The Smiler - Construction Discussion

Smile always. New for 2013.
lewis97
Admin
Admin

I really don't know what to make of this facial recognition feature, but something else that could be seen to support it, is the boost feature in the game. You could only boost when riders were marmalised, and so smiling, and that would therefore link to the 'smile if you want to go faster' idea. People have always suggested they may be more to this feature than we first thought, could this be it...?

Also I noticed in the Capital FM POV that there were what look like tubular LED light bars on the roof of the interior section before the first lift. Maybe these could be used in a pre show. However, there doesn't seem to be any door before the lift hill, and so unless there is one, or it's going to be added, I sort of doubt there being any kind of pre show like what we've been expecting.
Jwall

That Mirror video doesn't cut out before the second lift hill at all! Surely this is proof there is no secret element there unfortunately?
Chris
Admin
Admin

I really wish everyone would give up thinking there will be any more 'secret elements' than what has already been shown - it's really starting to be irritating.

The section of videos before the lifts have simply been cut as the ride still has yet to be calibrated to stop and engage on them quickly. Would be pretty boring video hence cutting to the lift.

If you want to speculate about stuff which is in your imagination then please do in the relevant topic, because its been difficult trying to wade through countless posts not related to general or construction discussion.

Many thanks
N3m3s1s

Ok! To clear this up once and for all, I decided to email the man himself! I wondered about the height limit, so here's the email:

Hi Adam

Thank you for your kind email.

I'm sure they'll manage to safely fit you into the Smiler!

There is no official maximum height limit, but we had a journalist today who was roughly your height, and he rode with no problem.

I hope you enjoy it.

John

Sent from John's iPad

For reference, I'm 6 foot 4.
Stern John

Baffles wrote: I really wish everyone would give up thinking there will be any more 'secret elements' than what has already been shown - it's really starting to be irritating.

The section of videos before the lifts have simply been cut as the ride still has yet to be calibrated to stop and engage on them quickly. Would be pretty boring video hence cutting to the lift.

If you want to speculate about stuff which is in your imagination then please do in the relevant topic, because its been difficult trying to wade through countless posts not related to general or construction discussion.

Many thanks
Agreed
These people are just setting themselves up to be disappointed and how could you possibly be disappointed with a ride like this?
Alton have excelled themselves in every department!
lewis97
Admin
Admin

They confirm in this article that there are 5 trains, if anyone was still in doubt...
jbuckton18

Guys , guys , guys ! ( and gals ;) ) 8 days to go !! Only 8 ! Im going May 27th :( but still cant wait to see this in  full action! As for SE , I have been prone to discuss possible SE such as the washing machine element etc etc and for now i feel embarrassed to say the least and i know now that there wont be anymore secrets unless the Vlift has something in it ? But Im just so happy with this ride ! I mean who cant be happy with what we have already !?
Some say they've seen angels, Ive seen The Smiler - That's enough
lewis97
Admin
Admin

jbuckton18 wrote: Guys , guys , guys ! ( and gals ;) ) 8 days to go !! Only 8 ! Im going May 27th :( but still cant wait to see this in  full action! As for SE , I have been prone to discuss possible SE such as the washing machine element etc etc and for now i feel embarrassed to say the least and i know now that there wont be anymore secrets unless the Vlift has something in it ? But Im just so happy with this ride ! I mean who cant be happy with what we have already !?
This was posted by Maseyg123 in the Speculation topic last night...
Maseyg123 wrote: Hi all :) Not sure where to post this, but as it regards adverts and a secret element I thought I would post it in Marketing and Speculation. So early this evening I emailed John Wardley regarding the adverts, the secret elements and any possible documentaries. His reply is below...

Hi Mason

Thanks for your kind email. I really appreciate you taking the time to write to me.
The TV commercials for the Smiler will start appearing in Television next week. As to the secret element, The Smiler has many surprises, and I'm certain you won't be disappointed!
The filming that has been taking place with me here over the last few days has been for TV news programmes, and there is no documentary being made.

Again, thank you for contacting me ...... And enjoy The Smiler
With very best wishes,

John Wardley
Sent from John's iPad

And I'm sure that this email PROVES that there is another unrelieved secret elements!! Also... ADVERTS NEXT WEEK!!! :D ... but no documentary ( I thought there might have been because of the filming, but no...) :(
jbuckton18

lewis97 wrote:
jbuckton18 wrote: Guys , guys , guys ! ( and gals ;) ) 8 days to go !! Only 8 ! Im going May 27th :( but still cant wait to see this in  full action! As for SE , I have been prone to discuss possible SE such as the washing machine element etc etc and for now i feel embarrassed to say the least and i know now that there wont be anymore secrets unless the Vlift has something in it ? But Im just so happy with this ride ! I mean who cant be happy with what we have already !?
This was posted by Maseyg123 in the Speculation topic last night...
Maseyg123 wrote: Hi all :) Not sure where to post this, but as it regards adverts and a secret element I thought I would post it in Marketing and Speculation. So early this evening I emailed John Wardley regarding the adverts, the secret elements and any possible documentaries. His reply is below...

