The Smiler - Construction Discussion

Smile always. New for 2013.
bbooth2

its so beautiful :')
The Earl

Alton Towers just released this off-ride video, showing the whole layout, including vertical lift  :D

Enjoy!

Tom_Jephson

Oh my days its awesome!
For a better start in life, start smiling earlier!
Evostance

Static Veins wrote: I'll just leave this here...

Complete ride testing:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OlYuU-ACDiQ
Still missing that first part of the vertical lift - you know, where it falls backwards  :lol:
Richardio123

Evostance wrote:
Static Veins wrote: I'll just leave this here...

Complete ride testing:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OlYuU-ACDiQ
Still missing that first part of the vertical lift - you know, where it falls backwards  :lol:
or they stopped recording because the coaster car wasn't in view
Signature Pending.. ;D
youarecorrectsir

Oh my god... its just beautiful... so fast and smooth. I dont even care if there is another worlds first feature anymore. this monster is enough - anything else is a mahussive bonus. So excited its unreal!!
[align=center]"Everybody dies, but not everybody lives"[/align]
Richardio123

Evostance wrote:
Richardio123 wrote:
Evostance wrote: Still missing that first part of the vertical lift - you know, where it falls backwards  :lol:
or they stopped recording because the coaster car wasn't in view
/sarcasm
;)
Signature Pending.. ;D
Tom_Jephson

video is 92 seconds long, yet it has a ride time of 165 seconds... hmmmm  #-o
SwEDEN

Ok, right...... Umm......uhhhhhhhh.....mhmmmmm...... IT'S GORGEOUS!!!!!! <3 The way the train looks going threw the inversions is slick, smooth, quick and exciting and I can't bloody wait for more footage of this beast testing!

ALTON TOWERS YOU'VE EARNED YOURSELF A SMILING ADVOCATE BEFORE THE MARMALISATION PROCESS HAS EVEN BEGUN, WELL DONE! :D

I still have a feeling when the lights were on for that one night, the trains must of been tested.... I'm sure they are just going to release the footage of the trains going around as the official advert of the ride (because let's be honest... It looked pretty badass)..... So we will just have to wait until the advert is released (which will probably be later on this week (BGT i'm looking at you!))
Evostance

Tom_Jephson wrote: video is 92 seconds long, yet it has a ride time of 165 seconds... hmmmm  #-o
Add on say 30 seconds for the bits cut out.  Still leaves about 30 secs for the indoor part and half of the first lift?

Also, no marmaliser effects running on this?
Last edited by Evostance on Fri May 10, 2013 11:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
Nocama

I really think that the lift is the answer as we only saw the top of the lift hill with the morning show and Alton seem to skip out the start of the lift hill with their video, either that or the indoor section! What a stunning coaster we have here!
@jordywilsonmcr :)
RCD27

The air hill look AMAZING.

The Train looks like it wan't to fly off the track
Sonic Saw Stealth Smiler
Richardio123

Evostance wrote:
Tom_Jephson wrote: video is 92 seconds long, yet it has a ride time of 165 seconds... hmmmm  #-o
Add on say 10 seconds for the bits cut out.  Still leaves about a minute for the indoor part and half of the first lift..

i'd say 30 because of both lift hills were at the stop when recording  :D
Signature Pending.. ;D
Evostance

Richardio123 wrote:
Evostance wrote:
Add on say 10 seconds for the bits cut out.  Still leaves about a minute for the indoor part and half of the first lift..

i'd say 30 because of both lift hills were at the stop when recording  :D
Edited my post about 5 seconds before your post after rewatching ;)
temleh

Does Alton officially have the legendary 4 now instead of the legendary 3? (Nemesis, Oblivion, Air). ;) Watching the video, I'm glad this isn't a B&M! Gerst have EXCELLED! :)
Follow me on Instagram! @v05mattclay
JonoD

Well... With that, it's time to start abstaining from these boards until I ride XD All I'll say before I go... Holy crap that airtime hill under the Hypnotiser and Inoculator is going to be INSANE.
Liam B

I LOVE THE SOUNDTRACK IN THE BACK! its so creepy! hope they use that for background sound!
MatthewR1990

I'm sorry how many coincidences do we need with that vertical lift! I'm becoming more and more inclined to think that there is a fall back feature. Why edit it out? Just why?

Edit: also new entrance sign. Again just like the game. I hate to say it but I reckon we will have that rainbow staircase lmao.
Last edited by MatthewR1990 on Fri May 10, 2013 11:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
West Bromwich Albion until I die! I bleed blue and white.
Tom_Jephson

Right im using Nemesis94's recreation here to work this out... From leaving the station to the point in the off ride video is 32 seconds. Add on 92 seconds for everything in the off ride video. Thats 124 seconds. The corkscrew and vertical lift hill is another 31 seconds taking us up to 155 seconds. And then obviously the final break run adds another 10 seconds on taking you to roughly 165 seconds.
Obviously using the recreation with the official off ride video isn't entirely accurate but it gives you a good idea. It would also mean if my figures are right... no backwards drop on the vertical lift. 
Last edited by Tom_Jephson on Fri May 10, 2013 11:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
D-Man

This is just looking more awesome every day! The cars going round the track is exactly what I imagined  :D

My only bone to pick is the new entrance...... is that it? It's a box and a billboard? Doesn't look much compared to the other ride entrances around the park  :|
Alba gu brath! Scotland Forever!