The Smiler - Construction Discussion

Smile always. New for 2013.
Kieran141

Does anyone else agree that themeing is horrid, tacky and cheap? I feel it's going to get damaged easily and not replaced any time soon...
Last edited by Kieran141 on Sun May 19, 2013 2:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bbooth2

Has anyone seen a car go round today, or heard about it?
Last edited by bbooth2 on Sun May 19, 2013 1:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dan

With regards to the breakdown, I read an article online somewhere (can't remember where) where they had a comment from JW saying that the issue that caused the breakdown on Friday night was fixed and the ride was operational again.

I just hope they get any teething issues out of the way before opening day
Liam B

did the press actually get on it? may be a silly question but there was a lot of hassle!
bbooth2

cheers, im also abit concerned, i dont fancy getting up at 6 in the morning to a broken down coaster :P
Danny

I am absolutely appalled by some of the comments that have been displayed in this topic. If you feel a post is crossing the line, please, flag the post! Do not take matters into your own hands and continue the hostilities. Thank you.
hambletwins wrote: did the press actually get on it? may be a silly question but there was a lot of hassle!
Some members of the press rode on Friday night before the issues began. They were rescheduled to ride yesterday morning at around 10am, but they weren't able to do so. Many members of the press have therefore gone home without riding. Oops :P
Last edited by Danny on Sun May 19, 2013 2:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Heisenberg96

Thank god that's over...can people just stop the bickering now and get back to The Smiler please? Everyone's going to have opinions be it bad or good, personally I love The Smiler but you have to accept not everyone will agree! There really isn't an excuse for how heated and argumentative this topic is getting. And not just from those being negative, some people are being very rude to people with different opinions from their own.

Respect everyone's opinions as you would like yours to be respected.

Now back to construction I say... :D
JaykeAT

Not been in here for a while so lets let my opinion be known.

What a treat we are all in for then,I feel dizzy just from watching the POV's. How anyone can not be looking foward to this is beyond me,just can't wait for it.

In other news,a reliable source has given me this news from the towers
Spoiler
It's very good  :P
Th13TEENGUY

Just an idea but what if the smile always vid about him being 50% corrected was linked to the car being half way round the track? Apoligies if this has already been brought up
LCFC til i die
Roodlesnouter

author=Kieran141 link=topic=35636.msg735362#msg735362 date=1368965251
Themeing looks cheap and easily breakable all the yellow just brightens up x sector which x sector is meant to be spinster and secret the smiler just doesn't fit in with x sector themeing with the station if lookalike they run out of money to paint then that Nasty horrid smiler logo on the floor of the smiler is disgusting merlons have just bought loads of themeing that is just gonna bust watch in 10 years time it will be run down
By the same guy minutes later
Does anyone else agree that themeing is horrid, tacky and cheap? I feel it's going to get damaged easily and not replaced any time soon...
I GIVE IN :(
http://pixelsattheparks/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
aircanman

Do some of you think that this ride was just sketched and then built?  This would have gone through over a year of design and development, with some of the worlds leading designers being in charge, yes, even that entrance which some of you think looks awful.  Remember this thing is not even finished yet, and I do remember the people who thought the marmaliser was awful when it was being built, but now they are eating their words....

Sadly not everyone can be pleased, and some will not like certain aspects, but most of these people are nobodys whos opinion is neither justified or relevant, so these people are best ignored (even though they will ride the ride and enjoy it) - they will still get off and moan.  Heard it all before.

The fact of the matter is that this is an engineering masterpiece, and a darn good ride, it will create waves in the theme park world and in the future, lay the foundations for the next big thing, look at what we have seen since Alton did it before?? Air/Nemesis...... - Get on with it, ride it, enjoy.
kierannewcombe

will there be live actors in the pre-show

Credit to Lewis97
RCandrew

Is the track still being worked on today? :)
PeteB

Honestly, I'm pulling my hair out at people screaming "cheap and tacky" theming.

Do they just not GET the theme at all? It is supposed to look exaggerated and over the top. It is not supposed to look real. Half of it is a p!ss take of the big brother society we live in!

Apart from that, it is just fantasy and make-believe! Remember when you were a kid and your parents used to read bed time stories and fairytales to you? Remember how they were just fun fantasy worlds?  Same thing here! Cartoons? Tom and Gerry, Bugs bunny and Micky mouse - none of it's real. It's just fun.

Try to have some fun for once in your life, and if you can't then try riding The Smiler. You might just have a little by accident!
Creative05

Hey peeps, sorry I've been off the radar this weekend and haven't been catching up at all! Has there been any duelling testing yet? Or are we still only seeing one train on the track at any time?
----reece----

Il tell u all about it when I get my preview ;) haha.  (Won Alton towers competition)
A

Anyone know if all the queue line fencing has been placed yet? Just asking because it's only a few days 'till opening now :)
I'm not completely useless, I can be used as a bad example :P
jojolouise

This is my first ever post so please be a bit easy on me  :D.
I have been following this forum for a while even more so to keep an eye on The Smiler.
I was at AT on May bank holiday and I was taken aback by The Smiler it looks to be one hell of a coaster, and just awesome I personally think that it goes very well with the rest of the X Sector.
AT have done in my eyes brilliantly with the back story to tie everything very nicely together.
I appreciate that not everyone is going to like all aspects of the ride.

I really can not wait to go ride on The Smiler, and until my butt has been through the queue, and on that ride I will withhold any judgement on how the actual ride fares.
CoasterCrazyChris

PeteB wrote: Honestly, I'm pulling my hair out at people screaming "cheap and tacky" theming.

Do they just not GET the theme at all? It is supposed to look exaggerated and over the top. It is not supposed to look real. Half of it is a p!ss take of the big brother society we live in!

Apart from that, it is just fantasy and make-believe! Remember when you were a kid and your parents used to read bed time stories and fairytales to you? Remember how they were just fun fantasy worlds?  Same thing here! Cartoons? Tom and Gerry, Bugs bunny and Micky mouse - none of it's real. It's just fun.

Try to have some fun for once in your life, and if you can't then try riding The Smiler. You might just have a little by accident!
Why don't they paint it bright pink while they are at it hey?

Because that is 'fun' isn't it?

Who cares about the X-Sector theme right?

:roll:
King Nemesis

We have already mentioned this, But as mentioned above (or a few pages back) these issues have apparently been resolved