The Smiler - Construction Discussion

Smile always. New for 2013.
PeteB

MatthewR1990 wrote:
PeteB wrote:
roodlesnouter wrote: Image
I'm very disappointed with Oblivion's exit hole.  There is absolutely no need for 6ft high fencing to be around that pond. The pond always had a low fence.

Apart from that it has needed a good clean since about 1999 which up to now they haven't bothered with. It must be the only part of X Sector which hasn't had any work done.

Seems like Towers have gone fence crazy this year, what with the excessive one all around The Smiler and that application they made to put high fences all over the gardens - which I'm pleased got rejected!
I do believe that high fence is because there is a big drop behind it. They had to raise the floor to level it off with the smiler shop exit. Round the front of the pool it still has the small fence.
That ^^ is the front. The part where they raised the floor is to the right where you can see the fence goes inwards.

There's already another high fence around the hole/track itself which is to stop people from going down there. It's just a bit silly really and I think the whole area it looking a bit too confined with all these high fences.

In the queue for instance, surely a lot of them could have been the shorter 4ft ones to provide a bit more of an open view?
schmatt

PeteB wrote: In the queue for instance, surely a lot of them could have been the shorter 4ft ones to provide a bit more of an open view?
At least it acts as a deterrent for queue jumping. Also creates a more claustrophobic feel, which can be intimidating to some. especially with the cars flying around above them. Honestly don't see the problem with the fencing, sure if it was solid walls it would be too much but the mesh style fence ain't that bad.

However I too am a little sad about the fence from the oblivion exit hole but hey ho, theres worse things that have happened. (the rehydrator to name a few  :cry:)

The exit path from the shop is seriously lacking in some greenery though. Far too much brick Some planters with spiral topiary in would  help, along with some nice black benches.
Last edited by schmatt on Sun May 19, 2013 12:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
homfecep

schmatt wrote:
PeteB wrote: In the queue for instance, surely a lot of them could have been the shorter 4ft ones to provide a bit more of an open view?
At least it acts as a deterrent for queue jumping. Also creates a more claustrophobic feel, which can be intimidating to some. especially with the cars flying around above them. Honestly don't see the problem with the fencing, sure if it was solid walls it would be too much but the mesh style fence ain't that bad.

However I too am a little sad about the fence from the oblivion exit hole but hey ho, theres worse things that have happened. (the rehydrator to name a few  :cry:)

The exit path from the shop is seriously lacking in some greenery though. Far too much brick Some planters with spiral topiary in would  help, along with some nice black benches.

Agree with you all. And not just the actual fencing overlapping but those white stones that fill the gab looks awful too. This is a minor detail, ok,  but it's the only thing that I don't like from the whole proyect ;).

This is a masterpiece of a coaster and A MUST for all thrillseekers. Going there on July =)
TheOutpatient

No stilettos = glass floor?

This is probably a extra-safe safety measure.
Please visit my blog of original dark ride ideas: http://mattsdesignsblog.wordpress.com/
krikeymikey

They dont allow high heels on many rides
Fear is subject to opinion
hursty

TheOutpatient wrote:
No stilettos = glass floor?

This is probably a extra-safe safety measure.
Footwear requirements are normally for ride evacuation
xTeddlesking

I can't help but be pessimistic about the outside of the station.  It looks such an eye sore!  Everything about this ride is superb, and that is the only thing that looks un-finished.  Just looks cheaply made!
Former Lifeguard at Splash Landings hotel,  Now studying computer and video games at Salford Uni.
Kieran141

The entrance just looks so tacky how many cameras have they put I. Looks like they've bought to many and put them on every square inch of the entrance disappointed Alton towers and no secret element what a let down
Phild94

104hrs 9 minutes until Mass marmalisation

#getcorrected

:moj

Credit to Lewis97 for the fantastic signature :D
CoasterCrazyChris

It's becoming clear that the marmaliser is the only good theming on this ride.

Everything else reeks of laziness and poor, cheap and tacky design on a shoestring budget.

Only a fanboy would disagree.

