The Smiler - Construction Discussion

Smile always. New for 2013.
jbuckton18

plong221 wrote: My first post here.
I've just noticed where the disabled sign is,
Isn't there stairs the other side of the entrance?? :?
Hi first poster ! :)

You are correct about steps however im sure they have or will have put in a 'mini lift' or a slope to cater this.
Some say they've seen angels, Ive seen The Smiler - That's enough
jbuckton18

JW599 wrote: AT Tweet, mentions behind the scene preview showing later on BP.

B-E-A utiful
Some say they've seen angels, Ive seen The Smiler - That's enough
DaveBear

I do think and hope their is more to the Marmaliser than we have seen, but then maybe it wont be as advanced as we all hopped.

And at the end of the day, i saw the designs to this ride years ago when the plans was 8 Inversions, and i had at that time came back from Florida and my friends did not go on the Hulk and i said what a miss, they said well they loved Kraken and saw the Cue for Hulk and as they was with kids never bothered.

I said shame you missed out on a awesome ride.

But then when i found out about the new ride at Alton Towers and saw the plans and the Double Batwing and Cobra Roll what i saw was a 8 Inversion ride like Kraken and the Hulk that had those rides main elements all fused into one ride in the UK.

So i was excited that the UK will get a ride that will allow us to experience some of the thrills the Kraken and Hulk give.

Since then though the ride has gotten a theme, more inversions and so much speculation...

But strip all that away and just by the plans and actual track and well we have a ride that not only matches but surpasses the Hulk and Kraken, granted we wont get the hang time and high drops as Kraken and the Speed and the Launch of Hulk but we get a ride that combines the main Inversions of those in a track thats smaller and throws in a extra 6 Inversions in the process.

This will lead to a highly intense ride, where there is little break from Inversions aside from the Lift Hills, and i also think while the Lift Hills especially the 2nd break up the Inversions its well needed and the worse part for the Rider.....

Well that 2nd lift is slow and its vertical and that alone is going to build tension, you see after the first half many riders may be really nervous and scared and well best thing is to get rest over and done, but that lift hill is going to add to the tension of the ride knowing that you will have to go through another 7 and more intense inversions.

And so yes behind all the speculation and the is it a Worlds First as in traditional Secret Weapons... we have been left with a really intense ride and a must for Thrill Seekers.
qwerty

That entrance is for ambulant disabled (it means you can walk but are still disabled). Non-ambulant access will be via the exit.
Dr.Kelham

So, so far I have decided that if the smiler breaks we can blame barney ;) was that a picture of the orp frame you get on that office wall?
With thanks to lewis97 :)
CoasterCrazyChris

Sorry but never have I read so much rubbish in all my life than what's in the last two pages.

You lot are all taking this "marmalisation" business far too seriously. There is nothing that will mess with your mind, you are just going on a very intense (and awesome) rollercoaster with some pretty cool headchoppers and near misses.

If you expect more than a few flashing lights in the indoor section then you are setting yourself up for a huge amount of disappointment.

Also, the entrance is now looking a bit better than before but it would be stupid to suggest that it now looks "epic" because a few fake cameras have been stuck on the side. Of course everyone has an opinion, but I think a reality check migt be needed here.

I wish people would cut the BS sometimes.

:)
gallopbob

I think BP should show us how to make a Marmaliser out of used bog rolls and sticky-back-plastic - at least we could keep it in the construction topic!
Liam B

CoasterCrazyChris wrote: Sorry but never have I read so much rubbish in all my life than what's in the last two pages.

You lot are all taking this "marmalisation" business far too seriously. There is nothing that will mess with your mind, you are just going on a very intense (and awesome) rollercoaster with some pretty cool headchoppers and near misses.

If you expect more than a few flashing lights in the indoor section then you are setting yourself up for a huge amount of disappointment.

:)
by "you are all" I think you mean davebear  :roll:
Dr.Kelham

gallopbob wrote: I think BP should show us how to make a Marmaliser out of used bog rolls and sticky-back-plastic - at least we could keep it in the construction topic!
Someone should email them that :)
With thanks to lewis97 :)
Forza_Dan24

Ah, so the camera assessing the emotions was from an external organisation working with the press and nothing to do with AT :)

Source: Blue Peter
Smile. Always. :moj
Big thanks to lewis97 for the signature!
PeteB

Can I remind everyone that this is the Construction topic. For media coverage about the ride please use the Marketing topic.

Thank you!