Hi Mason

Thanks for your kind email. I really appreciate you taking the time to write to me.
The TV commercials for the Smiler will start appearing in Television next week. As to the secret element, The Smiler has many surprises, and I'm certain you won't be disappointed!
The filming that has been taking place with me here over the last few days has been for TV news programmes, and there is no documentary being made.

Again, thank you for contacting me ...... And enjoy The Smiler
With very best wishes,

John Wardley
Sent from John's iPad

And I'm sure that this email PROVES that there is another unrelieved secret elements!! Also... ADVERTS NEXT WEEK!!! :D ... but no documentary ( I thought there might have been because of the filming, but no...) :(
I never saw that ! Cheers mate ! :) Exiting now!
Katherine

You're the only other person I know that's going on the 27th.
However as for the SE, it was a media typo, there won't be anymore "secret elements", what we've seen is what we're going to get, and tbh It's pretty beast having 14 inversions alone alongside this "face recognition" software.
Adam

Right to put this to bed. The secret was the 14 inversions. The ride and theming will contain many surprises, but in terms of a SE - the 14 inversions is exactly that.

In other news. TPW is on site again today. Their updates have begun:

With thanks to ThemeParkWorldwide.
Last edited by Adam on Wed May 15, 2013 10:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
"It would be spiteful to put Jellyfish in a trifle..."
jbuckton18

Kathy wrote:
However as for the SE, it was a media typo, there won't be anymore "secret elements", what we've seen is what we're going to get, and tbh It's pretty beast having 14 inversions alone alongside this "face recognition" software.
Yeh it's a bank holiday!!!
mattallennet

Agree with everything above. Leave negative thoughts at the park entrance. It's an immense 14 inversion coaster. We know the layout and all the elements. Many of us have been on shorter, smaller Eurofighters so we have an idea what to expect. This is a cross between Saw and Colossus - but much better. Let's all get excited about that! We don't need trick track, gimmicks, family coasters and new coaster designs here - maybe 2016 is the right time for that again, but AT just needed another thrill ride this time.

Of course the finishing touches to theming will determine whether its a great ride or a brilliant one, but it certainly won't be disappointing.
Katherine

jbuckton18 wrote:
Kathy wrote:
Yeh it's a bank holiday!!!
Guess you'll probably see me around then.

---

14 inversions are 14 inversions, we have a world breaking coaster even without another "secret element" and the talk about there being another one is going to get as annoying as the fins, honestly, so just leave the negativity outside the park and enjoy what we do have, It'll be great either way.

Rant over.
Last edited by Katherine on Wed May 15, 2013 10:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
bbooth2

very brave going on Monday the 27th

the park will be absolutely heaving!
Static Veins

From Theme Park Worldwide's Facebook:

Work on the fencing is really progressing today
mikecloud1984

Might have been mentioned in the 25 pages I don't have time to read through.....

....but anyone else notice the indoor section before the first lift.....after the barrel roll there is a "station" kind of platform to the left but more interesting is the "HA HA HA" in big letters on the walls!

You can clearly see all of this in the Capital FM video.

More indictation that the train "stops" here for a pre-ride show?
Richardio123

mikecloud1984 wrote: Might have been mentioned in the 25 pages I don't have time to read through.....

....but anyone else notice the indoor section before the first lift.....after the barrel roll there is a "station" kind of platform to the left but more interesting is the "HA HA HA" in big letters on the walls!

You can clearly see all of this in the Capital FM video.

More indictation that the train "stops" here for a pre-ride show?
Which Capital Fm video ?

Disregard found it :)
Last edited by Richardio123 on Wed May 15, 2013 11:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
Signature Pending.. ;D
GigaSurimi

Evil Lewis wrote:
kierannewcombe wrote: anyone else feel a bit annoyed that there is no
Spoiler
secret element
Nope! Actually quite relieved. No back pokers, leg whips or other 4d nonsense. Just a world beating coaster with an incredible layout and a unique theme.
I remember a few months ago, people had quite a go at me when I said that even though John Wardley mentioned a few secret elements in some radio interview, it was probably just a stunt. They replied things like "well you'll be proved wrong, JW would never lie, blabla". Well I guess I was right. :)

And I'm actually happy about that, this coaster doesn't need any over-hyped SE. It is already awesome.
Gax

Just read through almost 25 pages of discussion about launched lifthills, chain snaps, 3d wall projections, cameras in backs of seats, tightening wheels, face recognition, emotion-driven ride cars and God knows what else..

And little to no mention of the fact that our favourite theme park is about to open the worlds first 14 inversion roller coaster, with what looks to be the most intricate and compelling theme since nemesis.

Insane!