The Smiler - Construction Discussion

Smile always. New for 2013.
getothing

I'm sick of seeing negative comments, this ride is incredible, is the beast of alton towers and it is great, possibly the best coaster in the world, your theme is very consistent, modern and gives the feeling of hiding something, do not complain of the station or the theming is great, cry to see this in person and will eat their own words.

the smiler had fx efects ,water,smoke,and lot off ,aand 14 inversions.and a very big robotic spider¡¡ Is the coolest roller coaster in the world.
If an inline twist, tower times team  would not hide ¡¡¡
i want to corrected now ¡
Owen

getothing wrote: I'm sick of seeing negative comments, this ride is incredible, is the beast of alton towers and it is great, possibly the best coaster in the world, your theme is very consistent, modern and gives the feeling of hiding something, do not complain of the station or the theming is great, cry to see this in person and will eat their own words.

the smiler had fx efects ,water,smoke,and lot off ,aand 14 inversions.and a very big robotic spider¡¡ Is the coolest roller coaster in the world.
Sí amigo  :D
bealyboy

Chaz wrote:
PeteB wrote:
Danny wrote: As a nod to the project name, The Smiler features SW7 on the station building [credit to TPW]:

Is that real or just a trick of the camera angle?
Real. All Secret Weapons have a silent 'nod' to their original code name.

Oblivion's is easy to see, Nemesis I believe had since been removed, AIR and Th13teen's has yet to be discovered? Whilst these could be common myths I thinks it's a perfect all-round finish.
What is on oblivion?
SMILE.ALWAYS
TheOutpatient

SwEDEN wrote:
Aren't they smiler bears?
Either smiler bears, or generic bears black, white and yellow  8)
Please visit my blog of original dark ride ideas: http://mattsdesignsblog.wordpress.com/
M3tabolic

CoasterCrazyChris wrote:
ATJordan wrote:
Also, to the people moaning about the theming, stop! Never have I saw such clever theming on a ride before, it is obvious that AT have put a lot of effort into designing this beast, so have some respect. The yellow is NOT tacky, it makes it sinister in the sense that they are making human testing facilities for 'marmilisation' look creepily joyful and happy- its sort if a well thought oxymoron
I'm sorry, but this is slightly delusional thinking.

The yellow has been chosen because it is cheap, they can just paint anything bright yellow and suddenly it can now be called "theming".

The marmaliser is an impressive structure, the LED board looks great and there are some good theming features but overall it feels like they have just stuck anything on now matter how silly (bins, barrels, car wash brushes) which is not 'clever' but highlights a lack of creative ability on behalf of Merlin Studios.
OR alternatively:

- It perfectly matches with: The orange on Oblivion, the green on Enterprise and the Blue on Submission.
- It works in harmony with a creative backstory that perfectly ties together the whole X-Sector (Which previous had little in the way of a theme other than 'Futuristic, but slightly sinister'.
- It has a sense of humour, while still retaining a creepy sinister element.
- it looks freaking amazing.
Luce

Personally, I'm really impressed with The Smiler's theming and think it fits in very well with the story - making it seem like a happy place but in fact harbours a sinister secret.

I am one of those enthusiasts that can't wait to experience the ride fully on opening day :)
sweedish2009

C'mon guys, this isn't Disney or Universal. We don't get a world class ride AND world class theming. We get one or the other. If this was a big standard, couple of inversions roller coaster with a 'big thunder mountain theming budget' would you be happy? Yes the theming in some areas could be better, but I'm sure the MAJORITY on this forum want an amazing ride over amazing theming.

I've looked at forums on US websites and you have no idea how jealous they are that we get a ride like this. I'm not moderating this forum, but in the name of Zeus's butthole, can we draw a line under the 'theming is pants'.

And trust me if you think the theming is not to your high standards, please can I direct your attention to a certain roller coaster at Six Flags Magic Mountain by the name of Scream, and what I'd like to call the 'car park theme'.
Last edited by sweedish2009 on Sun May 19, 2013 7:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Now's not the time for fear. That comes later.

Follow me on Twitter- https://twitter.com/one_hung_low
Owen

sweedish2009 wrote: C'mon guys, this isn't Disney or Universal. We don't get a world class ride AND world class theming. We get one or the other. If this was a big standard, couple of inversions roller coaster with a 'big thunder mountain theming budget' would you be happy? Yes the theming in some areas could be better, but I'm sure the MAJORITY on this forum want an amazing ride over amazing theming.

I've looked at forums on US websites and you have no idea how jealous they are that we get a ride like this. I'm not moderating this forum, but in the name of Zeus's butthole, can we draw a line under the 'theming is pants'.

And trust me if you think the theming a not to your high standards, please can I direct your attention to a certain roller coaster at Six Flags Magic Mountain by the name of Scream, and what I'd like to call the 'car park theme'.
Zeus's butthole  :shock:
CoasterCrazyChris

There are so many fanboys in this topic it is unreal.

Many of you are so obsessed you can't bear to hear a negative comment.

I can't wait to ride this ride like everyone else, it's been a long while since we saw a decent thrill machine at Alton Towers (since Oblivion really) and The Smiler will really be the only thrill coaster at the park with a decent length which is great. And probably only Nemesis has more near misses.

For me Thursday couldn't come soon enough. But i'm not so deluded that I can't see there are flaws with the design of the overall ride.
sweedish2009

Nicholas Cage quote in The Rock. Classic.
Now's not the time for fear. That comes later.