Thank god the ride is good.
Last edited by CoasterCrazyChris on Sun May 19, 2013 2:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
PeteB

CoasterCrazyChris wrote: It's becoming clear that the marmaliser is the only good theming on this ride.

Everything else reeks of laziness and poor, cheap and tacky design on a shoestring budget.

Kieran141 wrote: The entrance just looks so tacky how many cameras have they put I. Looks like they've bought to many and put them on every square inch of the entrance disappointed Alton towers and no secret element what a let down
There's a lot of things which don't seem quite right about this ride but I'm actually going to disagree with both of you on these points.

Those cameras at the entrance have now been wired up, they aren't dummies, which means they're not just for show.  I wonder if there will be screens inside the building showing new advocates joining the ride?
jayson2125

I to have to disagree..

During the building of the smiler there have been many things that I have thought "I don't like that bit", the name, the colours, the theming etc.

For me though as each one of these things has turned up the feeling of I don't like that bit has lasted for a very short while as every time I see this fantastic coaster I actually think "my god this ride just has everything".

For JW's last ride ( if it really is) I think he and AT have built what could be a coaster on par or even better than nemesis.

These kind of rides don't come along very often and I remember when Nemmy was being built the speculation and excitement about what was coming. We have seen nothing like this since probably oblivion.

The smiler to me makes me think "how the hell are they going to beat that" which in it self sums up the excellent job that has been done on this ride.

We can complain because a bolt hasn't been painted the correct shade of black but what's the point.? For me I can't wait to ride on the 23rd and if the entrance isn't quite the right shade or has one to many cameras I will still ride it and still be nervous on my first ride and that for me and AT will be a success.

If AT read these forums which they do then there are probably some very tired people who have put in over 100% to make this ride that must feel like no matter what they do somebody has an opinion of how they could have done it better.

Maybe there is the answer ... If you could choose the right shade of paint or the correct number of cameras to put on the entrance then apply for a job and show us all your masterpiece of a coaster and theming.

Rant over ......roll on the 23rd...8:30 am at the gates wearing my smiler jacket and behaving like an excited kid on Christmas morning...

:-)

Many many thanks to Lewis97 for my signature file.
Roodlesnouter

PeteB wrote:
CoasterCrazyChris wrote: It's becoming clear that the marmaliser is the only good theming on this ride.

Kieran141 wrote: The entrance just looks so tacky how many cameras have they put I. Looks like they've bought to many and put them on every square inch of the entrance disappointed Alton towers and no secret element what a let down
There's a lot of things which don't seem quite right about this ride but I'm actually going to disagree with both oou on these points.

Those cameras at the entrance have now been wired up, they aren't dummies, which means they're not just for show.  I wonder if there will be screens inside the building showing new advocates joining the ride?
The cameras are indeed "wired" up but Im not convinced that they will be live. I think it is just part of the theming and the wiring is in place to make us believe that they are real working cameras, this will reinforce the feeling of being watched.

Of course I could well be wrong but I cannot see the need for 14 live cameras at an entrance also a few of the cameras are pointing in rediculous angles, not really conducive to be viewing anything.
http://pixelsattheparks/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
RollercoasterGEEK100

People stop moaning about the station! Think about the ride and how amazing the experience is going to be, the station is where you just get on and off...

Credit to NemesisRider
Kendalgal

Knock it down then and have no new ride. God! Some people are so ungrateful :/
Mum to Hollie (9) & Madison (5)
bbooth2

Don't go on then pal if your not happy with it, stop crying
mattallennet

Schmatt, I agree with you about seating. As a parentswap pass holder I get to hang around with a toddler a lot. Seating becomes essential!
ReZourceman

The visual design and implementation of this ride is fantastic, I absolutely love it. It all looks very clean, crisp and sterile. Also chartreuse is my favourite colour and I love a chartreuse/yellow combination, so the entrance is like....possibly one of my favourite entrances ever.

When the heck am I going to get to ride this thing?
scruffy_

Has the Obvlivion changed at all to go with the smiler theme? or is a case of AT clashing themes again? (As they do!)