The Smiler - Construction Discussion

Smile always. New for 2013.
ManiaMuse

----reece---- wrote:
fabiasimon wrote:
----reece---- wrote: Il tell u all about it when I get my preview ;) haha.  (Won Alton towers competition)
You are so lucky!!! Haha. When is your preview?? Do you want a friend?? Haha
Haha!! Really didn't expect to win they haven't given me a date yet. I had to email back the Likly hood of me attending one day next week and they will give me a date by Monday evening...  Il just pull a sickie from work I really don't care ... I'm thinking Wednesday or they'll just put us at the front of que Thursday morning ... Surely they wouldn't email Monday night to come inTuesday.. Haha ...
Hope your employer isn't on this forum! :P
LCFCjames

Looks like we'll be winning teddy bears on 'challenge the Smiler' 8)
Credit to Theme Park World Wide
A

LCFCjames wrote: Looks like we'll be winning teddy bears on 'challenge the Smiler' 8)
They don't even look smiler themed - I would have thought you would be winning smiler merchandise
I'm not completely useless, I can be used as a bad example :P
SwEDEN

A wrote:
LCFCjames wrote: Looks like we'll be winning teddy bears on 'challenge the Smiler' 8)
They don't even look smiler themed - I would have thought you would be winning smiler merchandise
Aren't they smiler bears?
Krazycoaster

They look like Smiler bears to me; yellow and black. I never use the game stands though so it doesn't really concern me  8)
DeadJack5

People Please!

Alton Towers wouldn't have Spent £18 Million on a ride that wasn't going to brilliant and wasn't going to be amazing! Alton Towers have done their best and have intended for this ride to look how it is. They aren't going to say "Right, we are going to make this ride amazing, we are going to break the inversion record and make it a brilliant experience... Aswell as this we are going to forget to paint the building and make it look horrible to the public and some of the viewers at Towerstimes Forum."

NO

They Aren't, they are Alton Towers, they have brought us Oblivion, Air, Rita, Th13teen and the daddy Nemesis.

Guys, give Alton Towers a break please, they have had to deal with the weather, the delays and all the technical aspects of the ride.

If you hate it, go away. If you think it is terrible, go away. If you think John as made a big mistake in making a ride like this, go away.

Take the hint and seriously have a rethink at what effort this ride and the park have put into this major product.

It isn't going to be terrible, it is apart of the Secret Weapon series. It is SW7

I would like to thank everyone who has worked on this ride.
Thank You everyone who has posted pictures, news articles, rumours and has contributed towards this ride. I know that i wouldn't be this excited for this ride if it wasn't for everyone on this forum.

Thank You Towerstimes Admins for controlling this websites' hype and it's overwhelming input towards the build up towards the ride.

I know that i am proud to say that The Smiler is apart of the Alton Towers family and that i can not wait to see this with my own eyes when i get the chance to see and ride this beast!

THANK YOU ALL
aircanman

ATJordan wrote: Is it reasonable to expect a 2hr queue on June 24th?  ;)
No, it's reasonable to expect a 3 hr queue.
A

I know the smiler is going to be AWESOME but don't forget that alton blew 12 million on th13teen, which isn't that amazing tbh
I'm not completely useless, I can be used as a bad example :P
W@LLI$

A wrote: I know the smiler is going to be AWESOME but don't forget that alton blew 12 million on th13teen, which isn't that amazing tbh
I don't want to be technical but it was actually 15 million
#GETCORRECTED
BETTER NOT GO ALONE
[url=http://"http://ridesims.com/users/4791-cawallis123/"]Image[/url]
Rob
Admin
Admin

A wrote: I know the smiler is going to be AWESOME but don't forget that alton blew 12 million on th13teen, which isn't that amazing tbh
It's amazing for the family market that it was aimed at. Also where else can you ride vertical drop coaster?
RCandrew

W@LLI$ wrote:
I don't want to be technical but it was actually 15 million
Surely a worlds first drop on a rollercoaster like that would have cost the majority of the budget, no? ;)
aircanman

Thirteen was a worlds first, therefore the equipment needed to be designed from the ground up, which is why it was expensive, remove that drop and I would say it would cost about half of what it is, same as air, £12,000,000 in 2002, which would be more like 20,000,000 these days, world first coasters cost more than pure thoroughbred roller coasters, which include track, lift hills and imagination.
Rob
Admin
Admin