Follow me on Twitter- https://twitter.com/one_hung_low
PeteB

Chaz wrote:
PeteB wrote:
Danny wrote: As a nod to the project name, The Smiler features SW7 on the station building [credit to TPW]:

Is that real or just a trick of the camera angle?
LOL!
Chaz wrote: Oblivion's is easy to see, Nemesis I believe had since been removed, AIR and Th13teen's has yet to be discovered? Whilst these could be common myths I thinks it's a perfect all-round finish.
Nemesis has SW3 on the Mushroom Tours bus. SW4 on Oblivion is all over the place.  However you won't find any SW markings on Air or Th13teen because they don't exist, which is why I'm surprised to see SW7 on The Smiler.  :)
Moley

CoasterCrazyChris wrote: There are so many fanboys in this topic it is unreal.

Many of you are so obsessed you can't bear to hear a negative comment.

I can't wait to ride this ride like everyone else, it's been a long while since we saw a decent thrill machine at Alton Towers (since Oblivion really) and The Smiler will really be the only thrill coaster at the park with a decent length which is great. And probably only Nemesis has more near misses.

For me Thursday couldn't come soon enough. But i'm not so deluded that I can't see there are flaws with the design of the overall ride.
I do apologise. Can you send me a detailed information pack on what my opinion should be? I hate to be a burden but can you make it a PDF file?
Roodlesnouter

CoasterCrazyChris wrote:
ATJordan wrote:
Also, to the people moaning about the theming, stop! Never have I saw such clever theming on a ride before, it is obvious that AT have put a lot of effort into designing this beast, so have some respect. The yellow is NOT tacky, it makes it sinister in the sense that they are making human testing facilities for 'marmilisation' look creepily joyful and happy- its sort if a well thought oxymoron
I'm sorry, but this is slightly delusional thinking.

The yellow has been chosen because it is cheap, they can just paint anything bright yellow and suddenly it can now be called "theming".

The marmaliser is an impressive structure, the LED board looks great and there are some good theming features but overall it feels like they have just stuck anything on now matter how silly (bins, barrels, car wash brushes) which is not 'clever' but highlights a lack of creative ability on behalf of Merlin Studios.
Yellow has been choosen as it is cheap ? The yellow theming is the perfect contrast against the black of the track.

Look at the signs at Heathrow airport there is a reason they use yellow and black signage.
http://pixelsattheparks/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Owen

PeteB wrote:
Chaz wrote:
PeteB wrote: Is that real or just a trick of the camera angle?
LOL!
Chaz wrote: Oblivion's is easy to see, Nemesis I believe had since been removed, AIR and Th13teen's has yet to be discovered? Whilst these could be common myths I thinks it's a perfect all-round finish.
Nemesis has SW3 on the Mushroom Tours bus. SW4 on Oblivion is all over the place.  However you won't find any SW markings on Air or Th13teen because they don't exist, which is why I'm surprised to see SW7 on The Smiler.  :)
So you're telling me you've never seen the carving in the big tree in the side of TH13TEEN's station?  :-s
PeteB

Thrillmad wrote:
PeteB wrote:
Chaz wrote: Real. All Secret Weapons have a silent 'nod' to their original code name.
LOL!
So you're telling me you've never seen the carving in the big tree in the side of TH13TEEN's station?  :-s
I'm afraid I haven't. Feel free to make me look a fool.  :lol:
Owen

PeteB wrote:
Thrillmad wrote:
PeteB wrote: LOL!
Tbh I was lucky to even see it,unless it was a trick of the light (most likely the second) t was quite small and I only saw it on-ride  :?
PeteB

Thrillmad wrote:
PeteB wrote:
Thrillmad wrote: So you're telling me you've never seen the carving in the big tree in the side of TH13TEEN's station?  :-s
Tbh I was lucky to even see it,unless it was a trick of the light (most likely the second) t was quite small and I only saw it on-ride  :?
Ah here we go with the excuses haha :P
Owen

PeteB wrote:
Thrillmad wrote:
PeteB wrote: I'm afraid I haven't. Feel free to make me look a fool.  :lol:
Ah here we're go with the excuses haha :P
Well it sure looked like it!
Anyway back on topic (I will be creating a new topic in 'Alton towers genral') who thinks that they should have made SW7 a little more desecrate?
M3tabolic

Thrillmad wrote: who thinks that they should have made SW7 a little more desecrate?
Did you mean Discrete? No way! I personally am reveling in the fact that if the Ropers can hear the theme music it positively laughs in their face. It sounds like Alton have gone for a classy 'middle finger for the Ropers' kind of tune.
sweedish2009 wrote: And trust me if you think the theming is not to your high standards, please can I direct your attention to a certain roller coaster at Six Flags Magic Mountain by the name of Scream, and what I'd like to call the 'car park theme'.
I feel I must stick up for Scream here... I mean this is extremely convincing themeing. It truly does look exactly like a car park! How did they make the artwork so believable? ;-)

Owen

M3tabolic wrote:
Thrillmad wrote: who thinks that they should have made SW7 a little more desecrate?
Did you mean Discrete? No way! I personally am reveling in the fact that if the Ropers can hear the theme music it positively laughs in their face. It sounds like Alton have gone for a classy 'middle finger for the Ropers' kind of tune.
sweedish2009 wrote: And trust me if you think the theming is not to your high standards, please can I direct your attention to a certain roller coaster at Six Flags Magic Mountain by the name of Scream, and what I'd like to call the 'car park theme'.
I feel I must stick up for Scream here... I mean this is extremely convincing themeing. It truly does look exactly like a car park! How did they make the artwork so believable? ;-)

Yes that is what I meant but but my stupid iPad spell check said other wise and I meant the massive writing on the station wall saying SW7