Aidan Lowe

Thank u CoasterCrazyChris. This ride will not mess with your mind, that's just marketing same as all this scientist psychological bs. Marmalise is a made up word? for disorientate. The effects themselves won't have much effect, other than nice headchoppers.
Formerly known under username Andy Mc
Krazycoaster

Mabalzich wrote: Thank u CoasterCrazyChris. This ride will not mess with your mind, that's just marketing same as all this scientist psychological bs. Marmalise is a made up word? for disorientate. The effects themselves won't have much effect, other than nice headchoppers.
Marmalise is scouse slang word meaning 'to utterly destroy'  :D
CoasterCrazyChris

Mabalzich wrote: Thank u CoasterCrazyChris. This ride will not mess with your mind, that's just marketing same as all this scientist psychological bs. Marmalise is a made up word? for disorientate. The effects themselves won't have much effect, other than nice headchoppers.
Yeah I agree. Marmalise is actually a word, but I don't think "marmalisation" is. Anyhow, that's marketing for you!

And no this ride is obviously not going to destroy you, and for that reason as much as I like being immersed in the theme of a ride I think people should stop talking the whole thing so seriously.

The terms "get corrected", "smile" and "marmalise" if up to me would be banned from this forum by now!!
THE SWARM 14

I think if you actually believe that you are being entering a smile testing facility that messes with your mind, it enhances the ride experience. It is like The Twilight Zone, Tower of Terror; if you go on that thinking I'm riding a drop tower, it makes the experience less exciting rather than thinking I'm in a decrepit hotel about to enter the Twilight Zone.
Danny

Recently, TowersTimes managed to catch up with John Wardley on park as he was overlooking The Smiler. Whilst we did record a full conversation with him, there are various reasons we cannot publish the full thing online. However, John sent us an email from which we have been allowed to post quotes of what he has said:
I have been really moved by the very kind words people have expressed on your forums about me, my autobiography, and my retirement. The internet can be a very malicious place, which encourages people to hide behind anonymity and say unpleasant things. The main Alton Towers forums are not like this at all, and your members are really supportive and have given me tremendous encouragement over the years. As you probably know, I am impersonated on both Facebook and Twitter by someone who poses as me (and has a photo of me on their profile) and has made a number of quite plausible posts and tweets. They are completely fraudulent, as I have neither a Facebook or Twitter account.
Although I will not be doing any more work for Merlin, I have made it known to Alton Towers that I will always be there on the sidelines if they want any input from me.
Finally, I hope everyone enjoys The Smiler when it opens in the very near future. Please don’t get in too much of a lather about “World’s Firsts” and “Secret Elements”.  They seem to be dominating your discussions, and really are not very important! You all know now what the ride does, and I’m sure you’ll discover that it does it rather well!

With best regards,

John
Last edited by Danny on Thu May 16, 2013 6:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Danscott22

Is there a video of The Smiler on Blue Peter yet? I was out for dinner so didn't see it:P
Osaka12

Danny wrote: Recently, TowersTimes managed to catch up with John Wardley on park as he was overlooking The Smiler. Whilst we did record a full conversation with him, there are various reasons we cannot publish the full thing online. However, John sent us an email from which we have been allowed to post quotes of what he has said:
I have been really moved by the very kind words people have expressed on your forums about me, my autobiography, and my retirement. The internet can be a very malicious place, which encourages people to hide behind anonymity and say unpleasant things. The main Alton Towers forums are not like this at all, and your members are really supportive and have given me tremendous encouragement over the years. As you probably know, I am impersonated on both Facebook and Twitter by someone who poses as me (and has a photo of me on their profile) and has made a number of quite plausible posts and tweets. They are completely fraudulent, as I have neither a Facebook or Twitter account.
Although I will not be doing any more work for Merlin, I have made it known to Alton Towers that I will always be there on the sidelines if they want any input from me.
Finally, I hope everyone enjoys The Smiler when it opens in the very near future. Please don’t get in too much of a lather about “World’s Firsts” and “Secret Elements”.  They seem to be dominating your discussions, and really are not very important! You all know now what the ride does, and I’m sure you’ll discover that it does it rather well!

With best regards,

John
This is very cool of Mr Wardley, I happen to be reading his book at the minute and have to admit the guy is a bit of a legend.

As for the Smiler, It looks amazing and I am very much looking forward to riding it on the 23rd!

EDIT: Apologies for OT :/
sully1311

Danscott22 wrote: Is there a video of The Smiler on Blue Peter yet? I was out for dinner so didn't see it:P
The episode will be on iPlayer soon.
Static Veins

Danny wrote:

With best regards,

John
There. Straight from the horse's mouth, and I couldn't have said it any better myself! We know exactly what we're getting - an amazing, one-of-a-kind ride. Enough with the "no it must do this!" (outside the speculation topic, at least!) and the "you're stupid if you think it does that!". Let's just enjoy it for what it is, and more importantly get along, shall we? :)

Now, more on topic - the entrance is looking much better with the addition of those cameras. Interested to see what will be added to the inside of the archways.