Moving on and back on topic, where did that large sheet of glass go?
Owen

Rob-TT wrote:
It's amazing for the family market that it was aimed at. Also where else can you ride vertical drop coaster?
One of the Legoland's and bush gardens Williamsburg  : :lol:
Rob-TT wrote: Moving on and back on topic, where did that large sheet of glass go?
I'm guessing the shop
jojolouise

Th13teen is my guilty pleasure, for a family coaster I think it is brilliant.
There is always going to be some that are not going to like the design, the color ect ect.
Tbh I remembered when I was at AT last september and just going past where the black hole used to be (the first coaster I ever went on) and thought this new coaster has a lot to live up too.
Which by the looks if it, it is looking like it will.
Owen

jojolouise wrote: Th13teen is my guilty pleasure, for a family coaster I think it is brilliant.
There is always going to be some that are not going to like the design, the color ect ect.
Tbh I remembered when I was at AT last september and just going past where the black hole used to be (the first coaster I ever went on) and thought this new coaster has a lot to live up too.
Which by the looks if it, it is looking like it will.
Could agree more  :D
TH13TEEN is actually in my favourite coaster at AT..for now...
PSxyz

Phild94 wrote: 88hrs until Full Marmalisation Initiation

J01N U5. 5M1L3 A7WAY5.

:moj

3days
16hrs
24minutes.

#getcorrected

EDIT: am I right in thinking that £18 million is relatively cheap for a coaster with theming of this magnitude.... Could it be that Merlin and Gerst have made a deal?
Maybe!! Merlin operate a forever expanding amount of properties worldwide, it makes sense for Gerst too please such a large customer.
CoasterCrazyChris

ATJordan wrote:
Also, to the people moaning about the theming, stop! Never have I saw such clever theming on a ride before, it is obvious that AT have put a lot of effort into designing this beast, so have some respect. The yellow is NOT tacky, it makes it sinister in the sense that they are making human testing facilities for 'marmilisation' look creepily joyful and happy- its sort if a well thought oxymoron
I'm sorry, but this is slightly delusional thinking.

The yellow has been chosen because it is cheap, they can just paint anything bright yellow and suddenly it can now be called "theming".

The marmaliser is an impressive structure, the LED board looks great and there are some good theming features but overall it feels like they have just stuck anything on now matter how silly (bins, barrels, car wash brushes) which is not 'clever' but highlights a lack of creative ability on behalf of Merlin Studios.
Hitch

How can you say anything about this ride is cheap, it cost £18 million for god sake, it is in no way, shape or form cheap.
Phild94

CoasterCrazyChris wrote:
ATJordan wrote:
Also, to the people moaning about the theming, stop! Never have I saw such clever theming on a ride before, it is obvious that AT have put a lot of effort into designing this beast, so have some respect. The yellow is NOT tacky, it makes it sinister in the sense that they are making human testing facilities for 'marmilisation' look creepily joyful and happy- its sort if a well thought oxymoron
I'm sorry, but this is slightly delusional thinking.

The yellow has been chosen because it is cheap, they can just paint anything bright yellow and suddenly it can now be called "theming".

The marmaliser is an impressive structure, the LED board looks great and there are some good theming features but overall it feels like they have just stuck anything on now matter how silly (bins, barrels, car wash brushes) which is not 'clever' but highlights a lack of creative ability on behalf of Merlin Studios.
Earlier from yourself today......
It's becoming clear that the marmaliser is the only good theming on this ride.

Everything else reeks of laziness and poor, cheap and tacky design on a shoestring budget.

Only a fanboy would disagree.

Thank god the ride is good.
I'm sure you're just trying to cause arguments so please don't incur the wrath of the mods.....

Also who else but merlin would think hmmm we need a way of "tickling" 16 advocates simultaneously and then coming up with a car wash brush XD

And besides Yellow is the colour of happiness ..... Maybe a few of us need to be locked in a room full of yellow things every now and again because honestly..... the pictures on here do it no justice... it is a great piece of theming as stated by yourself so please lets just move on.....

86hrs 46 minutes :moj
Last edited by Phild94 on Sun May 19, 2013 7:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Credit to Lewis97 for the fantastic signature :D