The Smiler - Construction Discussion

Smile always. New for 2013.
aress

Well I was only trying to look on the positive side, but thanks for shooting me down!  :lol:
richard.s

fishdalf wrote: The day before release is completely unacceptable to announce this. I had 1 holiday day left for the entire year for work and now I have none left and no time to change the date. I've already spent money on packed lunch and £50 on my car to make sure it's up for the drive tomorrow. I've been following this every single hour of every single day since the first spade in the ground and I feel absolutely sick. Money is tight, I have tickets where the date can't be changed, nor is it possible now to go with the people again that we are supposed to be going down with. If this is something like they haven't had time to finish everything after announcing a date then this is unacceptable, if it's obviously due to a breakdown that can't physically be fixed by tomorrow then fair enough, but either way I'm gutted beyond belief.
Unfortunate, yes. Unacceptable, no.

Using common sense and a tiny bit of logic - you would presume that it would be a matter of health & safety for them to announce the delay so close to the opening time.

Safety waits for no man and his packed lunch I'm afraid.
Rollercoasters4Life

Pretty annoyed with this to be honest. Missus isn't allowed time off at all in May due to where she works but convinced the boss to allow her this once to have it off and now the ride isn't even going to be open. I could understand it if this was 16th March (opening day 2013) and they said it wasn't going to be open. But with it already being 2 months behind schedule and then this - it just takes the biscuit.

They must of known something was up as there was problems on the press night and the following day, then they had things pulled up yesterday. To announce it literally 20 hours before said opening is downright wrong and they could of given people the heads up yesterday. Two days notice is acceptable at a push, 20 hours isn't.

I will still be going Alton Towers tomorrow so say hello to me - to recognise me I will be the one with a sour face while enjoying the other '50 amazing rides and attractions'.

Sigh... :(
Hitch

fishdalf wrote: The day before release is completely unacceptable to announce this. I had 1 holiday day left for the entire year for work and now I have none left and no time to change the date. I've already spent money on packed lunch and £50 on my car to make sure it's up for the drive tomorrow. I've been following this every single hour of every single day since the first spade in the ground and I feel absolutely sick. Money is tight, I have tickets where the date can't be changed, nor is it possible now to go with the people again that we are supposed to be going down with. If this is something like they haven't had time to finish everything after announcing a date then this is unacceptable, if it's obviously due to a breakdown that can't physically be fixed by tomorrow then fair enough, but either way I'm gutted beyond belief.
I know this isnt really much help but your tickets will be valid for another day during this season.  :cry:
Kirsty25

DeanGaryCox wrote: i'm going tomorrow anyway, and am going again 26th june... but just out of interest, if the problem was sorted, do you reckon there could still be a possibility of it opening at some point tomorrow; with the announcement to cover themselves?
We really don't know at the minute, we're waiting to see if the teams on the park can get a better idea of what's happening. It is unlikely to be open but not totally impossible at the moment, depending, of course, on what the problem is.
Static Veins

DeanGaryCox wrote: i'm going tomorrow anyway, and am going again 26th june... but just out of interest, if the problem was sorted, do you reckon there could still be a possibility of it opening at some point tomorrow; with the announcement to cover themselves?
I'd say it's very possible there could be soft openings later in the day, providing the issue causing the delay isn't too major (which, given the possibility of a Friday or weekend opening Alton Towers have hinted, it's likely not to be).
jbuckton18

No. Imagine if it opened tomorrow for a bit and the word got out to all the people that cancelled plans to go because of AT saying it would not be open. It  would cause so many complaints and not worth the hastle ! I think Friday/saturday at the earliest !
Some say they've seen angels, Ive seen The Smiler - That's enough
fishdalf

richard.s wrote:
Unfortunate, yes. Unacceptable, no.

Using common sense and a tiny bit of logic - you would presume that it would be a matter of health & safety for them to announce the delay so close to the opening time.

Safety waits for no man and his packed lunch I'm afraid.
No there's a huge difference between it not opening due to unforeseen circumstances today, which is acceptable, and something that could have been avoided for a variety of other reasons, such as better time management. If its any of the latter it is 100% unequivocally unacceptable to the Nth degree.
RCD27

If they have only just discovered the problem then I don't see what else you expect them to do. I very doubt they have know about the problem and if they did then I'm sure they have been trying to fix it but now they have realised it won't be done in time.
Sonic Saw Stealth Smiler
dazza4783

If i had a ticket to go tomorrow, cancelled my trip to go another day instead, then found out it actually did open at some point tomorrow i think i would be even more peed off.
Tombo

Not happy at all about this.

