The Smiler - Construction Discussion

Smile always. New for 2013.
Markwood71

Also , work men removing a tarp from under V lift hill as I walked pass ....
Too much " Fetteling" still going on.
Superman

mikecloud1984 wrote: ---
And building left so late is not their fault.. Look you have your views i was expressing mine (but not through rose tinted Alton towers shaped glasses).

If the ride advert says its open on the 23rd on tv adverts and has not been open to the public at all by the 23rd then they have in my opinion failed and mislead the public because its not an operational fault its not even run for the public.
Last edited by Superman on Thu May 23, 2013 5:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Heisenberg96

I'm sorry but if the scale of this problem is large enough to break into early June there's no excuse. If it could go on that long it's clearly serious and somebody should have issued the warning about a week ago.

See people are saying on here that there's too much moaning going on, but if you've been excited for months about this ride and travelled across the country just to go on it and find out it isn't open...don't lie and tell me you'd be fine with that. The opening date said 23rd, so when should it have opened? 23rd.

I'm not blaming AT for faults because that can't be helped, and I'm not saying if it doesn't open on the expected date that it ruins the ride, but it's not acceptable to announce a delay 24 hours beforehand. It wasn't on TV or the advert and AT made it out to be only a minor delay.

A delay of this scale on a ride of this scale should be properly organised, especially somewhere as big as Alton Towers.
Hitch

I really hope they paint those pieces of track that got grinded, there starting to go real rusty.
Edit: Ive also noticed on one of the towersnerd videos that the trim brake fins are retracted all the way, thats a good sign.
Last edited by Hitch on Thu May 23, 2013 5:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jadiibeth

Tried to refrain from posting for a while, as I was meant to be on park today for the smiler opening (gutted), but after seeing the comments on here I just want to have a little opinion on it myself for a change...  :')

The one thing I don't agree with is the manner AT has actually handled it...id love to get a list of these 50+ rides and attractions we can enjoy? most likely including the toilets... I understand that the TV ad cannot be removed but really, the FAQ's are ridiculous and unhelpful, and less than 24 hours before is cutting it a bit fine, and whichever way you look at it AT have shot themselves in the foot, both with reputation, reliability and with general services.
Revalidating tickets and hotel stays however is highly commendable, given the "all rides subject to availability" small print, they shouldnt have to. I find it amazingly stupid to see people messaging the AT facebook asking for refunds on external hotels etc! but again....

The fact that you call up and even a few hours after the announcement was made there were still staff saying via the phone that it was still due to open today.... come on? communication? I work for a massive company myself, bet365, different circumstances I am aware, however any issues are rapidly passed through the business within minutes, not hours. Personally i chose not to bother calling, I wasn't prepared to rely on the response! I find other sources more reliable :')

So I dont know, my hype has almost gone, when it opens, it opens. Whatever the issue, be in H&S, finishing off, problems, anything, I no longer wish to read into it, people read into things far too much. Whenever it opens it does, and i'll be there.
Thankyou to everyone on TT for having great updates too! genuinely Ive kept an eye on the issue here more than anywhere else :)
Although im keeping off the facebook pages, all of them....
The amount of illiterate, arrogant people on there...... wow.

keep smiling everyone.... and sit tight :)
glen191

It's sounds like painting the bits of track is the least of AT worries ,does anyone the real reason the smiler is not working, I still think its something to do with that support at the end of the first lift.
lewis97
Admin
Admin

From TowersNerd Live: A photo which shows one of the scannable AR images...

Joshysqaushy

lewis97 wrote: From TowersNerd Live: A photo which shows one of the scannable AR images...

*Skips off to go and get the smiler app running*
DONCASTER ADVENTURE PARKS NEW COASTER
TRAILER:
UPDATES: http://forum.towerstimes.co.uk/viewtopi ... 8&start=40
aircanman

There is a chance the contractor for the job has hit the £18,000,000 budget which is why things have slowed down, do agree that although this kind of thing will happen, Alton need to get management together and make sure all the people are treated professionally, because a lot of customers will be disappointed with the smiler not being open, and judging by todays issues (sonic, rita, thirteen, oblivion) being closed, they are not handling this very well......
SwEDEN

Joshysqaushy wrote:
lewis97 wrote: From TowersNerd Live: A photo which shows one of the scannable AR images...

*Skips off to go and get the smiler app running*
Doesn't work, too small :( (that's what she said)
stu1980

im saying 3 words and only 3 words and thats all and i,ll take the back lash like an adult.

Bring Back Tussauds

- they no how to run a park.

Thats All
Has the magic gone for me - yep almost!
Oblividoom

*know.

Teething problems happened also when Tussauds was in charge. Nothing to do with Merlin.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
aress

Aww man a close-up of any scannable AR codes would be great!!! There's a mission for you guys who are lucky enough to live near Alton Towers! :)
stu1980

Oblividoom wrote: *know.

Teething problems happened also when Tussauds was in charge. Nothing to do with Merlin.
No comment
aress

stu1980 wrote: im saying 3 words and only 3 words and thats all and i,ll take the back lash like an adult.

Bring Back Tussauds

Thats All
...they also no how to spell "know"! lol sorry, couldn't resist it, so much terrible grammar in here!  :lol:
JBragg1

the smiler has been testing at night because yesterday one car was on each lift hill. Alton towers may have started doing something to do with a worlds first and i don't think they want the public to see. 
Jack

jbragg1 wrote: the smiler has been testing at night because yesterday one car was on each lift hill. Alton towers may have started doing something to do with a worlds first and i don't think they want the public to see.
we have already seen testing videos, and yes there is a worlds first tha they have been trying to hide since construction finished...14 inversions :lol:
Jadiibeth

stu1980 wrote: im saying 3 words and only 3 words and thats all and i,ll take the back lash like an adult.

Bring Back Tussauds

Thats All
I'm more than certain it makes minimal difference who is running the park. Merlin run towers amazingly well, given the scale etc.... im saying that because I couldnt do it myself. Teething problems with new rides happen under anyone's watch.
Might aswell point the finger and say bring in someone like intamin rather then Gerst if thats the case...
problems are problems, whatever the management or constructor.
IMO.
JBragg1

jackandylan123 wrote:
jbragg1 wrote: the smiler has been testing at night because yesterday one car was on each lift hill. Alton towers may have started doing something to do with a worlds first and i don't think they want the public to see.
we have already seen testing videos, and yes there is a worlds first tha they have been trying to hide since construction finished...14 inversions :lol:
there could be more worlds first's
stu1980

Jadiibeth wrote:

Bring Back Tussauds

Thats All
I'm more than certain it makes minimal difference who is running the park. Merlin run towers amazingly well, given the scale etc.... im saying that because I couldnt do it myself. Teething problems with new rides happen under anyone's watch.
Might aswell point the finger and say bring back intamin rather then Gerst if thats the case...
problems are problems, whatever the management or constructor.
IMO.
I am just having my say on the matter and its my thoughts thats all just mine :)