when its going to open so we are just standing here doing nothing now....". Really really terrible management.
Hitch

Im going on sunday, but if it isnt open tomorrow then there isnt much hope really. dammit.  :cry:
EDIT: I would appreciate it if they dropped the whole "teething problems" act tbh
Static Veins

I'm surprised. I really thought with the closed X Sector (and a presumed knuckling down of construction) we'd see an actual opening date given today. I definitely thought we'd see it open for the Bank Holiday weekend. I know there's still Sunday and Monday, but still.

Disappointed.
RubyGaga

Lets place our bets!
£100 itll open in June

Image ImageImageImage
arE Y0u R3AdY t0 Sm1Le?

Right I have been saying the whole time it's not there fault, but this is becoming pathetic! Alton are not even trying to push production forwards and they are lying to us! I know they wouldn't do it if they did not HAVE to but it's getting beyond a joke now, but I still feel some sympathy Alton but ahhh stuggeling to find the words here ;)
It's just bugs I guess they can just tell us the truth! They losing out on there magic and it will soon be forgotten ( by the GP ) so a whole advertising will be needed again...
I'm quite upset but im sure they are too and altleast it will be finished and not rushed or half done when people ride it....
( again my awful memory forgot what else to say ;)
Jealousy, turning saints into the sea
Swimming through sick lullabies
Choking on your alibis

But it's just the price I pay
Destiny is calling me
Open up my eager eyes
‘Cause I'm Mr. Brightside
jbuckton18

RubyGaga wrote: Lets place our bets!
£100 itll open in June
100 quid !? You're on ! I'm going for Bank holiday monday £10
Some say they've seen angels, Ive seen The Smiler - That's enough
SwEDEN

James97 wrote: Im going on sunday, but if it isnt open tomorrow then there isnt much hope really. dammit.  :cry:
EDIT: I would appreciate it if they dropped the whole "teething problems" act tbh
Yeah same here... I can't be the only person who actually wants to know what's wrong with the machine. (appart from the disabled exit's which was too my own knowledge until yesterday the only problem with the ride.)
lewis97
Admin
Admin

This is quoted from Theme Park Collective's FB page, make of it what you want, but it seems there is something quite drastic going on...
A FRIEND OF MINE AT THE TOWERS HAS HEARD THIS FROM A MEMBER OF STAFF ...............All of x sector is closed due to 1 thing, all electric is off in the area as a result of works currently being done on the smiler. Staff are now saying they hope to be all up and running by this afternoon, watch this space....tf
arE Y0u R3AdY t0 Sm1Le?

Static Veins wrote: I'm surprised. I really thought with the closed X Sector (and a presumed knuckling down of construction) we'd see an actual opening date given today. I definitely thought we'd see it open for the Bank Holiday weekend. I know there's still Sunday and Monday, but still.

Disappointed.
Hopefully the are making some needed upgrades to the x sector, mainly the Rhydrator!
But too be honest I would rather have them reprinting it during an open times, so we can ride the smiler sooner!!!! ;)
Choking on your alibis

Destiny is calling me
Open up my eager eyes
arE Y0u R3AdY t0 Sm1Le?

lewis97 wrote: This is quoted from Theme Park Collective's FB page, make of it what you want, but it seems there is something quite drastic going on...
A FRIEND OF MINE AT THE TOWERS HAS HEARD THIS FROM A MEMBER OF STAFF ...............All of x sector is closed due to 1 thing, all electric is off in the area as a result of works currently being done on the smiler. Staff are now saying they hope to be all up and running by this afternoon, watch this space....tf
I would rather take Alton's word to be honest, well not that it's been great lately but they have kept to there word on the delays!  :roll:
Choking on your alibis

Destiny is calling me
Open up my eager eyes
mixer114

lewis97 wrote: This is quoted from Theme Park Collective's FB page, make of it what you want, but it seems there is something quite drastic going on...
must be something to do with  the new sub station that could be the reason the had to dig some trenches to get to cables

makes sense tbh they have been having power problems in that area since the park reopened. just wish AT would comment on the teething troubles that might help a bit with the PR and the GP might have a bit more confidence in AT
Last edited by mixer114 on Fri May 24, 2013 1:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Benb

Just read over the FAQ here: http://www.altontowers.com/the-smiler-faqs/

I have already booked tickets for 25th May what should I do?       

The Alton Towers Resort has over 50 amazing rides and attractions which are open for our visitors to enjoy. Guests who have booked tickets for 25th May to specifically ride The Smiler can have them revalidated for another visit during the season. There is no need to contact us, simply turn up and your ticket will be accepted at the gate.

I am planning to visit this weekend, will The Smiler be open? 

The Alton Towers Resort has over 50 amazing rides and attractions which are open for our visitors to enjoy. If you are visiting this weekend specifically to ride The Smiler, keep an eye on this page and we will update it with the latest information on a regular basis.

I have booked a hotel stay for next week, what should I do? 

Whilst the Resort does have over 50 rides and attractions, if you are visiting to ride The Smiler, we will be happy to change the date of your stay, free of charge. Please call us on 0871 2221100 and one of our team will arrange this for you. 

Over 50 amazing rides and attractions! - so amazing in fact that they had to remind us three times. Anyone else feel the spark of desperation in their tone when writing this FAQ?...
Gax

I think its about time Alton Towers were a bit more honest here. Three days of updating the website with news that it will be closed the next day is pretty disrespectful really, I appreciate that they just want to get it open soon as and therefore are playing things by ear, but people have invested time and money in coming to ride this so they should really be given some clearer answers.
Plus, as somebody else has already said I wish they would drop this whole teething problems act and be a bit more transparent, I think it would quash a lot of the negativity if they were.
dazza4783

RubyGaga wrote: Lets place our bets!
£100 itll open in June
I'll be there on the 13th June, so i really hope it is open by then. It does seem rediculous that it was originally planned to be open on March 16th, almost 2 and a half months have passed and we still don't know when it will actually open. Very bad planning especially if you consider how long ago the black hole tent was taken down. Even worse when you consider how long it was standing empty for.
If the rumours of the planned B&M for the Air car park not being ready and having to be hastily replaced with this, then it does go some way to excusing the fact that this has been delayed, but even then if you consider when the plans were approved then ground work should have started a long time before it actually did.