Days booked off, planning etc bla bla blaaaaaaaaaaaaaa  :evil:  :evil:  :evil:
stretchy

@smiler #GetCorrected
Can I suggest a cross fan site mass booing at 12 tomorrow for all of those people who are on park.
[url=http://"http://www.stretchedmindz.com"]Image[/url]

[url=http://"http://www.secretsantaelf.co.uk"]Image[/url]
fishdalf

James97 wrote:
I know this isnt really much help but your tickets will be valid for another day during this season.  :cry:
They are from the paper and the date is final. All I get from Alton Towers is speak to the paper who aren't interested in the slightest.
mattallennet

darkainur wrote: But guys the Alton Towers resort has over 50 rides and attractions!
I know you say that in jest, but Merlin use this kind of excuse a lot. A bit like 'the MAP costs more this year because there are 2 more Sealifes' and 'the MAP individual sale price last year was £78 this year a family pass is £74 each' (no mention of the individual pass goin up to £99). Or the Ultimate Fasttrack being more expensive than Thorpe's because there are 21 attractions at AT - no mention that there are still only so many hours in a day.

Yes it's still a big park but people were going tomorrow for a specific reason.
At least AT are acknowledging that and making reasonable concessions on this occasion!
DanMcSUFC

I have to say, as disappointed as I am, I'm kinda not surprised that the opening has been delayed. It still does look like a bit of work still needs to be done on the whole site of The Smiler, and of course, they have got a few 'teething issues' that need "correcting" before it opens to the public. Marketing wise, it's not great that they have delayed it, but overall, I'd rather ride The Smiler when it is 100% complete, rather than it being rushed and not fully complete, and I'm fairly sure that a few people on here especially, will agree with this.

Personally, I feel for the people who have booked days off work etc especially to attend the opening day (I almost done the exact same thing!), and to announce this 24 hours before the scheduled opening date is a bit off to be honest, and a lot of people who planned visits are now feeling a bit disappointed. I feel they should have given themselves a little bit more time to allow for these delays, but these things happen - as I said, I'd rather that AT iron out these 'teething issues' now and make sure that everything is running smoothly before opening, rather than making paying customers wait in the queue lines whilst the ride has loads of down-time etc.
mattallennet

darkainur wrote: But guys the Alton Towers resort has over 50 rides and attractions!
I know you say that in jest, but Merlin use this kind of excuse a lot. A bit like 'the MAP costs more this year because there are 2 more Sealifes' and 'the MAP individual sale price last year was £78 this year a family pass is £74 each' (no mention of the individual pass goin up to £99). Or the Ultimate Fasttrack being more expensive than Thorpe's because there are 21 attractions at AT - no mention that there are still only so many hours in a day.

Yes it's still a big park but people were going tomorrow for a specific reason.
At least AT are acknowledging that and making reasonable concessions on this occasion!
DaveBear

Yeah seem like a kick in the (never regions) for some which is a Shame, but i guess its a unforeseen circumstance.

Well i booked to go for the 11th June on a Tuesday and Kids School day, and i did that to allow a few weeks as the ride would be busy in first few weeks and to take into account for any delays as when i booked the Estimated date then was 18th May.

I would still say they would get this problem sorted ASP and they know that this Weekend is a massive one for the Park and having the Smiler open for Bank Holiday must be a priority.

But again we just cant be sure.... i would certainly think they would want it open in May as if its not its not going to do their PR any help....

Anyway maybe this put a smile back on some faces...

Warning may contain foul language....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lMFbfjo9GkA
fiftysevenstudio

RobStandley wrote: Anyone got a tad more insight to the 'teething problems'? What sort of issue/timescale we can be looking at?
hehehhe

I hope not everything in here must be so serious;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=boRWT617mDA
Boz

Considering the circumstances, I'm happy for people to post their gripes and opinions for now. But can I remind everyone that there is no swearing in the forum, and that the best complaints are constructive, not "ranty".

Can I also point out, that some people have had to make a lot of expensive preparations for tomorrow, and to bear that in mind when you are responding to anyone's posts.

Thanks in advance
fabiasimon

I am glad AT have announced this now as would of been fuming if I arrived tommorow for it not to open.
Althouh they may not be able to help the timing of the announcement this is the downside. They have actively been promoting this date for over 3 weeks. Their will be roller coaster enthusiasts travelling from all over the world to ride this.  I know someone travelling from france as we speak.
I won't be there tommorow now but I suggest AT put some extra staff in guest services!!!